Football student tickets remain on sale

If the tickets are given away for free, then how do you decide who gets them? Do they just sign up for their free tickets? There are going to be 12,000 students who will want the free tickets, but only with 8,500 available.

Also, If the tickets are given away for free, the students are even LESS LIKELY to go to the game, because they didn't make an investment in the tickets. Then people would be complaining even more about pockets of empty seats.

I did the math a couple weeks ago for a different thread. The $160 season ticket cost represents about a 6% annual inflation from 20 years ago (someone posted how much they paid in 1993). Based on average inflation that's pretty high, but it's probably lower than the average inflation rate for college tuition for the past 20 years.

I don't know how this situation can surprise anyone. The University has treated the student fans poorly for a number of years now, and lots of students now have an "F-off" attitude toward the administration.

This situation really began when the University decided to move virtually the entire student section to BFE South Stadium. This is in contrast to many other large universities, where student sections are closer to the field and/or closer to midfield. Anyone, for example, remember our game at TAMU a few years ago? They brought in extra seats to put at field level so more of their students to come to the game and make it loud. Meanwhile, we moved our students farther away and minimized their impact on the game.

All the friends I have still at UNL decided for the first time this year not to get student tickets due to the inability to validate and transfer tickets to non-students. The inability to do this is essentially pissing money away for many students, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I really think, and have heard, that the new policy on ticket transfers combined with the opportunity to buy some of the worst tickets in the stadium are the primary driving forces of this situation.

• Fire 5

I don't know how this situation can surprise anyone. The University has treated the student fans poorly for a number of years now, and lots of students now have an "F-off" attitude toward the administration.

This situation really began when the University decided to move virtually the entire student section to BFE South Stadium. This is in contrast to many other large universities, where student sections are closer to the field and/or closer to midfield. Anyone, for example, remember our game at TAMU a few years ago? They brought in extra seats to put at field level so more of their students to come to the game and make it loud. Meanwhile, we moved our students farther away and minimized their impact on the game.

All the friends I have still at UNL decided for the first time this year not to get student tickets due to the inability to validate and transfer tickets to non-students. The inability to do this is essentially pissing money away for many students, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I really think, and have heard, that the new policy on ticket transfers combined with the opportunity to buy some of the worst tickets in the stadium are the primary driving forces of this situation.

This does not surprise me at all.

This entire thing started in the 90s shortly after I graduated. We had premium seats and we could sell the unused tickets easily to games we weren't going to. I'm sure there were some students who bought the season package and sold all of them, but that was a vast minority. Most of the students who had tickets were at every game. We were loud and into the game.

Now, it is almost like the administration thinks the students are an after thought and really don't matter. What they don't understand is that these are their future donors. These are the next generation of fans who instill in THEIR kids what it's like to be a Husker fan.

It's not a good thing when the student body doesn't care anymore about the teams.

This was insanely common when I went to school there. Now they have a digital system and only 250 or so non-students are allowed to attend. It's sad that the athletic department got greedy and ended the students ability to sell their tickets.

I remember having to log into the website in April to reserve student tickets for south stadium my freshmen year. Now their going into game week with some in hand, and will have to find an alternative way to sell them (no doubt they will).

Now, it is almost like the administration thinks the students are an after thought and really don't matter. What they don't understand is that these are their future donors. These are the next generation of fans who instill in THEIR kids what it's like to be a Husker fan.

Not to mention, at least in my opinion, that the team belongs to the students more than it belongs to anyone else. No students = no university = no football team.

• Fire 3

Not to mention, at least in my opinion, that the team belongs to the students more than it belongs to anyone else. No students = no university = no football team.

Maybe so. But ponder this.

Does someone who comes from Missouri to got to school here for 4 years, get his education, and then go chasin back home to earn the money for his hometown and he frankly doesnt give a sh#t about Nebraska football. Is it more his team than, say, mine? Whos been a diehard fan since birth? I'm just sayin, cuz i think this comparison can probably be made quite often. I dont think it's right to give any student the power to say it's their team more than anyone else just simply cuz theyre a student. I never attended the university by the way.

Talking to some friends at UNL they thought the terrible home schedule was a big reason for them not being sold out.

That's bizarre thinking to me. I'd go hang out at practice if they'd let me. I literally pay to watch a Spring football practice every year. I couldn't care less who they're playing, if it's Husker football, I'd like to be there watching it.

The idea that if they're playing weak opponents we won't show up is weird. This Sellout Streak wasn't built on the most rugged of schedules. For the better part of the 60s-90s, you could count on at least five of the other Big 8 schools to be pretty much crap, plus two garbage non-cons and maybe a half-decent-to-good non-con opponent.

The years we played Oklahoma in Norman, we rarely played a "sexy" team in Lincoln. Yet they still sold out the stadium, because it was Nebraska and we were Nebraskans.

• Fire 1

You persist in this idea, but the sellout streak wasn't built on the backs of students. As a percentage, students make up a minority of fans both in existence and in attendance at the games.

This team doesn't have one of the largest, most-dedicated fan followings around the nation because of current students. It doesn't even owe that fandom to alumni - at least not completely. Most Nebraska fans do not and never have attended UNL.

This idea is simply not borne out by the facts, at all.

• Fire 2

Talking to some friends at UNL they thought the terrible home schedule was a big reason for them not being sold out.

That's bizarre thinking to me. I'd go hang out at practice if they'd let me. I literally pay to watch a Spring football practice every year. I couldn't care less who they're playing, if it's Husker football, I'd like to be there watching it.

The idea that if they're playing weak opponents we won't show up is weird. This Sellout Streak wasn't built on the most rugged of schedules. For the better part of the 60s-90s, you could count on at least five of the other Big 8 schools to be pretty much crap, plus two garbage non-cons and maybe a half-decent-to-good non-con opponent.

The years we played Oklahoma in Norman, we rarely played a "sexy" team in Lincoln. Yet they still sold out the stadium, because it was Nebraska and we were Nebraskans.

I didn't mean my friends didn't not buy tickets, because they all still did because they are die hard fans. I think it was more the casual fan maybe they were hearing this from.

You persist in this idea, but the sellout streak wasn't built on the backs of students. As a percentage, students make up a minority of fans both in existence and in attendance at the games.

This team doesn't have one of the largest, most-dedicated fan followings around the nation because of current students. It doesn't even owe that fandom to alumni - at least not completely. Most Nebraska fans do not and never have attended UNL.

This idea is simply not borne out by the facts, at all.

The sellout streak is a number, not a football team.

I get the point, but you take away the non-student fans and you lose the money and the facilities and second-to-none support but you still likely have a football team of some kind.

Take away the students and there is no team.

Anyways, to the point of the topic, regardless of how much 'ownership' the student-body has, national precedent set by hundreds of colleges everywhere shows that it's important to treat your student fans well and UNL has not done that.

But (as you've said before, and has been pointed out by others) you couldn't see the games on TV, and there wasn't a whole lot else to do around here.