Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

I do think they should get some sort of additional cash stipend though.

They already do.

How much do they get? It is interesting what the NCAA does and doesn't cover. I find it odd that simple things like buying a pizza is sometimes out of reach.

It's in the neighborhood of $1100 a month. I believe it's for off campus folks for rent, cost of living, etc.

They already do.

How much do they get? It is interesting what the NCAA does and doesn't cover. I find it odd that simple things like buying a pizza is sometimes out of reach.

It depends. If their family isn't super well off they will qualify for a Pell Grant which is $5,500 for the year, and there are also clothing stipends, special assistance funds, etc.

And if they live off campus, they pocket the cost difference between room & board compared to whatever they pay in rent, which is not nearly as much.

• Fire 1

They already do.

It depends. If their family isn't super well off they will qualify for a Pell Grant which is $5,500 for the year, and there are also clothing stipends, special assistance funds, etc.

And if they live off campus, they pocket the cost difference between room & board compared to whatever they pay in rent, which is not nearly as much.

Well if it is the difference between Room AND Board and the off campus rent, that doesn't leave anything for food, cable, etc. The NCAA should look at that. EDIT: I know that they get food at the training facilities, but they should be able to stock their fridge as well.

Well if it is the difference between Room AND Board and the off campus rent, that doesn't leave anything for food, cable, etc. The NCAA should look at that. EDIT: I know that they get food at the training facilities, but they should be able to stock their fridge as well.

Man, they are pocketing several hundred dollars per month with that cost difference. That's enough for 3 meals a day, cheap cable and more than plenty left over.

Man, they are pocketing several hundred dollars per month with that cost difference. That's enough for 3 meals a day, cheap cable and more than plenty left over.

And if they room with a few other players, they can split the cost of utilities, meaning they could only pay about $100-200 apiece.

And if they room with a few other players, they can split the cost of utilities, meaning they could only pay about $100-200 apiece.

Explain to me how they are doing that exactly? You just said that they are only getting the difference of room and board from their current rent, then how do they have any money left over? Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, but I don't see what they would have left as they still have to pay their rent.

Explain to me how they are doing that exactly? You just said that they are only getting the difference of room and board from their current rent, then how do they have any money left over? Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, but I don't see what they would have left as they still have to pay their rent.

Players who live off campus get a check cut for the entirety of their room & board cost for the semester, which at UNL is $9,352 for two semester (9 months), or $1,039 per month.

Say you rent a 4 bedroom place for $1200, or $300 per player per month (what I pay now just as a point of comparison), then you divide the utilities, internet and cable up and each pay about $100 per month on that too.

Your full-ride check gets you $,1039 per month, and you spend $400 per month. You have a difference of $639 every month to spend on groceries and whatever the hell else you want.

Players who live off campus get a check cut for the entirety of their room & board cost for the semester, which at UNL is $9,352 for two semester (9 months), or $1,039 per month.

Say you rent a 4 bedroom place for $1200, or $300 per player per month (what I pay now just as a point of comparison), then you divide the utilities, internet and cable up and each pay about $100 per month on that too.

Your full-ride check gets you $,1039 per month, and you spend $400 per month. You have a difference of $639 every month to spend on groceries and whatever the hell else you want.

Thank you, got it now. I was thinking that the university looked at actual costs.

Did someone seriously suggest we give student-athletes a 40 hours per week salary on top of their full scholarship and meals and benefits :facepalm:

I suggested it but its was all hypothetical. In my opinion i believe it should say exactly how it is. CFB is my favorite sport by a mile and i don"t want to see any change. But the way things are appearing i see ALOT of change coming in next 10 years. All i was saying is since the student athletes cannot work during season that maybe just during the season they get a pay check for 32-40 hours a week at minimum wage of that state. I think thats a far more buyable solution then it coming down to which university can pay the players the most for their Letter of Intent.

Once again its just an idea that i was curious of peoples thoughts, not what i think should happen IMO

Did someone seriously suggest we give student-athletes a 40 hours per week salary on top of their full scholarship and meals and benefits :facepalm:

I suggested it but its was all hypothetical. In my opinion i believe it should say exactly how it is. CFB is my favorite sport by a mile and i don"t want to see any change. But the way things are appearing i see ALOT of change coming in next 10 years. All i was saying is since the student athletes cannot work during season that maybe just during the season they get a pay check for 32-40 hours a week at minimum wage of that state. I think thats a far more buyable solution then it coming down to which university can pay the players the most for their Letter of Intent.

Once again its just an idea that i was curious of peoples thoughts, not what i think should happen IMO

In the end it's not going to come down to whichever state can pay the most. Although if that was what it came down to it wouldn't be too much different than it already is--lookin' at you, SEC.

In the end it's not going to come down to whichever state can pay the most. Although if that was what it came down to it wouldn't be too much different than it already is--lookin' at you, SEC.

Not saying it should happen, but NU would be more than ok too....

Not saying it should happen, but NU would be more than ok too....

http://www.forbes.co...otballs-top-25/

The table below reflects the AP’s preseason Top 25 college football poll, and I’ve provided some data that relates to college costs and salary data. College cost data comes from Forbes’ recent ranking of the top colleges in America, and salary projection data comes from Payscale’s 2011-12 College Salary Report. The table reports estimated 4-year costs of tuition, room and board, books, and university fees for in-state and out-of-state students, as well as Payroll’s estimate of the median mid-career salary for graduates of each school and a “degree value” column which will be explained below.

Rank School In-State Costs Out-State Costs MidCarSal DegValue

10 Nebraska $77,048 $123,848 $69,900 $1,550,000

This was a Forbes article from 2011, basically the median career salary for a Nebraska football graduate is $69,900, and the lifetime value of a degree is $1,550,000 according to the article.