Pat Forde's top 3 coaches on the hot seat

You might want to re-read the post you responded to. It wasn't comparing Pelini to other coaches. He was asked how many schools have our "tradition, resources, facilities, and dedicated fanbase".

I did misread this part: "none of these teams replaced a coach with at least a 70% winning percentage and got better."

Now go back and look at those teams again and tell us which ones fired a coach with a 70% winning percentage and got better.

As far as Texas, MB seen the writing on the wall and retired. My guess is he would have been fired anyways before this year. It will be interesting to see how Charlie Strong does down there and if it takes them long to get back.

I'd say none of them fired a 70% winning coach, other than Texas. So it's an impossible comparison.

Lots of folks hereabouts with low standards and shooting at targets well below "excellence".

Seriously? Come on, man.......

I'm surprised that some would find this controversial.

Nothing about it is controversial. It's silly. Is there a single poster on here who doesn't want us to win every single game we play?

Desires and standards are very different things.

Now go back and look at those teams again and tell us which ones fired a coach with a 70% winning percentage and got better.

As far as Texas, MB seen the writing on the wall and retired. My guess is he would have been fired anyways before this year. It will be interesting to see how Charlie Strong does down there and if it takes them long to get back.

I'd say none of them fired a 70% winning coach, other than Texas. So it's an impossible comparison.

and unnecessary. our situation is unique. as is loved to be pointed out, the ad decided not to change the head course. but i think we can still have a conversation about whether or not we think another year was warranted and what would necessitate a change.

and, again, it is funny that people think forde is a joke for putting bo on the hot seat. a rational fanbase would be flattered. he is saying that we are better than just at least 9 wins a season. we are on a list with top programs who he thinks should be enjoying more success than they are. and we are our outraged by that notion. taking it personally. i would imagine that is because bo is now bigger than the program for some.

• Fire 1

#onemoreyear

Man. 2015 is going to be great. It's all set up perfectly.

Nah, there will be an injury to someone in 2015. And in 2016 the schedule isn't fair, what with playing at OSU and Wisconsin in back to back weeks? Obvs the Big Ten hates us and is plotting against us. By 2017 Armstrong will be graduated and we'll be breaking in a new QB. So... 2018?

No. We'll probably have some new assistant coaches by then so it'll take a few years for them to find their footing. My guess is around 2020 so long as no one gets hurt.

• Fire 2

Lots of folks hereabouts with low standards and shooting at targets well below "excellence".

I'm surprised that some would find this controversial.

Nothing about it is controversial. It's silly. Is there a single poster on here who doesn't want us to win every single game we play?

Desires and standards are very different things.

yeah, 'want' is a nebulous term. like, i want world peace, but i am not really going to do anything about it. and i want to drink beer later and i have already taken steps to accomplish that.

• Fire 1

Nebraska has been more patient with Bo Pelini than many, many schools are with head coaches.

Please tell me exactly how many schools have had to put up with a coach only winning 70% of their games?

how many other schools have our tradition, resources, facilities, and dedicated fanbase?

off of the top of my head....Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma, USC, and maybe a couple others that I'm missing as I type. Outside of retirement, NCAA violations, or subsequent failure of the new hire (e.g. Tennessee & Michigan & Nebraska for that matter), none of these teams replaced a coach with at least a 70% winning percentage and got better.

Let's look at that list of "off the top of your head" comparisons and their current (or in the case of Texas most recent head coach - who was fired, BTW)

Texas: Last won conference in 2009, had multiple conference championships, BCS appearances and a national title.

Michigan: BCS bowl 2012

Notre Dame: BCS title game in 2012

Ohio State: BCS game in 2013

Alabama: Multiple National and Conference Championships

Florida: BCS Bowl 2012

Tennessee: Can't fire a 9 win coach when you don't have a 9 win coach. Poor comparison.

Oklahoma: Multiple conference championships, a national title, many BCS appearances included the most recent just last season.

USC: Lane Kiffin was fired with a 65% winning percentage of 28-15. Not exactly 70%, but not 40% either.

