Bo Pelini hates the Devil Weed

It would appear that Bo's little talk at the Big Red Breakfast took an odd turn when some of his social views came into play.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/big-red-breakfast-bo-pelini-calls-marijuana-out-of-control/article_f84a4552-2f83-11e4-a8ef-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Lets face it, its not OK, Pelini said. I think everybody thats our age, my age, hopefully understands that its not OK. Its not good. Its not good for you. And these kids do it on a daily basis and a yearly basis and its a real problem out there.

For the record I don't think grade schoolers should smoke every day either.

Anyhow, weird thing to talk about the day before the game. Does anyone know the context?

Pelini was asked how societal changes have affected his program and how he does his job. The seventh-year head coach said social media and messages that athletes get have affected things. “I tell our coaches this. Kids, what are they prepared to do being away from home for the first time, it’s changed. It’s really changed. How they manage their life, how to deal with society. Their idea of what society is, and in that generation and what’s OK and what’s not OK, it would be an eye-opening experience for you. I think it’s changed. It’s really changed.

“In a lot of ways, not for the better. I wish that everybody would have the experience to go out and be on the road recruiting or a week or two, going in and out of high schools and going in and out of homes, and traveling throughout the country. You would find yourself like I sometimes am, after you’ve done it for a couple weeks, you sit by yourself and reflect on the experience, and shaking your head.
“A lot of times it’s not the kids fault. It’s society. Let’s face it. We do a great job with things. One question we get is, ‘is Marijuana OK?’ The marijuana problem among youth and in high schools and society is out of control, and growing when you look through our college campuses. Let’s face it, it’s not OK. I hope people who are my age know it’s not OK, it’s not good. These kids are hit on a daily basis that it is OK. It’s a real problem. Fortunately for us, it’s not a problem in our program, but in college football and throughout college athletics, and college period — I guarantee you walk into a dorm and it is a horrible problem. I think it’s something as a society we need to get fixed. People talking about it and acting like it’s OK, is the wrong message to send. People talking about what is going in Colorado and saying people need to come around, let me tell you, there’s no bigger place to have to deal with the problems that come along with that, than at the collegiate level, I promise you.”

Link

I think this is getting blown out of proportion. He HAS to be totally against smoking weed because his players can get in one heck of a lot of trouble if they are caught doing it. He stands to lose players over simply smoking a joint. And, we have seen that some are so stupid they do it in city parks.

I have no problem with him being very vocally against it. Maybe some players will listen to him and stay out of trouble.

Pelini was asked how societal changes have affected his program and how he does his job. ... “A lot of times it’s not the kids fault. It’s society. Let’s face it. We do a great job with things. One question we get is, ‘is Marijuana OK?’ The marijuana problem among youth and in high schools and society is out of control, and growing when you look through our college campuses. Let’s face it, it’s not OK. I hope people who are my age know it’s not OK, it’s not good. These kids are hit on a daily basis that it is OK. It’s a real problem. Fortunately for us, it’s not a problem in our program, but in college football and throughout college athletics, and college period — I guarantee you walk into a dorm and it is a horrible problem. I think it’s something as a society we need to get fixed. People talking about it and acting like it’s OK, is the wrong message to send. People talking about what is going in Colorado and saying people need to come around, let me tell you, there’s no bigger place to have to deal with the problems that come along with that, than at the collegiate level, I promise you.”

Link

Amen. I get sick and tired of society having this one-sided debate. One sided in the fact that holding the stance, "It's progressivism; it's becoming ok, and that's good," is the only one you can take without getting ostracized. Fact is, it's not ok, and to finally hear that from a person in an important role - Pelini - is extremely refreshing. Sorry, but progressivism /= progress, contrary to the linguistic relation. Progress = change, and change isn't always good.

Preach, Pelini.

Ahem, now to get off my moral high horse and do bad things myself . . .

Pelini was asked how societal changes have affected his program and how he does his job. ... A lot of times its not the kids fault. Its society. Lets face it. We do a great job with things. One question we get is, is Marijuana OK? The marijuana problem among youth and in high schools and society is out of control, and growing when you look through our college campuses. Lets face it, its not OK. I hope people who are my age know its not OK, its not good. These kids are hit on a daily basis that it is OK. Its a real problem. Fortunately for us, its not a problem in our program, but in college football and throughout college athletics, and college period I guarantee you walk into a dorm and it is a horrible problem. I think its something as a society we need to get fixed. People talking about it and acting like its OK, is the wrong message to send. People talking about what is going in Colorado and saying people need to come around, let me tell you, theres no bigger place to have to deal with the problems that come along with that, than at the collegiate level, I promise you.

Link

Amen. I get sick and tired of society having this one-sided debate. One sided in the fact that holding the stance, "It's progressivism; it's becoming ok, and that's good," is the only one you can take without getting ostracized. Fact is, it's not ok, and to finally hear that from a person in an important role - Pelini - is extremely refreshing. Sorry, but progressivism /= progress, contrary to the linguistic relation. Progress = change, and change isn't always good.

Preach, Pelini.

Ahem, now to get off my moral high horse and do bad things myself . . .

This guy wants to come with you (I do too).

post-1055-0-14515900-1409327807_thumb.jpg