Spring Game (Over)Reaction Thread

The World-Herald said today, "Fyfe, a walk-on from Grand Island, also directed a TD drive against a very tired first team defense."

We're talking about the second series of the practice, yes?

The one where Valentine, Gregory, McMullen, Collins/Curry, Mitchell, Gerry, ect were all on the bench, right?

Or are we talking about another series?

I am not saying he is God's gift to QB play at all, just giving him his due as this will probably be the highlight of his Nebraska career.

I wouldn't say that just yet. The way it stands now, all it would take is a simple injury to Armstrong in the fall-- not a preposterous idea by any means considering his option workload-- to thrust Fyfe into the starting lineup, sink or swim.

put-that-evil-on-me.gif

No fumbles, good solid tackling. Great to see. Impressed with the desire to hit out there. If we hit the other guys the same way we seemed to want to lay into each other, we will knock some helmets off.

Stanton very good. QB controversy? Possible. They'll push each other for sure. Imani Cross, the real deal, but we already knew that. He's better than he gets credit for, I will say that. Newby can make a move and run around everyone out there. Man that guy is a smooth flowing runner.

Jack Gangwish? Haven't heard of him much, til now. That guy was everywhere. The Newby experiment at DE would be awesome to see. It was neat looking today. Banderas and Zaire Anderson really athletic and talented. Banderas can run with the ball too and doesn't. Like to be tackled lol. Good hitting.

Hard to judge much but for the hard hitting going on, like I said, no fumbles is a damn good thing to see.

Gangwish has a ridiculous motor. Hopefully we see him on the field this year.

Bad

Armstrong did not look great, IMO. All the talk about better decision making went out the window with that horrible pick to Gerry. WTF was that? He looked so-so after that. Not saying Fyfe or Stanton deserve the #1 spot, but I was hoping for more from TA.

Also, WTF was up with Bondi? Only thing I can think is that the line wasn't blocking with any real gusto, but my God. Two missed PATs?

Good

I really liked the coverage by the DBs. Our new secondary coach is really making an impact. Cockerell looks like the real deal.

I have always been a Cross fan. He looked good yesterday.

Zaire Anderson looked great.

No fumbles, good solid tackling. Great to see. Impressed with the desire to hit out there. If we hit the other guys the same way we seemed to want to lay into each other, we will knock some helmets off.

Stanton very good. QB controversy? Possible. They'll push each other for sure. Imani Cross, the real deal, but we already knew that. He's better than he gets credit for, I will say that. Newby can make a move and run around everyone out there. Man that guy is a smooth flowing runner.

Jack Gangwish? Haven't heard of him much, til now. That guy was everywhere. The Newby experiment at DE would be awesome to see. It was neat looking today. Banderas and Zaire Anderson really athletic and talented. Banderas can run with the ball too and doesn't. Like to be tackled lol. Good hitting.

Hard to judge much but for the hard hitting going on, like I said, no fumbles is a damn good thing to see.

Gangwish has a ridiculous motor. Hopefully we see him on the field this year.

Bo said he has put himself in the conversation for PT. I also liked what he did Saturday.

I am back to being worried at DE. We will miss Moss big time. Neither Keels or McMullen is near the player he was a DE.

Yeah I kind of agree with this...Moss turned out to be a bit of a freak athletically.

Play that made me realize it was Cross' first TD. McMullen just couldn't get out to him, something Moss would have...

I am back to being worried at DE. We will miss Moss big time. Neither Keels or McMullen is near the player he was a DE.

I didn't mean it as in McMullen and Keels aren't good. McMullen is still a good player, just not the athlete Moss was...yet. Just watched a GREAT play by Keels where he posted and maintained outside position then spun in and popped Newby.

My thoughts:

- None of the QB's are the at the point we will need them to be at during the year, but its the spring so let's see where they are at after fall camp. I was much more impressed with TA's passing watching it the second time.

- I haven't been sold on Cross being an any down back, but he looked much more comfortable yesterday. Back up to 230 and I think that is where he is comfortable. Still blasted our Oline in the back a couple times, but he showed tons of vision.....very impressed and will eat crow if it carries into the season gladly.

- Still a lack of consistent TE.

- Non-defensive starters that stood out....Newby (he's going to work in the hybrid role...), Gangwish (good motor and agressive, hope he gets the chance to prove himself), Cockrell (great playing by him, you "he's a 2* with no good offers still think he doesn't deserve to be here?).

- Defensive starters that stood out....Gerry (made some mistakes, missed tackle on Cross' second TD and got ran over by Cross, but he made his mistakes fast and with agression), Bando (looks very good in his new weight, and can still run), Zaire just looked solid.

- Non-offensive starters that stood out...Fyfe (I am not buying into the hype as much as lots, but he can throw the ball against the 2nd team), Newby/Cross (two totally different backs, but they will both be ready behind Ameer...), Reilly/Gladney/Turner (that is a very solid backup WR group, and Alonzo Moore will be added...maybe Monte Harrison too.)

- Offensive starters that stood out...Oline (for all the praise the D-line had been getting I expected them to bust through a few more times, but they held em in check for the most part), WR's (just like the backups they were solid all around).

And Drew Brown will be our kicker for 4 years starting this fall.

• Fire 1

I'm not particularly worried if we keep Gregory and McMullen healthy. They will get probably 90% of the reps. It would be nice to have a very good guy to rotate in a little more so they could be down around 80% but I think they'll be fine there and we can find any of several guys - Keels, Natter, King, Wills, Collins, Gangwish - to fill in spot duty when they need a break. My wildcard is still Stoltenberg. Sounds like he is going to start on defense now and, if he's healthy by the start of fall camp - which he should be - he might get some looks as well.

I would also like to mention #87 Brandon Reilly? Nice catches, and the spin move clearly works for that kid....kind of like the old PS1 NFL Gameday games.

Also, how the hell can Josh Mitchell not run down Imani Cross before he got to the end zone? Mitchell is 140 lbs. corner and Imani is 230 lbs. RB.......come on man. Still, Imani is kinda fast for being that big.