Reaction to Coke's "America The Beautiful" ad

It would matter the same as anyone who believes anything is a sin, yet still does it, thinks it, says it, does it, doesn't do it or any combination thereof.

A person knows self-aggrandizement is sinful, yet still boasts. That is no different than a Christian who is actively homosexual (according to some). But there is no worldwide pogrom against boasting.

The statement that originally started this conversation was, "...when someone says they are both Gay and Christian...to me, that is logically impossible." It is no more logically impossible to be gay and Christian than it is to be human and Christian - to be human is to be sinful, apart from God, unrighteous. The church calls homosexuality a sin, but it is just one amongst infinite kinds of sins.

The church has this absurd focus on homosexuals/homosexuality. At least the current Pope is trying to stop that.

Unfortunately "The Church" has an absurd focus. When you actually get to church level you will see that most do not follow in that same path.

My statement I made is an absolute truth. It is written in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin. That is an absolute statement in the Bible in both OT and NT...it is an absolute tenant believed by both Jesus and ALL of his disciples.

Two things:

#1 I just did a search through my entire Bible software which includes essentially every English translation - "homosexuality is a sin" yielded zero results. Do you mind giving the scriptural reference to where that is an absolute statement written in there?

#2 Do you consider someone that is only attracted to the same sex, not attracted to the opposite sex, but not marrying, not entering into relationships and not engaging in sexual activity to be in sin?

To illustrate this, for example, when someone says they are both Gay and Christian...to me, that is logically impossible based on my beliefs which are rooted Biblicaly to what was taught to Christ and what Christ believed in.

Sinners can't be Christian?

Sinners who know the truth of Gods word and continue to sin cannot be Christian as it is illogical...otherwise, we don't need to repent from sin and we don't need forgiveness of sin...this in turn mitigates the sacrifice Jesus made for us and removes the sanctification of God's name as the purpose of Jesus even being sent to Earth which in turn negates the entire setup of Christianity. But hey, no big deal right? :P

Just look at John chapters 8 through 15 where Jesus says quite a few times 'go and sin no more' after he helps someone...Jesus was differentiating between inherent sin, for which his sacrifice is the only forgiveness...and willful sin...of which we must repent and turn away from.

Now I'm not trying to say that being homosexual is the worst thing EVAR or anything...that's a personal choice for people and I'm not here to knock it...but no one gets to tell me what my religious beliefs are...so I'm not going to stick my nose into what people's personal choices/beliefs are...a kind of tit for tat so to speak. That's how I approach my religious beliefs and my conservative views.

Well, for everyone who doesn't like Christianity, they should be happy. It has been proclaimed it is illogical that there are any Christians on the face of the Earth.

• Fire 1

It would matter the same as anyone who believes anything is a sin, yet still does it, thinks it, says it, does it, doesn't do it or any combination thereof.

A person knows self-aggrandizement is sinful, yet still boasts. That is no different than a Christian who is actively homosexual (according to some). But there is no worldwide pogrom against boasting.

The statement that originally started this conversation was, "...when someone says they are both Gay and Christian...to me, that is logically impossible." It is no more logically impossible to be gay and Christian than it is to be human and Christian - to be human is to be sinful, apart from God, unrighteous. The church calls homosexuality a sin, but it is just one amongst infinite kinds of sins.

The church has this absurd focus on homosexuals/homosexuality. At least the current Pope is trying to stop that.

Well, you're twisting things man.

First off, you're taking something that is logically impossible and then giving a counter argument (you're committing a propositional fallacy) you deem as true. My statement I made is an absolute truth. It is written in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin. That is an absolute statement in the Bible in both OT and NT...it is an absolute tenant believed by both Jesus and ALL of his disciples.

Jesus would not have been able to enter a temple or preach in a temple or read from scrolls or debate with learned men in the temple had he not been a 100% practicing Jew covered by the Jewish Law. As he was a Jew and governed by this Jewish law, he ABSOLUTELY HAD to believe that homosexuality is a sin. Now, that didn't mean he didn't want to preach to homosexuals, thieves, adulterers, etc. by any means...he knew that sinners needed the MOST help so that's why he surrounded himself by them and preached to them.

So it's great that people want to have their cake and eat it too...but that's just not how the Bible, the word of God...from which all Christian beliefs are supposed to be governed...does things. It's not what Jesus, nor any of his disciples, believed. Anyone who tells you different is ignoring the word of God.

Like I said, I could care less about the politics of the matter...go ahead and let gay marriage become law, whatever. I don't mind at all. I don't actively seek out people who are homosexual and go on rants against them any more than I seek out other 'sinners' and rant on them...that's not a Christian thing to do imho. But please, please, please don't think for a second that it's ok to ignore the word of God and still be a 'Christian'.

