So what's the good news?

Hoosker

With all the recent talk about the injuries and the sellout streak, I wanted to spread some optimism.

We're just about two weeks away from kickoff against Florida Atlantic and something recently occurred to me.

This group of Seniors is a very special group, as you all can probably tell. They are the first class to play all four years in the Big Ten. It seems like only yesterday Ameer took that kickoff return to the house against Fresno State or when Kenny went the length of the field on that reverse up in Minneapolis. Many others have contributed over these last four years of course, but Ameer and Kenny will be forever remembered here at Nebraska as much for their personalities as their on-the-field production.

Ameer will most likely not catch Rozier, but if he breaks the 1,000 yard mark again this season, he will stand alone in Husker history by doing it 3 times in his career.

Kenny is on pace to break the career catches record held by Swift and could also surpass Rodgers as the all-time leading receiver.

Throw in the undeniable impact of Randy Gregory and this team is filled with playmakers who will be remembered years down the road as being some of the best to ever play here. This team still has it's deficiencies, as we all know, but when you take into account just how much leadership is being displayed in this program at the moment, you have to like our potential if we shore up some of our past mistakes.

What other good things can you say about this upcoming season?

• Fire 3

This is a very young squad with an abundance of potential up-and-coming talent, especially at the positions where we'll sustain losses (Ameer, Kenny). The immediate future of this program could be very bright. I'm hoping we do solid this year and have something to build off of. Most importantly, I'm optimistic that the distractions and eruptions are a thing of the past -- and if we do sustain tough losses, it won't be as contentious or ugly as years past.

Items I'm drinking kool aid on include:

• Defensive line: We have serious depth at DT and Gregory and Mcmullen represent the best 1&2 punch we've had on the field at DE under BO. We need to shore up the DE back ups, though.
  • Running Backs: Ameer, enough said. Plus we have a bigger back in Cross, and a burner in Newby. If the oline is even just adequate, we should be able to rely on these guys through are younger Qb(s) maturation periods
  • WR: Plenty of talent across the board to stretch the field in Bell/Moore/Turner/De'Mornay Pierson-El. Also solid possession/hands in guys like WesterKamp/Burtch/Allen. Giving the QB(s) and coaches a myriad of options.