Sound System/ Inernet Update in Stadium

Need to resurrect acrobatics and tumbling cheerleaders plus male megaphones on one-of-a-kind traditional CFB atmosphere. Many schools got it (following pictures) but unfortunately Huskers did not. Why? Huskers pom-pom cheerleaders didn't cut it for me.

Tumbling is not allowed at the academic level anywhere in Nebraska. Can't do it in high school or college. It's the result of a Nebraska cheerleader getting seriously injured during an acrobatic move.

Further info ...... one lawsuit against UNL in 1996. The university paid Tracy Jensen a $2.1 million settlement. I'm truly sorry for her but actually every day risks in dangerous world. BTW, Duke is the only other Division I school to impose similar NU restrictions. UPDATE: a few schools had joined by NU and Duke restrictions.

Anyway, just sign waiver form, you know protect lawsuit. Guaranteed dozens of co-ed gladly volunteered with lawsuit waivers for acrobatic cheerleader tryouts. Plus women gymnastics was more dangerous than acrobatic cheerleader stunts. Myself, acrobatic moves was a part of unique CFB atmosphere (and marching band too). However I really don't like female skimpy dress dancers (NFL).

Or else abolish ALL lawyers (Doc Brown). ;)

:sarcasm on \

Someday a person tripped and tumbling down in Memorial stadium long and steep cement stairs due to a walking distraction (cellphone user). No doubt ambulance-chasing lawyers like flies in doggie poop. Thus as a result settlement, Memorial will force to ban and/or confiscate cellphone devices. Already banned smokers in open air stadium.

:sarcasm off \

cell_phone_related__injuries-sm.jpg

In NYC metro hospitals, emergency room visits due to pedestrians injured while walking/texting with cell phones have soared in recent years.

I appreciate the agricultural side of our state. That said, that helmet needs to die. It's hideous. We may be the Cornhuskers, but, the key word to focus in on there is HUSKERS, not CORN. I don't want our players walking around looking like a giant effing corn cob.

"Huskers" is a pretty meaningless word without the corn. What the heck else would we be husking?

Husking is directly associated with corn. It's not meaningless.

Regardless, the point is that the helmet is atrocious.

Can you husk a tamale? Because they are wrapped in corn husk.

The helmet is atrocious.

LINK: See Memorial Stadium rules:

Photography - Video cameras are prohibited. Game action may not be filmed.

Prohibited Items - Alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, backpacks, large bags, coolers, chairbacks, noise makers, glass bottles, cans, video cameras, banners/flags on poles and open umbrellas

================================================================================

hmmmm .......... Smartphones had built-in video cameras ?

I appreciate the agricultural side of our state. That said, that helmet needs to die. It's hideous. We may be the Cornhuskers, but, the key word to focus in on there is HUSKERS, not CORN. I don't want our players walking around looking like a giant effing corn cob.

"Huskers" is a pretty meaningless word without the corn. What the heck else would we be husking?

Husking is directly associated with corn. It's not meaningless.

Regardless, the point is that the helmet is atrocious.

Can you husk a tamale? Because they are wrapped in corn husk.

The helmet is atrocious.

But tamales are delicious!

• 2 weeks later...

From OC Tim Beck's twitter feed:

Tim Beck ‏@NU_speed_kills 22m

LOOK OUT ... Working on Memorial Stadium - making the sound system even LOUDER.

14Drb7v.jpg

The problem wasn't ever really the loudness. The problem is it's only originating from one spot IMO. I would think they could put speakers up around other parts of the stadium, turn the sound down, and it would still be loud and also everyone could hear it about equally well. It's plenty loud in the North, but much is lost by the time it gets to the south.

Is it not possible to put speaker somewhere on each side of the stadium? Or can't it work? I'm no audio expert so I don't know but that seems to be the obvious way to do it. Anyone that has that expertise know?

2 large speakers would cause bigger problems with audibility. Especially if they were at the opposite end zones. At that distance, the speed of sound becomes a problem since you would be hearing from one speaker almost instantaneously, and hearing the sound from the next speker about 1-2 seconds later. You'd constantly be hearing everything twice unless you were perfectly in the middle. You wouldn't be able to understand what was said.

Another solution would be to have hundreds of speakers all over the stadium. You see this at a lot of ball parks and baseball stadiums.

td1-copy.jpg

That image is probably freakin' huge, but you can see the many white speakers under the cantilevered upper deck. That's one solution, but not a sensible solution for a stadium as old as Memorial Stadium. That type of application is easy for new stadiums, but for stadiums 90 years old?

Something tells me that they'll be able to focus the sound a lot better than they had with a system that is 20 years old for a stadium that is substantially different than the stadium when originally installed and designed for.

From OC Tim Beck's twitter feed:

Tim Beck ‏@NU_speed_kills 22m

LOOK OUT ... Working on Memorial Stadium - making the sound system even LOUDER.

14Drb7v.jpg

The problem wasn't ever really the loudness. The problem is it's only originating from one spot IMO. I would think they could put speakers up around other parts of the stadium, turn the sound down, and it would still be loud and also everyone could hear it about equally well. It's plenty loud in the North, but much is lost by the time it gets to the south.

Is it not possible to put speaker somewhere on each side of the stadium? Or can't it work? I'm no audio expert so I don't know but that seems to be the obvious way to do it. Anyone that has that expertise know?

It's replacing the old speaker cluster system. The new speaker system will use line array and beam focusing technology. Basically, the speakers will be mounted to create a near-line source of sound.

Bosch_36W_column_loudspeaker_polar_patte

The speakers will constructivally interfere with each other to amplify the directon of the sound opposed to having huge large speakers turned up very very loud.

• Fire 5

2 large speakers would cause bigger problems with audibility. Especially if they were at the opposite end zones. At that distance, the speed of sound becomes a problem since you would be hearing from one speaker almost instantaneously, and hearing the sound from the next speker about 1-2 seconds later. You'd constantly be hearing everything twice unless you were perfectly in the middle. You wouldn't be able to understand what was said ..........................

Okay, I'm confused. Only 2 speakers? If so, $819,000 contract is a bargain :rolleyes: .

sarcasm /on

Probably this contract awarded by Northrop Grumman, military division who produced a $1.5B sticker price for each B-2 plane (basically lemon). Another ripped off.

sarcasm /off