Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

I'm a little surprised and quite ashamed that apparently so many think Ron would be/might be the person to make him feel uncomfortable. I know Ron's public position on the subject very well but I also feel I know quite a bit more about him as a person. IMO, he would be the last person on staff to make a gay person feel unwelcomed or uncomfortable.

• Fire 3

I'm a little surprised and quite ashamed that apparently so many think Ron would be/might be the person to make him feel uncomfortable. I know Ron's public position on the subject very well but I also feel I know quite a bit more about him as a person. IMO, he would be the last person on staff to make a gay person feel unwelcomed or uncomfortable.

Ron knows what the Bible says about it, but he also knows that he isn't the one to judge others. Slippery slope.

Interesting that the team and media chose to keep this in the closet even though the player was openly gay. Does this perhaps say something about the tolerance for this in the state of Nebraska being less than we thought it was? LINK

i don't know, jj. i see what you are saying, but when you have publicly lobbied for the legality to discriminate against homosexuals, you can not be too surprised that some people might think you would make homosexuals feel uncomfortable.

He also publicly preaches Christianity but doesn't make Ameer Abdullah at all uncomfortable. Quite the opposite in fact. I think he can separate things out.

i don't know, jj. i see what you are saying, but when you have publicly lobbied for the legality to discriminate against homosexuals, you can not be too surprised that some people might think you would make homosexuals feel uncomfortable.

He also publicly preaches Christianity but doesn't make Ameer Abdullah at all uncomfortable. Quite the opposite in fact. I think he can separate things out.

He can also carefully backpedal as he realizes he's on the short end of history, and even the local community is no longer buying this particular brand of brimstone.

This was back in 2003-2006. It was a very different world then and I think the backlash would have been much stronger. The sea change in public opinion has really been in the last four to six years, I think...cool that the team was supportive and never made a deal about it, and respected his privacy. His story can't be unique - not even close. I can understand not coming out publicly when you're neither prepared to do so (Michael Sam has a great media team behind his effort) and when the nation isn't prepared for the conversation (as I don't think it was back then).

i am pretty sure ameer is christian. and i am not saying he would make a homosexual player uncomfortable, but it is not completely irrational to think he might.

Ameer is Muslim.

oh. i always, for some reason, just thought he was christian. but i guess i never really think about it.

but my point still stands. being muslim and being gay is not the same thing and because a christian is open to one does not mean he would be open to the other. ron brown has made homosexuals uncomfortable, maybe not personally. but certainly in public with his lobbying. and again, that is not to say that he would be anything but compassionate and caring for a gay player. but if people assumed he would not be, that it not completely irrational.