If you want to compare Bo with all those other coaches, be sure you compare the entirety of his resume. Yes, he's 57-24 at Nebraska (not counting 2003 Alamo Bowl), but he's won 0 conference championships and been in 0 BCS bowls. So as far as being compared to the other coaches on the list, the only one he compares to is Lane Kiffin. I would even allow comparisons to Brady Hoke, despite his BCS appearance. Hoke's winning percentage? 67%, and he's on a VERY hot seat, though having the AD who hired him still in charge definitely helps him.

Additionally, Bo's experience at Nebraska (7 years) is longer than all the other coaches on that list, other than Stoops and Saban. Yet his list of accomplishments on the field is shorter than most.

I guess I wasn't clear with my delivery...

Michigan: Fired Carr, had to put up with Rich Rod

Notre Dame: Charlie Weis ring a bell?

Ohio State: Tressel was removed because of violations...

Alabama: how were they before Saban? not a superpower

Florida: Urban "retired"

Tennessee: have struggled since Fulmer was fired

Oklahoma: was bad during the 90's until Stoops came

USC: Carroll more than likely left amid violations and Kiffin ignited the dumpster fire.

My point is that if a "successful" coach is fired, the ship is not righted immediately.

Serious! Of course we all want to see the team win em all but that isn't the point. There happens to be a rather large contingent more than willing to accept, and defend, many situations that fall well below a reasonable standard of excellence, imo. I understand that consistently winning nine games is good on many levels, I just happen to be of the opinion we should be doing so much more with our resources. Entitled, spoiled, unreasonable.....call it what you will but, I'm going to say that people who are happy with the status quo have lowered their expectations below a healthy level.

• Fire 2
I just happen to be of the opinion we should be doing so much more with our resources.

What exactly are those resources? And if those resources were so outstanding, why did Eichorst grant Pelini's request for additional resources on the recruiting trail? Another poster listed several schools that have every bit the resources Nebraska does......and probably better location. Ask Urban Meyer.....who chose where he wanted to work. Or Nick Saban.....who "leveraged" Texas' resources before staying at 'Bama. Nebraska is not in those equations.

and, again, it is funny that people think forde is a joke for putting bo on the hot seat. a rational fanbase would be flattered. he is saying that we are better than just at least 9 wins a season. we are on a list with top programs who he thinks should be enjoying more success than they are. and we are our outraged by that notion. taking it personally. i would imagine that is because bo is now bigger than the program for some.

Hammer, meet nail. It certainly appears that some outsiders have greater expectations for our program than some of our own fans. When I see posts happy about winning 9 games, or those claiming that nobody else would want to come coach here, I realize how profoundly the Callahan/Pederson fiasco damaged the psyche of this fanbase. It's saddening.

• Fire 3

I just happen to be of the opinion we should be doing so much more with our resources.

What exactly are those resources? And if those resources were so outstanding, why did Eichorst grant Pelini's request for additional resources on the recruiting trail? Another poster listed several schools that have every bit the resources Nebraska does......and probably better location. Ask Urban Meyer.....who chose where he wanted to work. Or Nick Saban.....who "leveraged" Texas' resources before staying at 'Bama. Nebraska is not in those equations.

The same resources (sans Tom Osborne) that made us a perennial top ten team for a few decades. Yeah, we have some challenges and the cfb landscape has changed some, but it can still be done here. If I didn't think we could do it, I would have a serious problem continuing to be a fan.

So what I've been able to gather thus far is the only way to satisfy everyone at this point is to do one of the following:

1) Win the Conference Title

2) Make a BCS bowl (this of course means win/lose has to be a good game and we missed the CCG because wisky (or whoever wins our division) is undefeated and we only lose to them in a close one)

The point is that 9 wins is fantastic and all and certainly better than "less than 9 wins" or whatever, but we all know that we would much rather have a 2-season stretch go 12-2, B1G and Rose Bowl Champs followed by 7-6, rather than two 9-4 seasons.

At some point, you have to win something. If you make it 7 years at Nebraska without a conference title and without a BCS Bowl appearance, let alone a BCS win (or a playoff appearance, or whatever you want the equivalent to be now) then you are not getting the job done.

• Fire 5