Reaction to Coke's "America The Beautiful" ad

When I saw it air, I knew there would be some people who were peeved. You will not be surprised who is.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/02/02/Why-Coca-Cola-America-The-Beautiful-Ad-Was-Offensive

Executives at Coca Cola thought it was a good idea to run a 60 second Super Bowl ad featuring children singing "America the Beautiful" – a deeply Christian patriotic anthem whose theme is unity – in several foreign languages. The ad also prominently features a gay couple.

Conservatives instantly lit up social media with objections, with many vowing to boycott the soda company's products.

“If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing 'American the Beautiful' in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition," said former GOP Rep. Allen West.

You know... because no Christians speak any language other than English... and absolutely no gays identify as Christian. Then there's this gem:

As far as the executives at Coca Cola are concerned, however, the United States of America is no longer a nation ruled by the Constitution and American traditions in which English is the language of government. It is not a nation governed in the Anglo-American tradition of liberty. It is instead a nation governed by some all inclusive multi-cultural synthesis of the various forms of government in the world, as expressed by the multiple languages used in the Super Bowl ad to sing a uniquely American hymn that celebrates our heritage.

Just... I don't even know where to begin.

Ha ha! When that song was playing my exact thoughts were: 1) This is sort of cool. 2) There will be some jackwads who get all bent out of shape over the non-English lyrics.

I'm positive that Coke did this just to create a stir. So people would remember the commercial and talk about it.

I thought the same thing when it aired. People are going to go bat sh#t crazy over this.

I do believe in the "tradition" of some things, though. Patriotic songs being one of them. I don't like when people take the National Anthem and murder it trying to be "artistic" and I feel that America the Beautiful is best sung in English.

Having said that, I gave it no more thought once the commercial was over. Same as the bi-racial family Cheerios commercial. Saw it. recognized it for what it was. watched the next commercial.

Come on people. It's the same as if the Super Bowl organizers would have allowed the Daniel Defense commercial about home defense. Every anti-gun tard would have been frothing at the mouth. Every single person has their issue that sets them off. Some have more than others :D

fyi; I didn't see the commercials or the game so I have no clue other than reading about it. I was watching the Ice Age and Twilight movies with my nieces :)

• Fire 1

Come on people. It's the same as if the Super Bowl organizers would have allowed the Daniel Defense commercial about home defense. Every anti-gun tard would have been frothing at the mouth. Every single person has their issue that sets them off. Some have more than others :D

fyi; I didn't see the commercials or the game so I have no clue other than reading about it. I was watching the Ice Age and Twilight movies with my nieces :)

I have no problem with you not watching the Super Bowl. But Twilight? That should be revocation of a man card regardless of what day you watch it.

• Fire 2

I thought it was a beautiful and sweet commercial. Very well done by Coca-Cola. Probably my favorite one I saw all night...that, and the '24' teasers! Saaaaaaaaahweeeeet.

yes, the 24 teasers were great - wonderful hearing the sounds of the seconds ticking again-- regarding the Coke commercial - I saw it as representing America as the great melting pot that it is - people from all over coming here. Also the little girl from the Cheerios commercial made us (wife and I) react in laughter wt the demand of a puppy in exchange for excepting an new baby brother. Again another commercial that showed America for what it is - mixed in every sort of way. Diversity is a good thing.

• Fire 3

I thought it was a beautiful and sweet commercial. Very well done by Coca-Cola. Probably my favorite one I saw all night...that, and the '24' teasers! Saaaaaaaaahweeeeet.

I thought the very last 24 commercial was dumb. but the rest were cool.

Yea, the last one was a bit over the top. But hey - Jack is Back!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/02/02/brooklyn-nine-nine-enlisted-and-televisions-acceptance-of-societal-hero-humor/

People really need to pull their heads out. Until fairly recently (post WWII really) many to most Americans were bi-lingual. English, and the 'mother country'

Unless your ancestors are ALL English, Irish or one of the other British Isle countries, they spoke another language when they arrived here, and many would often speak it at home, or with others in that ethnic community. The lack of history and perspective is appalling sometimes.

• Fire 2