Spurrier Calls out B1G School for Negative Recruiting

Frankly, if this was a Nebraska coach and they did say something like "the crime rate is higher" and "we graduate more players," I'm totally fine with that. It's how you sell your school/town, and according to the stats I posted above, both are true.

exactly. as long as it is true, what is the big deal? if you say you have "better fans" or "better facilities", you are implicitly saying that other places have worse fans and facilities. so, there is always a negative connotation to other programs. but if you say something that you can empirically backup, you just as well explicitly say it. you are selling your school against other schools, not just trying to be the best fit.

Usually when I hear "negative recruiting," I think of unfounded allegations regarding the other program/coaches. Pointing out substantiated census(-like) data doesn't get me too steamed up.

You don't think kids hear about how far Nebraska is from home? Same thing.

Spurrier seems pissed he probably had to pay a little more to land the kid after his smoke and mirrors didn't work as planned.

You've got to be kidding me. These coaches are actually talking demographics to these kids to persuade them? And crime of all things. The country where gun crimes happen randomly in small towns and large cities. I just don't see how this is a selling point for a student athlete.

McClain is the only USC commit in the last 4 months with a visit to a B1G school. We also had a visit by Lamin. They don't have any recruits that took OVs to any other school in the B1G. I'd go out on a limb here and say Spurrier is directing this at Nebraska. Crime, big city, graduation rates? Gotta be. Isn't Lincoln bigger than Columbia though?

We don’t run into much of any negative recruiting around here as SEC coaches,” Spurrier said. “We were involved with a player who was being recruited by a Big Ten school. They got negative a little bit with, ‘There’s a lot of crime in Columbia, the big city. They don’t graduate their players,’ which was completely untrue. They searched for a little bit of everything, but the player came with us anyways.

http://college-footb...-ten/?eref=sihp

Anyone using the term "anyways" (instead of anyway) is just plain illiterate.

Spurrier either needs to quite beating around the bush and spill the beans or just shut his whiney mouth.

FIFY

What a freakin whining cry baby. This does make some sense though. B1G school tells recruit the truth and Spurrier laments that it's negative recruiting. He's probably right, I doubt there is much "truth telling" to recruits in the SEC. The concept is so foreign to him, he had to whine about it.