An analysis of OC Tim Beck.

On the other hand there is a progression, which mainly starts with the outside. When we do use the middle it is 20+ yards down the field. We very seldom throw the slant pass. We also do not utilize our TE or Backs enough in the passing game. Due to our poor line play, we should have been throwing the quick passes before the 4th quarter.

I agree with this part. However, there were receivers in that "less than 20 yards down field" zone earlier in the game.

Were they running routes or blocking? It appeared that the pass was not part of the game plan early.

I specifically remember two plays early in the game where they were running routes. I would have to go back and rematch it and see if there were more.

One of them was the roll out pass to (I think) Bell in the first quarter. The announcers even commented on Westercamp getting open in the middle but TA was locked in on Bell on the side lines.

On the other hand there is a progression, which mainly starts with the outside. When we do use the middle it is 20+ yards down the field. We very seldom throw the slant pass. We also do not utilize our TE or Backs enough in the passing game. Due to our poor line play, we should have been throwing the quick passes before the 4th quarter.

I agree with this part. However, there were receivers in that "less than 20 yards down field" zone earlier in the game.

Were they running routes or blocking? It appeared that the pass was not part of the game plan early.

I specifically remember two plays early in the game where they were running routes. I would have to go back and rematch it and see if there were more.

One of them was the roll out pass to (I think) Bell in the first quarter. The announcers even commented on Westercamp getting open in the middle but TA was locked in on Bell on the side lines.

There was so few pass plays, I can't remember.

The biggest thing is that our O line stunk. It stunk in pass pro. It stunk in run blocking. Heck, it even stunk standing in their stance waiting for the snap. Honestly, I can't think of one good thing to say about the O line in that game. It stunk in communication as to what even play is being ran. It stunk in friggen even snapping the ball when it was supposed to be snapped.

Now, if TA hasn't been hit and rushed all game, does he make some of those crucial throws we all saw being thrown at receiver's feet? Very possibly. At least it would have been easier for them to be completed.

I don't see how the OL can look like crap one week (McNeese) then look great a few weeks in a row only to go back to crap. It isn't the competition, McNeese isn't head and shoulders above Illinois or Miami.

Something was coached into them this week that flat out didn't work.

And whatever it was that wasn't working, we stuck with it far too long.

The coaches do their homework and figure out a plan of attack. But when that plan doesn't work, 'round about the time we failed to score on their third turnover, that's when you need to chuck the plan and do something else.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

- Mike Tyson

We got punched in the mouth using this plan. Punched over and over and over, and we stuck with the plan. I didn't like that.

• Fire 1

Armstrong was sacked 3 times in the first half (unless I missed more). Beck called passing plays early when the run wasn't working but when you have a right tackle or a left guard that just stands there watching the defender run unblocked to the QB, it's pretty dang hard to adjust away from a running game to passing the ball.

• Fire 2

On Big Red Overreaction, Damon stated that Tim Beck had to get conservative at times and that he shouldn't be taking much flack after this loss.

When you're offensive line is playing as poorly as they are, you have to get conservative at times and play vanilla.

I hate to give much credit to this staff after once again crapping the bed in prime time, yet Tim Beck called an aggressive passing plan in the 4th that almost paid off.

The staff didn't fold and play to lose in the end, they played to win. You have to look at some positives even if you think MSU cashed it in the 4th.....the offense got aggressive and Tommy made some clutch throws. The last pick was all on the WR's as I watched the end again today. Hovey and Pierson got in each other's way....no bones about it. Now, I would chalk that up to inexperience, but you gotta come through for your QB....Pierson would've been open.

Once again, the team will make it to Indy at 11-1 if this staff keeps this team focused. I am placing the rest of the year's outcome on the staff....the talent and leadership is there fellas, up to the staff now. I really hope they turn this loss into something motivating and come back stronger. I still can't believe how poorly the o-line played. All 5 played like crap, but wow....Sterup got worked....and worked and worked (as harshly as it sounds, Damon eluded to that Sterup isn't BIG10 lineman material). You had d-ends flying right by him...time to sit his ass if this continues to happen. MSU wanted this win badly and their front 7 showed it. Credit to them...

• Fire 1

I don't see how the OL can look like crap one week (McNeese) then look great a few weeks in a row only to go back to crap. It isn't the competition, McNeese isn't head and shoulders above Illinois or Miami.

The coaches do their homework and figure out a plan of attack. But when that plan doesn't work, 'round about the time we failed to score on their third turnover, that's when you need to chuck the plan and do something else.

- Mike Tyson

We got punched in the mouth using this plan. Punched over and over and over, and we stuck with the plan. I didn't like that.

And then we go in for halftime, come out, and it's pretty obvious that nothing has changed. That's when I gave up completely on Beck. It's just never gonna work consistently enough for us to do what we wanna do..

- Mike Tyson

And then we go in for halftime, come out, and it's pretty obvious that nothing has changed. That's when I gave up completely on Beck. It's just never gonna work consistently enough for us to do what we wanna do..

