I Wasn't That Impressed with Randy Gregory

This is just an observation, so please hold back with the hate. I wasn't very impressed with how Randy Gregory played last night. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't disruptive. He had one or two plays where I thought I saw the real RG. However, for the rest of the night, he could have been anyone else. I think he still has some rust. He was having trouble all night long with what-was-supposed-to-be a mediocre Miami O-line. Although I think he's worth the hype, the media has fueled it. Several times last night, the announcers declared how disruptive RG had been on the play, only to see on the replay that he was nowhere near the play. In fact, on one play, Kaya was hurried and barely got it away. The announcers were declaring how RG had forced the throw. On the replay, we see that the tackle had essential pile-driven RG into the ground, leaving him completely out of the play.

I wonder if RG is trying too hard to live up to the hype. Yeah, it's early and he still needs a few more games to get back into shape, but I hope that he just settles down and lets the game come to him. Okay, there's your cue to call me an idiot.

I would have to go back and watch the tape, but I believe they double teamed him almost every time.They were chipping him all night as well.

It is hard as a D-lineman to make a difference every play but you are right. He wasnt nearly as disruptive as I would like but he didnt have a bad game, more middle of the road.

I was more disappointed with his fighting. I dont think he was 100% in the wrong but he lost his cool and that could have cost us longer down the road.

As a leader, I want to see Gregory back off and play smarter.. dont get caught up in that crap.

All in all, I was happy with Gregorys performance last night.

Several times last night, the announcers declared how disruptive RG had been on the play, only to see on the replay that he was nowhere near the play..

They were running plays away from him......which is by definition "planning around him"....that in itself is disruptive. There's also a reason Valentine is getting in the backfield more since Gregory's return.

• Fire 4

At the defensive end position it is hard to seem 'disruptive' every play. He had 8 tackles and 2 sacks (great game). I remember several plays where he didn't make the play but forced Kaaya to move out of the pocket or he seen him coming. I think we need to utilize him more standing up and rushing up the middle or picking his spot because that's what he will do in the NFL and will be damn good doing it. Offenses are also double teaming, chip blocking, cutting, and throwing quick screens when you have a player like Randy.

As others have said, playing DE is a very difficult position to be actively disruptive against the ball. This is magnified when the playcalling either runs away from you, or doubles you whenever you are play side.

Re-watch the game and notice the scheme that was made to try to neutralize RG4 and McMullen. They took a risk leaving our DT with 1 on 1 on most running plays. It did not work well for them. Maliek Collins and Vincent Valentine were animals last night. When they play well and with purpose our DL might be the best in the conference against the run.

edit: Had to come back to this one.

OP, did you even look at the stats or watch what was going on during the game? Or did you watch the ball and say, "RG didn't get that tackle".

It would help keep the board clean if you read a little more before you start a thread from now on. Post this in another thread, like "What did we learn" or something. Then we could talk about it there and you could learn something about being "unimpressed"

• Fire 1

Randy Gregory played his ass off and had Canes cheap shotting him all night long, and he still made some huge plays.

Yet, I get to come to Huskerboard.com the next morning and see a topic title dogging the kid. GTFO with this crap. That dude battled all night. The whole defense did. You wouldn't last two damn plays with the crap they were pulling on our defensive front, especially Gregory, yet you weren't impressed....blah blah blah. I'm not impressed by you fella.

• Fire 7

I am not a fan of bashing the kids no matter how they play.

Gregory is now getting cut, double teamed, and held nearly every play. He, Bo, and Paps will have to adjust to that. Randy still made a huge defensive play with his sack at the beginning of the 4th quarter. That kept Miami out of the end zone, and forced them to settle for a FG.

I initially thought he wasn't doing a whole lot. Then I watched him for a few plays, they did double him most of the night. I really like the idea of moving him around a bit, make it difficult for the OL to know who is blocking him. I think just moving him around wii cause some confusion issues.

I did think he looked like he was hobbling a couple of times(result of all the cut blocks maybe?) and short of breath once or twice. I wonder if maybe he's not quite 100% condition wise yet. He's so long and lanky he just looks like he could get hurt, sure hope he stays healthy the rest of the way.