Please quote Book, Chapter and verse where Jesus stated homosexuality is a sin. Do the same for the Disciples if you have time.

If you're basing your belief that Jesus condemned homosexuality as a sin based on his adherence to Judaic law, you also must believe that Jesus believed divorce was against God's law, attending church within two months of giving birth to a girl is against God's law... in short, everything proscribed in Leviticus, which is a rather lengthy list. Drinking wine in church? Oops - big problem there.

Two things:

#1 I just did a search through my entire Bible software which includes essentially every English translation - "homosexuality is a sin" yielded zero results. Do you mind giving the scriptural reference to where that is an absolute statement written in there?

#2 Do you consider someone that is only attracted to the same sex, not attracted to the opposite sex, but not marrying, not entering into relationships and not engaging in sexual activity to be in sin?

Please quote Book, Chapter and verse where Jesus stated homosexuality is a sin. Do the same for the Disciples if you have time.

If you're basing your belief that Jesus condemned homosexuality as a sin based on his adherence to Judaic law, you also must believe that Jesus believed divorce was against God's law, attending church within two months of giving birth to a girl is against God's law... in short, everything proscribed in Leviticus, which is a rather lengthy list. Drinking wine in church? Oops - big problem there.

The thing about Christianity is there are a lot of ways to interpret the Bible. That’s largely why there are dozens of different Christian denominations. Some of those denominations feel homosexuality is a sin. Jesus never said it was a sin, as far as I know. But there is support in the New Testament for the proposition. For example, the verses that Devnet pointed out, and in particular Romans 1:26-27 and I Cor. 6:9-10. So wouldn’t Devnet’s beliefs be every bit as valid and supportable as those who say homosexuality is not a sin?

As for me, I don’t know. The verses I pointed to above seem fairly clear cut. OTOH, how can something that’s inherent be a sin? It’s not like people choose to be gay. Or they become gay from listening to too many Abba songs. So I don’t really know. But that’s okay. My opinion doesn’t really matter as to whether something is, or isn’t, a sin. And neither does any other person’s.

And what are we to do if we find ourselves practicing the sins above (as well as other sins...not just the one we're debating)

Ephesians 4:17-24 which, summing it up, says to stop doing the sin and turn away from it.

Can you still answer this please?

I don't know what's more amusing, the people who get bent out of shape about commercials/things like this or the people who get bent out of shape that there are people getting bent out of shape over commercials/things like this.

I said the exact same thing when a few of us were chatting about this on Monday lol!

Cool to stay out of the fray and all, but is there something not concerning and outrage worthy over some of the disgusting attitudes Americans with no perspective have been expressing about the celebration of diversity?

• Fire 2

i dont have any racial mindsets on this at all. The only things I will say is one, this is a marketing ploy by Coke. They knew what can they were opening. And 2, the only problem I have is that I dont really like any sort of altering when it comes to singing the songs of our country. It pretty much pisses me off when we have bands and singers that think they have add their own little snippets or make their own renditions and/or alter of our sacred anthems. That's the only problem I have with it. Our country's songs and anthems are written in our language, and I just prefer they stay that way. And I'll even say that the language part doesnt really make me angry like the althering of the overall song does. It's just a preference, and I also understand that it's a progressing world and bla bla bla. So that is what it is. Other than that, the other details of the commercial, meh, who cares. There's nothin wrong with that. I guess I dont understand the racial anger. That's a bit absurd. Cuz diversity is what this country is built of off. And these attitudes are from someone (myself) that considers himself to be rather conservative in beliefs.

Just my two cents on the situation. Thought'd I'd throw it in.

I don't know what's more amusing, the people who get bent out of shape about commercials/things like this or the people who get bent out of shape that there are people getting bent out of shape over commercials/things like this.

I said the exact same thing when a few of us were chatting about this on Monday lol!

Cool to stay out of the fray and all, but is there something not concerning and outrage worthy over some of the disgusting attitudes Americans with no perspective have been expressing about the celebration of diversity?

Not really. This is an occurrence that takes place 24/7 in this country. If people want to embrace it, great. If not, whatever floats their boats.

Also, why do you assume that they have no perspective?

Our country's songs and anthems are written in our language, and I just prefer they stay that way.

This is either a Freudian slip or some privileged ignorance, or both.

You got me. slip I guess. Let me change that to "....written in english(or "the language they were written in")......"

I know what youre saying. And like I said, I prefer they stay in english. That is the language of our country anyway. But like I also said, I understand all the stuff about change and diversity and all this and that.

And what are we to do if we find ourselves practicing the sins above (as well as other sins...not just the one we're debating)

Ephesians 4:17-24 which, summing it up, says to stop doing the sin and turn away from it.

Can you still answer this please?

No, the sin is in the action not the temptation. If I'm temped to steal something but I don't does that make me a thief? If I want to lie but I don't am I a liar?