Reaction to Coke's "America The Beautiful" ad

A lot of this conservative criticism comes off as just bigotry. I will admit that I found the commercial odd, but only because I previously identified that song as only sang in English. If anything, it ended up giving me an appreciation for different cultures/languages.

If people spent less time complaining about the world and more time finding ways to enjoy it, it'd be a much happier place.

• Fire 2

The same people who bitch about something like this will then go to the local small town festival celebrating the heritage of the people who settled there as immigrants. Just look at how many festivals like that we have in just Nebraska. Heck, when you drive into some small towns the signs on some businesses will be in Dutch or German celebrating that heritage. Around the country look at areas like Louisiana where in some areas French (or at least a cajun version of it) is still spoken. Look at the Amish areas where Pennsylvania Dutch is spoken. Look at areas in Chicago and NYC where Italian is still spoken and celebrated.

BUT...God forbid if a company puts a commercial out there celebrating the diversity we have in the US with the most recent immigrants.

To illustrate this, for example, when someone says they are both Gay and Christian...to me, that is logically impossible based on my beliefs which are rooted Biblicaly to what was taught to Christ and what Christ believed in.

Sinners can't be Christian?

Here we get into a sticky dilemma concerning definitions of gay and Christian and what exactly is meant by that (orientation, practicing, love, etc.) that doesn't really belong in this thread.

To illustrate this, for example, when someone says they are both Gay and Christian...to me, that is logically impossible based on my beliefs which are rooted Biblicaly to what was taught to Christ and what Christ believed in.

Here we get into a sticky dilemma concerning definitions of gay and Christian and what exactly is meant by that (orientation, practicing, love, etc.) that doesn't really belong in this thread.

Really? I'm admittedly quite removed from the church now . . . but from what I remember if a person accepted Jesus as his lord and savior, etc. it wouldn't matter if he was a sinner (in this case, gay) . . . because we're all sinners.

Sorry for the derail.

Really? I'm admittedly quite removed from the church now . . . but from what I remember if a person accepted Jesus as his lord and savior, etc. it wouldn't matter if he was a sinner (in this case, gay) . . . because we're all sinners.

Sorry for the derail.

I'll try not derailing it further, but the distinction lies in whether or not he meant a person of homosexual orientation or a person that practices homosexuality.

Accepting Jesus as lord and savior presupposes spiritual regeneration and repentance of sin - so believing homosexuality is sinful, you're right that it wouldn't matter if they had homosexual orientation, but it would matter if they were still engaging in homosexual acts and lifestyle.

It would matter the same as anyone who believes anything is a sin, yet still does it, thinks it, says it, does it, doesn't do it or any combination thereof.

A person knows self-aggrandizement is sinful, yet still boasts. That is no different than a Christian who is actively homosexual (according to some). But there is no worldwide pogrom against boasting.

The statement that originally started this conversation was, "...when someone says they are both Gay and Christian...to me, that is logically impossible." It is no more logically impossible to be gay and Christian than it is to be human and Christian - to be human is to be sinful, apart from God, unrighteous. The church calls homosexuality a sin, but it is just one amongst infinite kinds of sins.

The church has this absurd focus on homosexuals/homosexuality. At least the current Pope is trying to stop that.

• Fire 4

The statement that originally started this conversation was, "...when someone says they are both Gay and Christian...to me, that is logically impossible." It is no more logically impossible to be gay and Christian than it is to be human and Christian - to be human is to be sinful, apart from God, unrighteous. The church calls homosexuality a sin, but it is just one amongst infinite kinds of sins.

The church has this absurd focus on homosexuals/homosexuality. At least the current Pope is trying to stop that.

Perfectly said. +1