What kind of customer are you?

What a nice bunch of folks we have here on Huskerboard. Unless we're talking about football, then it's rabble rabble time.

i was thinking about this and the only time i was really upset at a restaurant was because we were seated and then never waited on. every table around us was seated and served drinks and even food and our drink order had not even been taken. we were seriously seated and then completely ignored while everyone around us was taken care of. so we just got up and left. the owner saw us because you go up to him to pay and it was awkward because we just wanted to leave, but he was suspicious on why we were leaving and not paying. we just told him no one was helping us and he quickly said he would get that taken care of, but at that point we just wanted to leave. i felt guilty about it, even though we did nothing wrong, but i just hate causing a scene that much. and it would have been weird to stay at that point. that was a bummer because that is one of our favorite restaurants.

the only other example is when a friend complained because his chicken was raw. and he just pointed it out. the waitress was rude because he ate just about everything else before he noticed the chicken was raw and she said she could not take it back because he at most of the plate. but, it was not his job to inspect the food before he ate it.

those are probably the only two times where me or someone withe me had to say something. i guess there was a time i ordered a budweiser and the bartender broke the glass in the bottle opener. so i mentioned that because i didn't want to die, but then she replaced it with a bud light. i was bummed, but didn't say anything. i still regret having to drink the bud light when i wanted an ice cold, bold budweiser.

What a nice bunch of folks we have here on Huskerboard. Unless we're talking about football, then it's rabble rabble time.

i was thinking about this and the only time i was really upset at a restaurant was because we were seated and then never waited on. every table around was was seated and served drinks and even food and our drink order had not even been taken. so we just got up and left. the owner saw us because you go up to him to pay and it was awkward because we just wanted to leave, but he was suspicious on why we were leaving and not paying. we just told him no one was helping us and he quickly said he would get that taken care of, but at the point we just wanted to leave. i felt guilty about it, even though we did nothing wrong, but i just hate causing a scene that much. and it would have been weird to stay at that point.

the only other example is when a friend complained because his chicken was raw. and he just pointed it out. the waitress was rude because he ate just about everything else before he noticed the chicken was raw and she said she could not take it back because he at most of the plate. but, it was not his job to inspect the food before he ate it.

those are probably the only two times where me or someone withe me had to say something. i guess there was a time i ordered a budweiser and the bartender broke the glass in the bottle opener. so i mentioned that because i didn't want to die, but then she replaced it with a bud light. i was bummed, but didn't say anything. i still regret having to drink the bud light when i wanted an ice cold, bold budweiser.

I downed almost an entire bowl of queso at Ruby Tuesdays in Topeka before I noticed a big gross black hair in it. They gave me a coupon for a free dessert for it and apologized like 10 times. I just told them it was really tasty until I found that lurking in the bottom.

Pretty gross but sh#t happens. At least it wasn't curly. Then I would have vomited.

Don't forget it's entirely possible to provide feedback, or even complaints, without being a total dick about it. For instance, if I order a steak at medium rare, but get rare, I will usually ask the server to let the kitchen know once I'm finished. But I'll also make it clear I'm fine with eating rare and they don't need to worry about it, but that's feedback the kitchen needs to hear. Any restaurant and kitchen staff that is actually interested in serving properly executed dishes will not take any issue with that sort of feedback.

Edit - Of course, if you're providing actual feedback, you need to know your sh#t. If you don't, just keep your mouth shut, because you'll embarass yourself.

Apparently I am the greedy prick of huskerboard tipping 10-15%, but will go much higher if something exceptional is done. I usually don't have a lot to say and won't voice my opinion unless service is something on this side of hell. The thing I am most interested in is that you ask about another drink before I finish this one or bring another unsolicited.

The only time I ever did not tip a server was one time I was out to dinner with my friend that was a girl but would not let me touch her body, in college. We waited forever, I am sure it seemed longer for her because of my horrible company, for our booze that I was paying for, and then our server walked by our table and then gave us a look like "Oh Sh%t, that creepy dude is here again." On the receipt I wrote something like "I can't wait to see you again, I love you." She did not try to explain herself because no girl has ever talked to me.

Hey Colo...I fixed it for you

Apparently I am the greedy prick of huskerboard tipping 10-15%, but will go much higher if something exceptional is done. I usually don't have a lot to say and won't voice my opinion unless service is something on this side of hell. The thing I am most interested in is that you ask about another drink before I finish this one or bring another unsolicited.

I don't think you're greedy. I think the concept that you HAVE TO tip X% is BS. Tip what you think is appropriate - you're the customer. I tip the way I tip because I was trying to impress this girl I was dating 25 years ago and I got used to it. Kind of a dumb reason, but she married me, so it seems to have worked out.

Of course, I also think paying wait staff $2.00 an hour (or whatever the tip wage is) is BS, and they shouldn't have to rely on tips for their wages.

I usually try to go between 15-20%. If it is a large bill, I tend to go towards the 15%. If I'm eating lunch in a small cafe and the meal is cheap, the percentage will be more.

Example:

$7 meal at the local cafe $2 tip = 28%.

$50 meal at a fine steak house $10 = 20%.

"Basically" both waiters are doing the same thing. If the service is worth it, the waiter at the cafe deserves more than 20%. However, sometimes when I take customers out to a really nice restaurant, I about choke sometimes about how much the tip ends up being. Then, you think that waiter is working several tables and it starts adding up.

I know the waiter at the nice steak house many times is sharing that tip with maybe the bar tender or the bus boy. But, still.....Try taking maybe 20 people out to a restaurant where you are there for maybe 1-1.5 hours, your bill comes to $1,000 (or more) and so a 20% tip would be $200.

I know it's how the system works and I go ahead and pay it because I know that is how that waiter/bar tender/bus boy is making a living....but....

They actually caught this on tape:

Agree with pre-tip wages.

I make a distinction:

If the service was good or bad the tip to the wait staff goes up or down

If the food was bad, I talk to manager - if its good, the cook gets some of the tip. Its a team effort. (Plus I got tips occasionally when I was a cook in HS)

If there's an item on the tab that I didn't order I might ask about it. (Just did that yesterday. They removed the charge and apologized.) But I never send food back or complain about it. Sure they'd cook your ribeye for another couple of minutes. After they hocked a lugie on it. Instead, if the food or service is really bad I just don't go there again.

If there's an item on the tab that I didn't order I might ask about it. (Just did that yesterday. They removed the charge and apologized.) But I never send food back or complain about it. Sure they'd cook your ribeye for another couple of minutes. After they hocked a lugie on it. Instead, if the food or service is really bad I just don't go there again.

I always try to give the place a second chance - a worker could have a bad day or pissed off at owner, poor quality of food shipment, etc. But two strikes and you are out.

I tip between 15 and 20%.

What do you guys feel about tipping people when you go in to pick up the food at a sit-down restaurant? Until recently it never occurred to me to tip for this because no one is waiting on me but I've been informed by 2 restaurant worker friends that I'm in the wrong. I wasn't trying to be cheap, it was just the logic of it. I'm fine with tipping from now on but it still kinda seems weird to me. The annoying part of being a waitress would be the interacting part, and they're only having to say hello and spend maybe 1 minute talking to me.

This might not be right but when I get carryout I'll typically tip 10% to 15%. Sort of depends on the type of place, how much work they went to packaging my meals etc. I also used to forego tipping for carryout but anymore I figure a few bucks probably means a lot more to the person getting the tip than it does to me.