Spring Game - who - what do you want to see?

TGHusker

Great weather and recruits on the sidelines. Hope the turnout is good with the game being on BTN, unfortunately I have to work and can't make it.

Like the rest of the board I'm psyched to see Stanton. Also looking forward to see Taylor and Lewis work.

Would like to see us take care of the ball

Stanton. For some reason I'm already envisioning he and Armstrong splitting time in the fall.

I'm hoping to see a turkey in back of my truck in time to watch the game.

Oh, and I've already moved on from Armstrong, I think that the anti Taylor crowd already soured me on the kid, unfortunately. Here's Johnny!!!!

So much potential here!! Too many talented linebackers to not run it

We have several talented linebackers, but I'm not sure if we have the line to run that scheme. The most important position in a base 3-4 is DT, and they have to be massive and command a double team on just about every down. We have a couple of guys that could fit the "massive" part, but good enough to command a double team? Not sure. Our run defense was already pretty susceptible to big runs up the middle last season (especially early in the season). A poorly executed 3-4 could make that even worse.

We have several talented linebackers, but I'm not sure if we have the line to run that scheme. The most important position in a base 3-4 is DT, and they have to be massive and command a double team on just about every down. We have a couple of guys that could fit the "massive" part, but good enough to command a double team? Not sure. Our run defense was already pretty susceptible to big runs up the middle last season (especially early in the season). A poorly executed 3-4 could make that even worse.

no question, we have to stop the run this year.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure Valentine was commanding a double team from opposing offensive lines.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure Valentine was commanding a double team from opposing offensive lines.

He's one of the few guys that at ~320 pounds fits the 'massive' requirement of a 3-4 nose tackle. Truth be told, I didn't watch his individual play that closely this year so I can't speak one way or the other. But, for argument's sake, if he did command a lot of double teams, I'd have to wonder who else on our roster could step up to fill the nose tackle position in a 3-4. Perhaps somebody that pays way more attention to individual play and the athletes on our roster can attest to this. I know from my brief, cursory glance of the roster and what I remember seeing a little bit of last year, I'm not sure we have the line to run a 3-4.

People are still calling for a switch to a 3-4, eh? I seem to remember a lot of that experimentation last year being mostly disastrous. I thought we played our best defense when we lined up in our base 4-3 defense and didn't get "too cute", as we would say if we were talking about offensive play-calling.

VV was double-teamed most every play. When he wasn't, he almost always pushed the OLineman back 5+ yards.

People are still calling for a switch to a 3-4, eh? I seem to remember a lot of that experimentation last year being mostly disastrous. I thought we played our best defense when we lined up in our base 4-3 defense and didn't get "too cute", as we would say if we were talking about offensive play-calling.

i was thinking the same thing. Just play ball for kriest's sake.