Post Season Tournament Possibilities

Mavric

Just the fact that we have no basketball history will make it tough to jump us in. If it's between us and MN and say we have the slight edge in almost every category, I still think they chose MN.

Minnesota's RPI is 33. Ours is 52. They have the #4 SOS. Ours is 17. They are 2-4 against the Top 25. We are 2-6. I'm not sure what advantage we have over them.

There is the head-to-head victory, but I don't know if that counts for anything.

And the fact that we might finish with a better record in the B1G and finish the season on a hot streak.

NEB is 5-1 in last 6. MN is 2-4 in last 6.

That's what I was going at. They have a much harder schedule and on paper should go 3-3. They could slip up and go 2-4. After that is accounted for we would have the better record, head to head, RPI, etc.

USA Today Bracketology

Last 5 in: Providence, Tennessee, Georgetown, St. Joe's, Oklahoma State

First 5 out: Oregon, Dayton, West Virginia, St. Johns, Baylor

Others considered: Southern Mississippi, Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, Indiana State, Florida State, N.C. State, BYU, Saint Mary's, Nebraska

That is such a joke okie state is still in. I believe they are 4-9 in the big 12 or something similar to that.

USA Today Bracketology

Last 5 in: Providence, Tennessee, Georgetown, St. Joe's, Oklahoma State

First 5 out: Oregon, Dayton, West Virginia, St. Johns, Baylor

Others considered: Southern Mississippi, Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, Indiana State, Florida State, N.C. State, BYU, Saint Mary's, Nebraska

That is such a joke okie state is still in. I believe they are 4-9 in the big 12 or something similar to that.

Yep. 9th in the league.

I think all of these projections take a long term look, projecting where teams will be come Selection Sunday. So they look at a team like Nebraska and assume that, while the run that we are on is phenomenal, it could just be a hot streak and we are more likely to crash down the stretch. When they look at a team like Oklahoma State and Oregon, teams with a lot of "talent", they assume that they'll right the ship, and that righting of the ship should get them into the tournament.

Now, we know better. Oklahoma State is in a free fall, and there's no way that they right the ship in their last few games. They'll eventually fall out of the tourney and into the NIT; same goes for Oregon. There's no way that Georgetown should make the tournament, either.

Minnesota is also a team looking to play itself out of the tournament. All we need to do, is win one game at a time, hopefully managing a 4-1 record down the stretch with a loss against Wisconsin being okay.

The way I see it:

19-11: we'll need two conference tournament wins to finish 21-12, which will put us on the bubble probably the last 4 in to the tournament.

20-10: we'll need one conference tournament win to finish 21-11, which will put us on the bubble probably the last 4 in to the tournament.

Anything more than that, we're in. Anything less than that, we're in the NIT. Either way, it's been a phenomenal second season under Tim Miles.

I think all of these projections take a long term look, projecting where teams will be come Selection Sunday. So they look at a team like Nebraska and assume that, while the run that we are on is phenomenal, it could just be a hot streak and we are more likely to crash down the stretch. When they look at a team like Oklahoma State and Oregon, teams with a lot of "talent", they assume that they'll right the ship, and that righting of the ship should get them into the tournament.

Now, we know better. Oklahoma State is in a free fall, and there's no way that they right the ship in their last few games. They'll eventually fall out of the tourney and into the NIT; same goes for Oregon. There's no way that Georgetown should make the tournament, either.

Minnesota is also a team looking to play itself out of the tournament. All we need to do, is win one game at a time, hopefully managing a 4-1 record down the stretch with a loss against Wisconsin being okay.

The way I see it:

18-11: we'll need two conference tournament wins to finish 20-12, which will put us on the bubble probably the last 4 in to the tournament.

19-10: we'll need one conference tournament win to finish 20-11, which will put us on the bubble probably the last 4 in to the tournament.

Anything more than that, we're in. Anything less than that, we're in the NIT. Either way, it's been a phenomenal second season under Tim Miles.

You've got your numbers wrong. We have 6 games left. We would be 20-10 if we win all 6. 19-11 if we drop one. And 18-12 if we go 4-2

The way I see it:

19-11: we'll need two conference tournament wins to finish 21-12, which will put us on the bubble probably the last 4 in to the tournament.

20-10: we'll need one conference tournament win to finish 21-12, which will put us on the bubble probably the last 4 in to the tournament.

You've got your numbers wrong. We have 6 games left. We would be 20-10 if we win all 6. 19-11 if we drop one. And 18-12 if we go 4-2

I keep thinking we have 5 games left. Second time I've done that today. Numbers are changed in this post.