Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane

Maybe the plane disappearing is the "terror" part. Sure, terrorists can get on a plane and blow it up. But.....what is the next best trick? Make it disappear with out a trace. Show people they are more advanced then shoe or underwear bombers.

Maybe they flew the plane to the middle of the Indian ocean where it is the deepest, set it down soft enough so that it didn't break apart into a bunch of pieces that can be found and let it sink. Nobody knows where it is because it's 5 miles deep. A month from now they will come out and say....Gotcha!!!!!

All I know is something will ultimately be revealed about this. People like this don't just do this to stay anonymous.

anywhere in the world?

The Russian Air Force can't hit anywhere in the world without being detected. I don't think a subsonic passenger airliner stands a chance. The US probably could, but that's because we have B-2s.

If this is Terrorist. They did manage to hijack the plane. Fly it under radar so it can't be tracked. Land it safely and hide it where it can't be found. Then yes I feel they could be capable of stricking anywhere. Obviously some locations would be easier then some. But If they were able to do that. Then why couldn't they fly it to Hawaii or the West coast and hit there?

anywhere in the world?

The Russian Air Force can't hit anywhere in the world without being detected. I don't think a subsonic passenger airliner stands a chance. The US probably could, but that's because we have B-2s.

Agree that it would likely be a regional target. I can't remember the details now but the pilot was in with some group that is unhappy about something in their country so if it's the pilot in with some terrorists, most likely it's going right back where it came from.

Maybe the plane disappearing is the "terror" part. Sure, terrorists can get on a plane and blow it up. But.....what is the next best trick? Make it disappear with out a trace. Show people they are more advanced then shoe or underwear bombers.

Maybe they flew the plane to the middle of the Indian ocean where it is the deepest, set it down soft enough so that it didn't break apart into a bunch of pieces that can be found and let it sink. Nobody knows where it is because it's 5 miles deep. A month from now they will come out and say....Gotcha!!!!!

All I know is something will ultimately be revealed about this. People like this don't just do this to stay anonymous.

I don't think that fits the profile of any terrorist organization over the last 100 years. Either it's a big enough show that everyone knows it immediately or they claim responsibility right away. They're trying to either get their point across or the act itself it pointed enough so people know what they're upset about. No one seems to have any idea on the "why" in this case so they're not gaining anything.

To me, that basically leaves the pilot going bat-s#!^ crazy or the other shoe has yet to drop.

If terrorists wanted a plane for a weapon why wouldn't they just get an old, used one. Perhaps steal one from a package carrier. Something like that wouldn't even make a blip in the news. But the Malaysia airliner is under the scrutiny of half a dozen gov'ts and the entire news reading world.

If this was terrorists, whatever the plan was has already happened. Those people are gone. Most likely the plane is too. IMO.

Perhaps they want everyone looking for this plane. What advantage is that? I don't know, but it could create opportunity elsewhere.

I don't think that fits the profile of any terrorist organization over the last 100 years. Either it's a big enough show that everyone knows it immediately or they claim responsibility right away. They're trying to either get their point across or the act itself it pointed enough so people know what they're upset about. No one seems to have any idea on the "why" in this case so they're not gaining anything.

To me, that basically leaves the pilot going bat-s#!^ crazy or the other shoe has yet to drop.

true it doesn't seem to fit what we see as a typical terroist act. But the longer it goes with no answers. The more people are going to start to panic and fear the worse. Goes long enough or other planes taken in a similar manner. Then it can cause chaos dealing with the unknown in somepeople. While others would keep calm feeling well they will never crash it here. This could be a slim possiblity of what the terrorist could be trying to achieve. More than likely if it's a group, then it's a small organize group seeking revenge.

You don't think that if a week from now a group sends out a message over the internet with proof they did this with a message of...."stop f'ing with us or we will do this again"...would send a HUGE message? It doesn't matter if we know the message they are trying to send now. It matters if they can get it across in the end.

A terrorist group that doesn't have their own planes retrofitting a Boeing 777 commercial airliner with a combat system definitely sounds far-fetched.

If they actually had big plans in store, they would've done something a bit more...(bad pun) under the radar to begin with. Save it for the big reveal, you know?

