Spurrier Calls out B1G School for Negative Recruiting

McClain is the only USC commit in the last 4 months with a visit to a B1G school. We also had a visit by Lamin. They don't have any recruits that took OVs to any other school in the B1G. I'd go out on a limb here and say Spurrier is directing this at Nebraska. Crime, big city, graduation rates? Gotta be. Isn't Lincoln bigger than Columbia though?

We don’t run into much of any negative recruiting around here as SEC coaches,” Spurrier said. “We were involved with a player who was being recruited by a Big Ten school. They got negative a little bit with, ‘There’s a lot of crime in Columbia, the big city. They don’t graduate their players,’ which was completely untrue. They searched for a little bit of everything, but the player came with us anyways.

http://college-footb...-ten/?eref=sihp

There is a lot of crime in Columbia. Specifically, the 5 points area (college hangout). I live in the 'burbs of Columbia.

A freshman girl got shot by a stray bullet and paralyzed after going to get something to eat down there. Lots of shootings.

i would have never guessed. sounds like the B1G was doing a public service warning the young man.

"The Columbia crime rate is much higher than the South Carolina average crime rate and is much higher than the national average crime rate."

According to this article, USC graduates 55% of their players.

Nebraska's graduation rate is 67%.

I call BS on the "we don't see negative recruiting from other SEC coaches."

General article on all SEC recruiting

Mark Richt discussing negative recruiting

SEC blog about negative recruiting

SECRant forum discussing Tennessee negative recruiting

There are dozens more. I'm sure you could find the same or similar articles, blogs, forum discussions & tweets about the Big Ten, PAC-12, the Texas conference, etc.

The takeaway from that comment isn't that a Big Ten school negatively recruited - they all probably do - but that Spurrier said with what I'm presuming was a straight face that he doesn't see that in the SEC.

• Fire 8

The takeaway from that comment isn't that a Big Ten school negatively recruited - they all probably do - but that Spurrier said with what I'm presuming was a straight face that he doesn't see that in the SEC.

he might not because maybe all SEC schools face the same high crime rates and same low graduate rates.