Do you believe in God? A deity, or higher power?

we as humans can't think beyond the realm in which we live!

Sure we can. If we can figure out quantum mechanics, some mystical being that let his ape son get nailed to a couple sticks can't be that far beyond our grasp.

I realize this is sort of your MO and I've come to expect and accept these types of inflammatory posts but, is it really necessary? Is there some purpose to intentionally phrasing things to come across like a crass dick? I thought there was some new "back to the rules" thing that was supposed to lower the tolerance for posts made to elicit a negative reaction.

God chose to do all of those things, thus setting the stage for millions of generations of sin and suffering, and for literally billions upon billions of people to fall utterly away from eternal life in heaven. God created that whole scenario, and the fact is he never had to.

this always stuck me odd in regards to jesus' sacrifice. he sacrificed his life for all of humanity. who would not do that? and he got to go to heaven and sit at the right side of his father, god. that just does not really seem like a sacrifice or necessary. just my imo.

Who would not do that? Plenty/Most people would not choose to be tortured and suffer crucifixion. But the real issue is that no one other than God's son could do it to any effect. Try watching The Passion of the Christ if you think it would be a cake walk.

I realize this is sort of your MO and I've come to expect and accept these types of inflammatory posts but, is it really necessary? Is there some purpose to intentionally phrasing things to come across like a crass dick? I thought there was some new "back to the rules" thing that was supposed to lower the tolerance for posts made to elicit a negative reaction.

There's an entire thread in this subforum (just posted today) that is obviously intended as nothing but trolling (not to mention it's redundant considering the numerous threads already in existence where the comment could have gone). C'mon man, selective enforcement of the rules is the norm.

God chose to do all of those things, thus setting the stage for millions of generations of sin and suffering, and for literally billions upon billions of people to fall utterly away from eternal life in heaven. God created that whole scenario, and the fact is he never had to.

this always stuck me odd in regards to jesus' sacrifice. he sacrificed his life for all of humanity. who would not do that? and he got to go to heaven and sit at the right side of his father, god. that just does not really seem like a sacrifice or necessary. just my imo.

Who would not do that? Plenty/Most people would not choose to be tortured and suffer crucifixion. But the real issue is that no one other than God's son could do it to any effect. Try watching The Passion of the Christ if you think it would be a cake walk.

I'll admit to never watching The Passion of the Christ (although I have Peter Gabriel's soundtrack - it's awesome).

But think about that. You, JJ, have the opportunity to erase all the sin for all mankind, forever, if people simply believe you died on the cross for them.

The whole death process, start to finish, will take 24 hours.

You'll be in a nether-world for another 24-36 hours (maybe hell, not sure where Jesus went after his death).

After that, you'll reappear to your loved ones, assure them you're fine, and then about 40 days and a few more appearances later, you'll go to heaven to sit at God's right hand.

Total suckage time? Tops, 60 hours. And it'll suck. But you don't think you could do that 60 hours for all mankind?

I'm betting you could. I'm betting you'd jump at the chance - not because you'll get that "God's right-hand man" title, but because you're the kind of guy who'd sacrifice himself to save the rest of mankind. I'm reasonably certain after the minimal amount that I know about you that you'd throw yourself on a grenade, knowing you'll suffer & die two days later, just to save your family. And that's what? Less than 20 people, all told? (not sure how big your family is)

Regarding The Dude's post - please hit the Report button on any post, anywhere, that you think crosses the line. Traditionally we've allowed more... strenuous conversation here in P&R because of the nature of the topics than we'd allow in Husker Football or the BS Lounge, but every report will be looked at, I can assure you.

we as humans can't think beyond the realm in which we live!

Sure we can. If we can figure out quantum mechanics, some mystical being that let his ape son get nailed to a couple sticks can't be that far beyond our grasp.

Um, what? :blink: How would you prefer I phrase it?

Way to get personal, by the way.

I'm just not the type of guy to report anyone for what they post even if I find it offensive. I prefer to let those types of comments speak for themselves. I've never been fond of tattling.

As far as sacrificing myself for a family member or my whole family, yeah I would do that, no hesitation. To be honest, I'm not sure I would do it for all of humanity. Number one- it seems so farfetched I can't really wrap my head around it. And number two- I have a fairly high level of disdain for a large percentage of our species. There are people I would not want to die for. Yeah, so I'm a dick. Lol.

Dude- I was just trying to say that you could make your point in a less offensive manner. In case you didn't know, "ape son on two sticks" may come off as more than a little inflammatory for people who view Jesus, the son of God , as their savior. You don't strike me as being so clueless that you didn't already know that so you can drop the "way to get personal" charade.

It was just an appeal to tone down and be a little more respectful. But you can do whatever the hell you like.

• Fire 3

Sometimes my children don't get things they want, or are forced to do something they would rather not by myself or their mother. Their small world becomes chaos. They become mad, frustrated and confused. My wife and I don't do this to be mean, we do it to hopefully make them better adults (my children are 4, being an adult is an eternity away in their minds and they have no clue what it even entails). Our children respond, "I don't love you! Your MEAN!" We continue to love them even though they don't see or understand the reasons behind our actions or in some cases, inaction.

