Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

I have a daughter, so I'll use that as the example. I would tell her I love her and engaging in same sex relationships is not how God would want her to live her life. If she still chose to, I wouldn't stop loving her, but would not allow them to share the same bedroom in my home.

Would you say, "Honey, you're my daughter and I love you, but you are a gambling, boozing whoremonger."?

• Fire 1

So the idea of the University being a place where the free flow of ideas being encouraged is actually a myth.

I don't mean running up to gay couples and calling them sinners. I mean more in academic conversations, or, if there is a forum for orginizations to have a booth, & PFLAG has a booth, is the Family Research Council welcome as well?

Or if a group is circulating a petition supporting gay marriage, are people equally free to circulate petitions against gay marriage?

I have a daughter, so I'll use that as the example. I would tell her I love her and engaging in same sex relationships is not how God would want her to live her life. If she still chose to, I wouldn't stop loving her, but would not allow them to share the same bedroom in my home.

Would you say, "Honey, you're my daughter and I love you, but you are a gambling, boozing whoremonger."?

Replace "homosexual" with "negro" and get a glimpse of how these tortured defenses of Ron Brown will look in 30 years.

Wut?? So Christians claim it's a sin to be BLACK! That's outrageous!!

/ stupid response to stupid post

So the idea of the University being a place where the free flow of ideas being encouraged is actually a myth.

I don't mean running up to gay couples and calling them sinners. I mean more in academic conversations, or, if there is a forum for orginizations to have a booth, & PFLAG has a booth, is the Family Research Council welcome as well?

Or if a group is circulating a petition supporting gay marriage, are people equally free to circulate petitions against gay marriage?

It's absolutely not a myth. There are people that stand out front of the student union and tell everyone they are sinners and going to hell. And there are also the LGBT groups that try to raise awareness for their views. There are a good number of religious organizations and a fair number of the "equal rights" organizations.

Knap gave you a perfect example of how tolerant college is. College is overflowing with different view points and beliefs. If you're not forcing your views on anyone you will be overwhelmingly accepted. In my time at UNL I hung out with pot smokers, boozers (or college kids if you will), other drug users, hardcore Catholics, moderate Catholics, Bereans, Lutherans, Jews, Muslims, Atheist, and general "non believers". And you know what, we all get along pretty well and know how to have a good time. That doesn't mean we didn't have the occasional philosophical/religious discussions that could get pretty heated, but in the end you just have to agree to disagree. That doesn't mean you can't still be friends though.

I'll tell you honestly, it's troubling that you're putting so much thought and effort into this. The mental gymnastics you're undertaking to justify bigotry against gays does not meet the tenets of Christianity as I know them. And if your response to that is that homosexuality is a sin, two responses 1) it's a sin to you and to some (but not all) Christians, 2) what you consider a sin is not the concern of someone who does not share that view, nor do you or any other Christian have a right or any kind of moral authority to make it known to them.

But to address your point:

You're asking if it's OK to actively try to oppress the rights of a group of people, and equating that to those people trying to exercise the basic rights they are denied. No, those two are not the same. The First Amendment offers protection to people to express themselves, so I suppose if the anti-gay rights folks wanted to circulate their petition they could join up with other hate groups and share ideas on how to spread that hate. It's protected speech - it's just wrong.

You're not asking if universities are receptive to "the free flow of ideas." You're asking if universities are a safe place to exhibit bigotry, and the answer is that no, they should not be. It is not an infringement on you for the homosexual to dance with his boyfriend, or marry him. It is an infringement for you to tell him he's wrong, or actively try to legislate against their right to do so.

You're also equating a known hate group (FRC) with PFLAG, and again I deny that the two are equated in any way. The members of PFLAG aren't telling you that you cannot be Christian, or raise your family how you see fit, but the FRC is doing just that, and actively so.

• Fire 1

Knapp,

Hopefully you know by now my feelings on gay rights and that they should be treated with respect no different than anyone else. It's not our place on earth to judge someone based on this.

However, I find myself cringing on your posts. To shorten what I'm reading into one sentence, I'm reading....."you have freedom of speech but if you are a Christian and think homosexuality is a sin then shut your mouth and you shouldn't say anything."

This is similar in my mind to someone burning the flag. The flag is something very emotional for some people. I don't agree with burning it. But, I feel like I support their freedom to burn it.

I find your comments coming across as....."I don't agree with you so shut up".

Thread recap-

Ex Husker kicker (who nobody really remebers or has heard of) comes out and tells us he is/was gay and someone on staff made him feel a bit uncomfortable.

Ron Bown is thrust into the discussion because he has made his views on homosexuality being a sin well known, even though it has been established he was not on staff at that time and even though he has made his views known on numerous things he considers sinful. Main difference being, he has gone out of his way to rail against an ordinance that would provide protected status to gay people and also went out of his way to use his position as a NU coach in the discourse.

Chistianity is brought into the discussion because RB is a Christian and because some members/denominations of Christianity feel the need to cast the first stone instead of loving their neighbor as themselves.

Result- Typical place for any thread on HB involving gays and religion. Off season profit.

Slightly on topic- Does anyone remember sister Pat who used to preach about sin out in front of the student union back in the 80's? I used to get a kick out of her. She would be all fire and brimstone about the college boys and promiscuous sex and masturbation. It was awesome to pause between classes and listen to her rip and argue with people in the crowd.