Btn crew comment on Armstrong's accuracy

Dagerow

What's frustrating is that we don't need Joe Freaking Montana. We just need a guy to distribute the ball with short passes, and glorified laterals on the run so that our play makers can get involved.

Some of the concepts that Tim runs are freaking great, but if you can't execute the throw, it doesn't matter how wide open people are it's going to be #FAIL

I find it interesting when fans say this. I have heard many experts and QBs claim that short passes such as slant patterns are some of the hardest to throw and your accuracy has to be much greater with those than any other pass.

Yeah, we could sure use a well-directed timing spread passing attack that maximizes YAC and utilizes all sorts of screens, slants, picks, etc. Unfortunately, I think it's not that straightforward to "just get that" on top of an elite power run game that keys off the option or zone read.

And if we're not going to be a New England with Brady/Edelman/Amendola type of offense (another example would be the Air Leach), then we can't lean on short passing (but we'll use it, of course). As ColoradoHusk says here:

I actually wish Beck would incorporate more of the vertical passing game. Against UCLA this past year, they figured NU wasn't going to test them deep, they had all their defense play within 10 yards of the LOS, and they shut our offense down.

Taylor completed 60% of his passes that day. His receivers averaged 9.7 yards per reception. What good does that do when the opponent can just play single high all game? You cannot concede "bend but don't break" ability in the name of a respectable completion %, IMO. And that, at times in the past few years, seemed to be exactly what we were doing.

Then we look back at the end of the year and say, "hey, look at all these great numbers. Our offense was not the problem." But the offense has been a far cry from a cohesive, consistently dangerous unit.

What's frustrating is that we don't need Joe Freaking Montana. We just need a guy to distribute the ball with short passes, and glorified laterals on the run so that our play makers can get involved.

Some of the concepts that Tim runs are freaking great, but if you can't execute the throw, it doesn't matter how wide open people are it's going to be #FAIL

I find it interesting when fans say this. I have heard many experts and QBs claim that short passes such as slant patterns are some of the hardest to throw and your accuracy has to be much greater with those than any other pass.

Slant routes are very hard to throw with accuracy. It is hard to lead a receiver in that manner. There is very little time for them to adjust on the ball.

Yeah, we could sure use a well-directed timing spread passing attack that maximizes YAC and utilizes all sorts of screens, slants, picks, etc. Unfortunately, I think it's not that straightforward to "just get that" on top of an elite power run game that keys off the option or zone read.

And if we're not going to be a New England with Brady/Edelman/Amendola type of offense (another example would be the Air Leach), then we can't lean on short passing (but we'll use it, of course). As ColoradoHusk says here:

I actually wish Beck would incorporate more of the vertical passing game. Against UCLA this past year, they figured NU wasn't going to test them deep, they had all their defense play within 10 yards of the LOS, and they shut our offense down.

Taylor completed 60% of his passes that day. His receivers averaged 9.7 yards per reception. What good does that do when the opponent can just play single high all game? You cannot concede "bend but don't break" ability in the name of a respectable completion %, IMO. And that, at times in the past few years, seemed to be exactly what we were doing.

Then we look back at the end of the year and say, "hey, look at all these great numbers. Our offense was not the problem." But the offense has been a far cry from a cohesive, consistently dangerous unit.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

His chances of throwing a bad pass decrease significantly if he hands the ball off...

So if Beck doesn't end up working out, I vote for you as OC.

I don't know about all that... but you've got 3 RB's at your disposal, the only real question is the O line and how good are they going to be...

To not utilize the running game this year, will just show me that Beck is Watson...

I found this comment ridiculous to say. Do you agree that Tommy Armstrong is an option QB? If so, ask yourselves, how many option QBs are accurate with their throws?

I don't expect Tommy Armstrong to have a completion rate over 70% like some folks are expecting him to have in order to be successful.

Tommie was never above 50% until his senior yr. He just knew to either throw completions or away. Great pass to INT ratio. His passing "stunk", but it never hurts us.

IMO, it all comes down to Beck and the play calling. If they have truly gone back and looked at what worked the past 12-18 months on O, I really hope they also look at the passes TA can routinely complete. If those throws aren't there in practice, then don't use them in games.

People have said time and time again, lean on the run and the best tandem of backs in the B1G. Use PA and misdirection to negate the blitz. Copy (IIRC) Fresno St when they moved the pocket to negate our rush. There are numerous ways to help out your QB. Play calling and a strong running game are 2.

I don't understand the comparisons to Tommie. We run a different offense now.

Tommie was the greatest QB to play the game at that level. He was also a "horrific" passing QB yet his rating was through the roof as was his TD to INT (4-1) as well as passes without an INT (IIRC 140-1).

He was able to throw enough to keep the D honest, get TD's with the limited throws and not give the D the ball.

Not a comparison to TF, but a comparison on how he needs to be (TA) in this O. He doesn't need tp throw for 65%+. He needs to limit INT's by throwing away or in the dirt. Beck needs to call a game plan that sets up limited successful passing ala TO with TF. TO put that team in a possession to win by calling to the strengths of the team collectively. TF wasn't the solo act folks think. Look at his rushing stats. When he ran, he ran. He distributed the ball to the surrounding cast. That is my hope for TA with Beck and AA, Cross, Newby, Bell, JT, Carter, Westy, Burch, Reilly, Gregory, VV, Collins, Anderson, Coop, Gerry etc..............

TA doesn't have to be the focus of the O like Martinez was IMO, the past 4 years.

• Fire 1

Hell, I'd just take Joe Ganz again.

Really? He was a pick six machine at times... I have a feeling that we will be just fine at QB. At least we are not facing what Ohio State is.

I think I agree with this.

Joe was the best at the most inopportune picks at QB I have ever seen. He was a gamer though. Kid could play.