Sure. But is saying "you can't have 5 teddy bears" the same as saying "I'm going to watch you painfully die of cancer" or "Have fun starving to death"?

Comparing "kid wanting teddy bear" to "cancer" is the same as comparing "my problems" to "God's problems"....

Is your kid going to die if they don't get the teddy bear? Because if the answer is "no", then it isn't the same comparison. At all.

I wasn't the one comparing teddy bears to cancer....

I'm not comparing my childrens' "problems" to the plights of the world. I'm comparing our (mankind's) confusion and frustration in God's works to the confusion and frustrations our children feel when they don't get everything they want. Our world is in chaos, people are suffering, murder and rape happen, pediatric cancer happens. And none of us understand why.

That's my point....

I know the comparison that you are trying to make. It is just not even remotely valid.

Comparing "kid wanting teddy bear" to "cancer" is the same as comparing "my problems" to "God's problems"....

Is your kid going to die if they don't get the teddy bear? Because if the answer is "no", then it isn't the same comparison. At all.

I wasn't the one comparing teddy bears to cancer....

I'm not comparing my childrens' "problems" to the plights of the world. I'm comparing our (mankind's) confusion and frustration in God's works to the confusion and frustrations our children feel when they don't get everything they want. Our world is in chaos, people are suffering, murder and rape happen, pediatric cancer happens. And none of us understand why.

That's my point....

I know the comparison that you are trying to make. It is just not even remotely valid.

Why?

Do 4 year old children fully understand what it takes to raise a family and manage a household?.....no

Does that mean their parents don't love them and know that there will come a time when the child understands?.....not necessarily

Do "believers" fully understand why a gracious God would allow suffering in the world?....no

Does that mean that God doesn't love them (or exist at all) and know that there will be a time his children understands?....not necessarily

I don't mean for the comparison to stand as evidence to convert non-believers. I use it to reconcile some of the challenges I face in my own mind as a believer. I seek answers, I believe Science (keep in mind most Christians do also : Catholics and Lutherans certainly), but I also know that all of my questions won't be answered by the time my life is done.

I'm betting you could. I'm betting you'd jump at the chance - not because you'll get that "God's right-hand man" title, but because you're the kind of guy who'd sacrifice himself to save the rest of mankind. I'm reasonably certain after the minimal amount that I know about you that you'd throw yourself on a grenade, knowing you'll suffer & die two days later, just to save your family. And that's what? Less than 20 people, all told?

Coincidentally, Jesus had a bit to say about how anyone, even the tax collectors, will do things for their friends, but that it's a mark of righteousness to serve your enemies as well :)

Dude- I was just trying to say that you could make your point in a less offensive manner. In case you didn't know, "ape son on two sticks" may come off as more than a little inflammatory for people who view Jesus, the son of God , as their savior. You don't strike me as being so clueless that you didn't already know that so you can drop the "way to get personal" charade.

It was just an appeal to tone down and be a little more respectful. But you can do whatever the hell you like.

In a thread that points out some of the Christian God's more heinous atrocities, I wouldn't think simply pointing out that Jesus was an ape would have been considered going over the line. All humans are apes, by the way. That's kinda where I was going with that.

Kind of an interesting perspective, I think. I wonder what a super-intelligent race of aliens would think if they observed us Earth apes squabbling over our quaint mythologies.

However, my colorful commentary obviously upset you, and for that I do apologize. There's a lot of perspective from people that were once deeply religious, then became . . . not so religious. Personally, I've never been religious. I remember even as a young child thinking this stuff was just kind of silly when I went to Sunday school with my cousins. So when I say things like that, part of it is maybe I'm just a bit of a crass dick with no filter, and part of it is I have no experience of what it's like to be religious, so I don't always take everyone's feelings into consideration. I don't always remember how extremely important this stuff is to a lot of people. So again I do apologize for that.

I will try to tone it down, and I think I've done that a lot already, actually. Just don't go read some of my posts in religious threads from 3-4 years ago. Yowzers.

• Fire 2

Why can't I just be God? What the f#*k? Why does God get it so good and I don't? What did he do to deserve to be God? The ability to know and see everything, to be everywhere all at once, to live forever, to control the universe...sounds pretty fantastic. Where's the dotted line that I sign for that?

Why can't I just be God? What the f#*k? Why does God get it so good and I don't? What did he do to deserve to be God? The ability to know and see everything, to be everywhere all at once, to live forever, to control the universe...sounds pretty fantastic. Where's the dotted line that I sign for that?

Because you're not Morgan Freeman.

• Fire 3

Because you're not Morgan Freeman.

/thread

God, jesus, the easter bunny can't eliminate sin.

There are some people, that are predisposed to doing bad things. Whether it's just that way from birth or there's some significant event in their lives that pushes them down that road.

To blame it on some entity is really taking the easy way out and not accepting responsibility for your own actions.

Hypothetically, if I were to walk into an establishment with an automatic weapon, slaughter everyone, then take my own life, as long as I ask god for forgiveness, it's ok? Then everyone can start blaming the guns and not the actual guy that committed the crime.