Spurrier Calls out B1G School for Negative Recruiting

Yawn.

“We don’t run into much of any negative recruiting around here as SEC coaches."

When he says BS like this, it's hard to take anything else he says seriously.

Spurrier will also soon be calling out Lorenzo Ward for negative recruiting as well, apparently:

South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward acknowledged last November that the gang violence in Columbia's Five Points bar district is something that he's had to answer for on the recruiting trail.

Yawn.

“We don’t run into much of any negative recruiting around here as SEC coaches."

When he says BS like this, it's hard to take anything else he says seriously.

I think it's a non-story. I'm sure "negative" recruiting happens all the time, it would only make sense, there's stuff that can be said against Lincoln as well. As far as the criticisms about USC (they were what, crime and graduation?) I'm not really offended or annoyed by it because some of it is true. Columbia is a big city for SC and there is a crime problem in certain areas just like any town but I never had any issues, not once, and I drank in 5 points at least twice week though I have heard its gotten rougher, part of that is because Five Points is just a few blocks down from a fairly large area of housing projects. Campus and the immediate areas around it, were all extremely safe and well policed in my time there. I never feared for my safety.

Is it more dangerous than Lincoln, Madison or Clemson? Yes. Is it Compton, Baltimore, Chicago or Atlanta? Not even close.

As far as graduation? Meh, fair. I don't know what's going on with that and I don't really care.

I do have one issue with the posts here though and it's about the size of Columbia. You guys don't seem to understand metropolitan areas. City limits don't accurately capture a city's size, for example, just on city size, San Antonio is the seventh largest city in the US, as far as metros go it's 25th.

So here:

City Size

Columbus OH - 809k

Minneapolis MN - 382k

Lexington KY - 305k

Lincoln NE - 265k

Madison WI - 240k

Baton Rouge LA - 229k

Knoxville TN - 182k

Columbia SC - 131k

Gainsville FL - 126k

Athens GA - 115k

Ann Arbor MI - 113k

Columbia MO - 108k

College Station TX - 99k

Tuscaloosa AL - 93k

Champaign IL - 82k

Bloomington IN - 80k

Fayetteville AR - 75k

Evanston IL - 75k

Iowa City IA - 67k

Auburn AL - 56k

East Lansing MI - 48k

State College PA - 42k

West Lafayette IN - 29k

Starkville MS - 23k

Oxford MS - 18k

Metro Size

Evanston IL - 9,522k (Chicago/Cook County)

Minneapolis MN - 3,422k

Columbus OH - 1,944k

Knoxville TN - 848k

Baton Rouge LA - 815k

Columbia SC - 784k

Madison WI - 620k

Lexington KY - 485k

East Lansing MI - 464k

Fayetteville AR - 463k

Ann Arbor MI - 344k

Lincoln NE - 310k

Gainsville FL - 268k

Tuscaloosa AL - 233k

Champaign IL - 231k

College Station TX - 231k

Athens GA - 192k

West Lafayette IN - 182k

Columbia MO - 175k

Bloomington IN - 175k

State College PA - 153k

Iowa City IA - 152k

Auburn AL - 147k

Oxford MS - 18k

Starkville MS - 23k

It's actually a bigger story (or should be) that Spurrier thought it necessary to cry "negative recruiting" to the press about those statements. They're innocuous, not factually inaccurate, and they're not different than what his own DC is telling recruits.

The question isn't whether any recruiter from Nebraska said these things, it's why Spurrier thought they were so horrible that he had to go public with them. There's clearly an agenda beyond "higher crime rate" and "lower graduation rate" here.

FWIW - there's a thread over on the Wisky forum at 247. They're wondering if this comment is directed at them.

Frankly, if this was a Nebraska coach and they did say something like "the crime rate is higher" and "we graduate more players," I'm totally fine with that. It's how you sell your school/town, and according to the stats I posted above, both are true.

Yea, that's not really negative recruiting. That's just pointing out facts.

It's actually a bigger story (or should be) that Spurrier thought it necessary to cry "negative recruiting" to the press about those statements. They're innocuous, not factually inaccurate, and they're not different than what his own DC is telling recruits.

The question isn't whether any recruiter from Nebraska said these things, it's why Spurrier thought they were so horrible that he had to go public with them. There's clearly an agenda beyond "higher crime rate" and "lower graduation rate" here.

It really isn't. He enjoys trolling sports media, other coaches and the CFB world in general. Has for a while now. He's an old successful man and he's damn good at riling people up. He clearly enjoys it. This isn't Saban and BB going to an NCAA committee to complain, this is Spurrier making a veiled suggestion to try to spin some wheels...that's how he starts ribbing people. Slight jabs to draw someone else in and Bo, like Dabo, is a perfect target.

Now I said earlier that I think negative recruiting is somewhat common I think that Spurrier may be right that he doesn't encounter it that often in the SEC. His main recruiting rivals in the SEC, mainly UF, UT and UGA are all on similar levels so negative recruiting isn't going to do much and any in-state battles USC gets into with Clemson, well those kids already know the score. I could see how national recruiting battles rather than regional ones would bring out more negative recruiting. He's not the first coach to notice that B1G coaches can be a little bit squirrely with recruiting, two B1G coaches noticed it about Urban Meyer recently.

You must not pay much attention to tOBC. He enjoys trolling sports media, other coaches and the CFB world in general. Has for a while now. He's an old successful man and he's damn good at riling people up. He clearly enjoys it. This isn't Saban and BB going to an NCAA committee to complain, this is Spurrier making a veiled suggestion to try to spin some wheels...that's how he starts ribbing people. Slight jabs to draw someone else in and Bo, like Dabo, is a perfect target.

Those are admirable qualities in a head football coach.

Also, since we seem to be maintaining the fiction that negative recruiting doesn't happen in the SEC....

I call BS on the "we don't see negative recruiting from other SEC coaches."

General article on all SEC recruiting

Mark Richt discussing negative recruiting

SEC blog about negative recruiting

SECRant forum discussing Tennessee negative recruiting

There are dozens more. I'm sure you could find the same or similar articles, blogs, forum discussions & tweets about the Big Ten, PAC-12, the Texas conference, etc.

The takeaway from that comment isn't that a Big Ten school negatively recruited - they all probably do - but that Spurrier said with what I'm presuming was a straight face that he doesn't see that in the SEC.

You must not pay much attention to tOBC. He enjoys trolling sports media, other coaches and the CFB world in general. Has for a while now. He's an old successful man and he's damn good at riling people up. He clearly enjoys it. This isn't Saban and BB going to an NCAA committee to complain, this is Spurrier making a veiled suggestion to try to spin some wheels...that's how he starts ribbing people. Slight jabs to draw someone else in and Bo, like Dabo, is a perfect target.

Those are admirable qualities in a head football coach.

I know you're being sarcastic and while I don't think they're "admirable" I think it's just fine. It's entertaining and his record speaks for itself. He's a very good coach. I'd rather him be relaxed with the media, enjoy his job and bring some humor to the table than be an angry barrel of gunpowder like some other coaches out there.