The thing I like least about this whole thing is the Hannibal Barca-like scepter the vague appellation of terrorism has grown to be. Bad people do bad things all the time, but their imagined power probably far exceeds their actual ability. I suppose that speaks to the effectiveness of their methods. This could end up being a pilot having a mental breakdown, but we're gripped by fear of the worst.

Your opinion obviously, but anythings possible at this point. Their big reveal could still be coming and this just shows people you aren't as safe as you think you are.

Anything's possible at any point. A crazed gunman could shoot up a mall or restaurant you visit. A group of terrorists could hijack one of the thousands of commercial liners that fly every day in the US and pilot it into another skyscraper. The London subway bombing, the Boston marathon bombing, all of these events could easily be duplicated...but we don't change the way we go about our daily lives, and we don't give in to fear and hysteria, right? That's all I'm saying.

You don't think that if a week from now a group sends out a message over the internet with proof they did this with a message of...."stop f'ing with us or we will do this again"...would send a HUGE message? It doesn't matter if we know the message they are trying to send now. It matters if they can get it across in the end.

It could. But with each passing day it becomes less likely. It's been 11 days if my math is correct. Why would they be waiting for anything? Why not send the message already?

Edit: Realizing that explaining the reasoning of a terrorist is a fools errand, a better way to put it would be what are they gaining by waiting?

Australians think the may have found debris related to the missing plane in the south Indian Ocean. Australian and US assets investigating.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/19/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

On the terrorism discussion, anything is possible but it's usually the simplest and least exciting option that's the reality ie decompression/fire. I really wonder why the terrorism side has been so played up by the media but a possible fire has been brushed aside. I haven't even heard anymore about the oil rig worker's sighting. Has nobody looked at the cargo manifest yet? The passengers on board easily carry enough batteries to pose a threat as well.

anywhere in the world?

You know B-52 had the highest mission capable rate of the three types of heavy bombers operated by the USAF?

B-1 averaged a 53.7% ready rate

B-2 averaged a 30.3% ready rate :facepalm:

B-52 averaged a 80.5% ready rate

The B-52's $72,000 cost per hour of flight is more than the $63,000 for the B-1B but almost half of the $135,000 of the B-2. Enuff said ..... The lemon B2 costs $1B+ per one plane. Some SAM's are infrared tracker (engines temperature; not skin reflection).......bottom line, stealths are worthless. Granted, third countries got the old SAM radars but Russia, China, etc. got many SAM infrared radars.

Australian's think the may have found debris related to the missing plane in the south Indian Ocean. Australian and US assets investigating.

http://www.cnn.com/2...airlines-plane/

On the terrorism discussion, anything is possible but it's usually the simplest and least exciting option that's the reality ie decompression/fire. I really wonder why the terrorism side has been so played up by the media but a possible fire has been brushed aside. I haven't even heard anymore about the oil rig worker's sighting. Has nobody looked at the cargo manifest yet? The passengers on board easily carry enough batteries to pose a threat as well.

probably another false leads

anywhere in the world?

You know B-52 had the highest mission capable rate of the three types of heavy bombers operated by the USAF?

B-1 averaged a 53.7% ready rate

B-2 averaged a 30.3% ready rate :facepalm:

B-52 averaged a 80.5% ready rate

The B-52's $72,000 cost per hour of flight is more than the $63,000 for the B-1B but almost half of the $135,000 of the B-2. Enuff said ..... The lemon B2 costs $1B+ per one plane. Some SAM's are infrared tracker (engines temperature; not skin reflection).......bottom line, stealths are worthless. Granted, third countries got the old SAM radars but Russia, China, etc. got many SAM infrared radars.

U.S. defense spending isn't about warfighting capability as much as it's about lining the pockets of defense contractors, politicians, and military higher ups. That's why staff in the Pentagon makes four times as much as the soldiers getting killed in the desert. And why we spend tens of billions on boondoggle whizbang aircraft, but don't have enough in the budget to provide kevlar body armor for soldiers in combat. The tip of the spear goes unsharpened. All we get for our tax dollars is the shaft.

/end of rant