Where would you rate yourself on Dawkins' spectrum of theistic probability?

Spectrum of Theistic Probablility  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the surge in religious discussion recently, I thought it would be kind of interesting to get a better idea of where everyone stands.

Popularized by Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion, the spectrum of theistic probability is a way of categorizing one's belief regarding the probability of the existence of a deity . . . Dawkins posits that "the existence of God is a scientific hypothesis like any other." He goes on to propose a continuous "spectrum of probabilities" between two extremes of opposite certainty, which can be represented by seven "milestones".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of_theistic_probability

#6 describes my thoughts almost perfectly. I can't claim to know the unknown, just like I don't "know" unicorns don't exist. But the likelihood is very improbable, and the more we research the origins of life, the universe & everything, the less likely I find it.

The existence of God is far from a scientific hypothesis.

The existence of a transcending catalytic agent responsible for the universe isn't, though, and from there it's just a matter of intelligent vs. natural (might not be the right word but i didn't want to use unintelligent :P)

I also don't know how, or rather am very concerned and confused by, someone can answer 100% probability.

#6. I won't get into it too deeply here because I get emotional and somewhat upset when I discuss this, but when you've seen the things I've seen you question everything. I had a long rant here, but I've deleted it because all my questions are ones that can't be answered by any individual on this earth. I will always ask why, and I doubt I will ever get an answer. Even still, if I was given an answer, there is no justification, nothing could be said that would make me understand it. There's no reasoning. The things I've seen and heard, and read, those things don't happen to good people, and especially don't happen to innocent children. They don't. I don't like to get into this too much because I don't want anybody hear to try to tell me how to think or believe. I don't want to be judged, and I don't want to be "convinced" of how or why these things happen. I simply justify the way I believe because life is a lesson, and I have learned many things. Nobody will change what life has taught me with simple words. The evidence I have contrary to God, far outweighs the evidence supporting.

• Fire 1

#6. There are some astounding unanswered questions that remain about the universe, but if you want to define God in the desert-people monotheism sense, that number pretty much nails it. Put it this way. If there is a God or gods--or the universe itself is somehow alive--that god will be exceedingly beyond anything our mote-like little species' stories about it ever dreamed.

• Fire 3

One thing I find amazing about this poll is the number of well respected HB posters who are #6 atheists. These are people who I get along with on this board and generally agree with on a number of topics. In real life I don't think I know even one single atheist. Or at least none that I can think of. Could it be that some people really are atheists, but just keep it to themselves?

One thing I find amazing about this poll is the number of well respected HB posters who are #6 atheists. These are people who I get along with on this board and generally agree with on a number of topics. In real life I don't think I know even one single atheist. Or at least none that I can think of. Could it be that some people really are atheists, but just keep it to themselves?

Most likely. Especially in more conservative parts of the country, like Nebraska, people cling strongly to their faith, and there is no real reason for atheists are agnostics to go out and rattle peoples' cages. IN most general conversation, and especially in the workplace, people do not talk about religion very much and it is certainly bad form to get into religious debates.

In the child welfare industry, a lot of the service providers we work with (foster care agencies, family support services, etc) are Christian-based and do amazing work. I hear a lot of "God bless" and "I'm praying for you" and such, which I internally dismiss. But even though I lean atheistic, I still have a lot of appreciation and respect for the faith that my friends and colleagues share, and it would be a very bad idea to debate it or to reveal my own religious opinions. So yeah, I keep it to myself, and I bet most others do for similar reasons.

• Fire 1

I guess that would be a little bit true, but more than anything I think that the internet/messageboard culture attracts that demographic more.

• Fire 1