BIG TEN RIVALS ( A work in progress... )

The idea that in terms of football strength that Wisc > NW > Iowa is just because it was that way when you joined the conference. But historically those three are about the same. If anything NW could lose Fitzgerald and have a long inglorious period.

Plus you had already played the other Iowa right? They were usually a win but sometimes a lurking upset threat. That's basically what Illinois is.

When you have to decide who your rival is, you don't have one. We will know when we do, until then it seems fake, made up like Colorado and Mizzou with us. We never respected what they called a rival. I really do not want to lumped in that group. We play several good teams. Lets see how it shakes out.

• Fire 2

I gotta emphasize this since I see and hear so many Nebraska fans talking about a rivalry with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin fans do not care about us or having a rivalry. And I don't blame them, they've taken us to the woodshed 2 out of 3 times, and almost made it a third. Us declaring them a rival or clamoring for a rivalry with them reeks too much of Colorado declaring us rivals back in the day. A buddy of mine who is from Madison and a raging badgers fan has a major superiority complex when we talk football. He was pretty surprised that alot of us think UW-NU is or could be a rivalry. He basically said we're not on their radar since we haven't caused them much problem, and said most wisconsin fans feel this way. Minnesota and MSU, as of late, draws more juice for them than we do.

Dude, we've played a measly 3 games. When Wisconsin leads the series over us umpteen-12 and we're still declaring them a rival, then I'll say it reeks of Colorado. We beat them this year and the series is tied. And as far as us not being on their radar? Not taking us seriously? Well my friend, that's when days like black friday, 2001 happen.

I believe NU Wiscy is currently tied 4-4-1 if Im not mistaken.

Nobody is clamoring for a rival. The point of the thread was to see where we were three years in. Obviously its going to take a long time to develop a concrete rival. But three years in, NW is the game that looks to be the most compelling. That is all.

Nobody is clamoring for a rival. The point of the thread was to see where we were three years in. Obviously its going to take a long time to develop a concrete rival. But three years in, NW is the game that looks to be the most compelling. That is all.

Exactly. It's fun to talk about when we have nothing to talk about.

Doesn't that mean we have something to talk about then?

Doesn't that mean we have something to talk about then?
Yes, we are talking about the very thing filling in for the lack of things to talk about. Thus, we have something to talk about, although, nothing else is available to talk about.
  • Fire 1

I think Wisconsin has established they are here to stay. The question now is will we live up to being their rival. I really do not think they are too concerned about Nebraska currently. They have been better than us for close to ten years I think.

On the national scene the truly great college football rivals occur when the outcome was significant in terms of ratings, conf titles and bowl selections. It seems like we are a long way from having a significant BIG rival. One think I'm convinced of .... such a rivalry has to develop naturally and not be forced by a few in the media who are trying to hype a TV rating.

On the national scene the truly great college football rivals occur when the outcome was significant in terms of ratings, conf titles and bowl selections. It seems like we are a long way from having a significant BIG rival. One think I'm convinced of .... such a rivalry has to develop naturally and not be forced by a few in the media who are trying to hype a TV rating.

Ironically the tv networks lost a lot when so many good rivalries were destroyed by realignment.

I think Wisconsin has established they are here to stay. The question now is will we live up to being their rival. I really do not think they are too concerned about Nebraska currently. They have been better than us for close to ten years I think

I think they are as good as they will ever be, I dont think we are as good as we will be in the near future. Nebraska has way more going for its program then Wisconsin. We have way more tradition, way better facilities and I think we have an athletic department that is willing to do more to win than what theirs might be willing to do, thats just my opinion though.

However if you look at the last ten years they really havent been much better than us. They have 87 total wins and 2 BIG championships. We have 85 total wins with 4 CCG appearances. Now with that said I would much rather have the 2 conference championship, than the 4 appearances, those results also factor in the darkest period of Husker football since before the Bob father.

So I do think that Wisconsin will be our primary rival in the BIG, but I honestly feel when we look back in 50 years ( I hope I'm still alive!) that the results will be fairly heavily in our favor, 65% winning percentage. But like Notre Dame Joe said, with the crazy realignment now a days I'm not sure if we will ever have a true rival ever again. It takes time and with the constant change of college football, I dont think we will have alot of it