Nebraska #21 in AP

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Mississippi State jumps to 14 from unranked for beating an overrated LSU team.

Well, LSU did beat Wisky... and winning a night game in Death Valley is no easy task. I think MS State is deserving of that ranking.

After Wisky got decimated by injuries. That is like your older brother getting you to level 10 in a video game before handing it over to you and you instantly lose all the lives in the game at level 11. You put your name down and go, "Look how far I got!"

I'm really high from last night still, I've never been at a game like that before -- wow, it was INTENSE. I looked at the polls today, grumbled about Miss St moving from NR to top 15, grumbled again when I saw the losing LSU still ranked above us, but then faced the truth. We've made our bed, and it's time to lay in it. We've historically lost too many big games, even under TO. If we want to be top 5 where we "should be" - then like knapplc and Moiraine already pointed out -- it's our job to keep winning. Four loss seasons have to stop if we want to be in the top 10.

I'm really high from last night still, I've never been at a game like that before -- wow, it was INTENSE. I looked at the polls today, grumbled about Miss St moving from NR to top 15, grumbled again when I saw the losing LSU still ranked above us, but then faced the truth. We've made our bed, and it's time to lay in it. We've historically lost too many big games, even under TO. If we want to be top 5 where we "should be" - then like knapplc and Moiraine already pointed out -- it's our job to keep winning. Four loss seasons have to stop if we want to be in the top 10.

everything was making sense, then I read the bolded...

We're the lowest-ranked 4-0 team in the AP poll, behind seven one-loss teams.

We are also the only team in the history of the poll to have dropped six spots (and out of the Top 25) after a victory.

If we were in the SEC west with the exact same 4-0 record against this current schedule, we'd be top 10.

True, but if we hadn't S the bed against several teams last year, looking all sorts of outclassed doing it, we would be higher ranked now too.

There is an SEC bias, no question. But there's also our own history working against us. It sucks, but it's hard to fault the voters.

Win out and we're fine. Simple solution.

I would say it is SEC bias more then anything...Miss St hasn't been a good team for a few years going 7-6, 8-5 and 7-6 the last 3 years. There 3 wins before LSU were to Southern Miss, UAB and S. Bama. I will say they did play good against LSU but not good enough to warrant the ranking.

Then you must not know Nebraska history.

No, I do. As well as anyone here. I just am having trouble seeing how anything Tom Osborne did as head coach is influencing voting right now in CFB polls 17 years after he retired.

No, I do. As well as anyone here. I just am having trouble seeing how anything Tom Osborne did as head coach is influencing voting right now in CFB polls 17 years after he retired.

I could probably have left that piece out -- I think the difference between the TO era, the latter TO era in particular, and the Solich/Callahan/Pelini era is that TO teams didn't lose the games they should win. They won them. (Example, 2013: beating UCLA, Minnesota, and Iowa leave us with 1 loss) However, throughout recent history, even under TO, Nebraska has been prone to losing the big games.

Beating Georgia last year was great, and taking down Miami yesterday was another building block.

We better not fall into a trap game this weekend, but I'll admit I'm already looking forward to Sparty and that creepy badgeresque mascot up at Camp Randall.

The only way we're going to beat a top 5 team is to go through our regular season undefeated, because just like the Big XII did when we were there, the B1G is self-destructing, losing games it shouldn't and then proceeding to beat up on each other during conference play.

We control our future. Win out. At that point we can start talking about how great we are....but we have to prove it.

LOL you guys want to drop a team for beating a top 20 team on the road, Good one!

I didn't say they should be dropped.

Next question, you think the purple kitties are really that good?

I know you didn't, but a lot of people did. I don't think KSU is all that good but this early in the season who knows, and they did give Auburn a decent game. It's a lot of guessing at this point but if the voters think KSU was good enough to be rated, it's consistent not to penalize Auburn for beating them at home even if it was close. Lots of critics of the polls but they have a way of sorting themselves out through the season. If you want a different method, we could go with the "Real Top 10" that guy is posting on this board, LOL. Besides, the committee is under no obligation to follow their rankings to pick the 4 teams.

We're the lowest-ranked 4-0 team in the AP poll, behind seven one-loss teams.

We are also the only team in the history of the poll to have dropped six spots (and out of the Top 25) after a victory.

Oh poor us, we're the most unfairly treated team by the pollsters. Everybody hates us.

Unless it's the unranked 4-0 teams like Penn State, Duke, Washington, Arizona, Georgia Tech, and NC State, who didn't even get a single vote in the AP.