I would place a little blame on Beck for the offensive line woes because he is the end all be all on offense. However, I am taking a harder look at Garrison and Cotton as well as the leaders on the line. How in the hell do you play like that after putting up amazing stats in the first 4 out of 5 games. Is MSU just that much better than the first 4 opponents......we saw the same BS against McNeese St....I am taking a harder look at the coaches....this is the 2nd time this year the o-line has played like straight dooty.

Buster:

People bitch about Beck not sticking to the run game because he goes away from it when it's working. People bitch about him sticking too much too it because he does it when it's NOT working. The gripes on Tim Beck are not philosophical. Theyre situational. Too many times it becomes obvious to the most casual fans what we could to make this work or do something here, and he proceeds to do the opposite. Then this year he seemed to finally have it figured out. He "reinvented himself" as some have said. Until of course we had to play the most important game of the year and goes into bonehead mode again.

The most important game of the year also happened to be against the best defense of the year, perhaps light years beyond Illinois or Fresno State.

If it's obvious to the most casual fans what we could do to make it work, we should be allowed to draw up the gameplan ourselves.

Oh that's right. We did. Virtually every play we ran Saturday was a play the fans had clamored for: something that worked perfectly in the past.

The notion that armchair Husker fans know the play that would have worked, as if that play isn't just as reliant on proper execution and the Michigan State DC isn't as clever as an armchair fan, is laughable.

It doesn't matter what you call if you are getting your azz kicked up front.

This really is the focal point some people seem to be forgetting, ignoring, or both. The offensive line got straight up embarrassed. They just got worked. From my perspective, they looked like they weren't mentally ready. That leads to bad technique, fundamentals and poor play.

I certainly think it would've helped a lot had we connected on some throws, no question. But, what would've helped significantly more is an offensive line that was playing cohesively and at least playing average or decent. We didn't see that, so, we instead must sit here and toil about a few plays that if they'd gone our way we could've won. I just can't get over how bad they played to really focus on some of the other issues, because, the other issues don't seem as important as this one. They. Got. Worked.

• Fire 2

Here is a question I have, and I am no where near as qualified as Tim Beck on offense. I also have not re-watched the game.

We ran a spread set most of the game with 5 OL, maybe a TE, and one back. We had 6 guys to block 7 or 8 in the run game because they were not respecting the pass game. They played straight man on our receivers and stuffed the run. Why not bring in a FB/Hback and try to run power plays?

Tommy was either getting called gives/keeps or had the worst game in the history of football running the read option. I have no idea what the hell he was seeing. He couldn't complete bullet screens, slants, screens, or swings. None of that had anything to do with protection as they were out of shotgun. Our QB play is highly suspect right now, along with our formations and play selection.

Who is in charge of both of these areas, again?

Funny thing is, just about every bitch of what people think Beck doesn't do, he did in this game. It simply wasn't working.

Bitches I have heard:

a) He isn't committed to the run game...hmmmm...he sure seemed to be committed to it most of the game.

b) He doesn't adjust during games.....Hmmmmm....well, he adjusted and went to more of a passing attack when it was proven the run wasn't working.

c) He doesn't do short routes...hmmm...he called them but they weren't completed.

d) He doesn't use his full backs...hmmmm...we saw a full back pass in this game.

e) He never calls a screen pass...hmmm...I saw a few.

f) He isn't creative on how to get Ameer the ball....Hmmm...I remember a number of plays I had never seen for Ameer in this game trying to get him the ball in space.

g) bla bla bla bla......

It doesn't matter what you call if you are getting your azz kicked up front. Now, I think if Tommy could have connected on the short passes that were wide open to Ameer and Westercamp, the running game would have opened up more. But, he didn't.

But, if they're sending 7 guys, and you only allocate 5 guys to block, do you really expect the run game to work? If you do, then you're delusional.

Beck brought an extra guy, but that still left one guy unblocked. This is pretty simple math that our offensive coordinator failed to realize for the first few drives of the game.

That's an inability to adjust to a situation.

Jesus guys. He's the same offensive coordinator who ran one of the top five rushing offenses in the country.

Do you honestly think he didn't do the math? Or make adjustments?

Or that he failed to give up on the running game soon enough?

Did it look to your eyes that another tight end might have sprung Ameer Abdullah for serious yardage?

Or did it look like a faster, stronger Michigan defense -- one of the best in the nation -- committed to stopping the run and succeeded? That they dared us to beat them passing — as anticipated — but with far less time to plant and throw and on a crappy day when veteran Conner Cook fared even worse, Tommy Armstrong couldn't loosen up the secondary? That as sh**ty and ineffective as they played all day, the OC and his beaten up Sophomore QB, minus their best receiver and without the luxury of a running game managed to take the #10 team down to the final play, inches away from the greatest comeback in Nebraska history, on the road?

Question Tim Beck if you want. But #FireTimBeck? Please.

When teams have an ongoing history of big game meltdowns, it's not about playcalling. That's why most people don't throw coordinators under the bus.

• Fire 4