Mike Pereira: Nebraska's Bo Pelini once again crosses the line with officials

zoogs

Before or after the interception has no bearing. But once the QB makes a move to try to go after the interceptor, he can be blocked.

what about unnecessary roughness v. roughing the passer? would that make a difference on if the pick got called back or not?

Yes. If it was unnecessary roughness, it would matter if it was before or after the interception was caught.

Yeah and if you watch his reactions in accordance with the calls i tjink its safe to say he had no idea there was a roughing call, which is why he really flipped out on the retaining of possession. He seemed to tame down when that part was maybe explained then ge was just mad about that bad call.

Pretty sure (dont think its in landlords vid) after one of the incidents you can clearly read his lips telling the ref to "get f'ing control". Lol

Before or after the interception has no bearing. But once the QB makes a move to try to go after the interceptor, he can be blocked.

what about unnecessary roughness v. roughing the passer? would that make a difference on if the pick got called back or not?

Yes. If it was unnecessary roughness, it would matter if it was before or after the interception was caught.

i wonder if bo thought it was an unnecessary roughness call and was upset that it was roughing the passer.

i am still upset that pick was called back. what a bummer. and it is such a weak penalty/rule.

final thought, bo probably should not be storming onto the field like that. but otherwise i do not see what the big deal is.

I think it's possible that Count is correct: we kind of assume that Bo saying "it was after the INT" was about the roughing call. Might not have seen that part as the ball was out for a bit before the flag came out and with all the other stuff that went on afterwards. He did seem to calm down fairly quickly after talking for a bit.

I think it's possible that Count is correct: we kind of assume that Bo saying "it was after the INT" was about the roughing call. Might not have seen that part as the ball was out for a bit before the flag came out and with all the other stuff that went on afterwards. He did seem to calm down fairly quickly after talking for a bit.

I honestly don't think the flag was thrown til the pick occurred. You can see it in the air during Gerry's return.

If I had one call I could have made Saturday, it would be ejecting the prick who took Ameer Abdullah down by the facemask with extreme predjudice. Could have been a career ender. Worst among several ugly plays. 15 yards didn't do it justice, but Ameer's response came close.

Agreed. I was very surprised there wasn't an ejection for that. I, too, thought that could have been a career-ending tackle.

I honestly don't think the flag was thrown til the pick occurred. You can see it in the air during Gerry's return.

It doesn't matter when the flag was thrown.

After watching that "roughing the passer" play again, I'm more convinced than ever that the flag never should have been thrown. Valentine was blocked into the QB, and by rule, that is not a penalty. Valentine made contact at the waist, thigh & knee in that order, nearly simultaneously, while falling after being pushed in the back. He is not directing his hit at or below the knee - only his right hand makes contact at the knee.

Further, per the rule, Valentine was attempting to wrap up the QB, "Exceptions for these types of hits occur when: the defender grabs or wraps the passer in an attempt to make a conventional tackle," and Valentine explicitly does wrap him up - with the major force of the tackle coming from Valentine's hand on the QB's waist.

That flag was thrown out of an abundance of caution (to put the best spin on it), but it was not the intent of that rule.

• Fire 3

If I had one call I could have made Saturday, it would be ejecting the prick who took Ameer Abdullah down by the facemask with extreme predjudice. Could have been a career ender. Worst among several ugly plays. 15 yards didn't do it justice, but Ameer's response came close.

It wasn't a face mask. He took him down with a clothesline by the throat. And while it could be called unnecessary roughness I don't think it is technically illegal.

Knapp you're spot on! By definition to the letter in no way is that a penalty.

It wasn't a face mask. He took him down with a clothesline by the throat. And while it could be called unnecessary roughness I don't think it is technically illegal.

Yeah. I was gonna say that was ot a face mask. Not even close. And a friend of mine argued but essentially agreed. What's the defender supposed to do? Now, in the heat of that point in time with had just happened, and pretty stellar argument could be made that there was malicious intent there. But under any other circumstance in a normal game, it would be seen as just a rough tackle. Now, my argument to my friend was that in today's football, that sh#t just dont fly anymore. Remember, Randy Gregory was called for pretty much the exact same kind of tackle on a sack of the Wyoming quarterback last season. And Brock Huard said point blank, that now a days, you just cant get your hands/arms anywhere near the head/neck area.

He did not grab the face mask. But unnecessary roughness woulda been the correct call, and given what had just happened moments prior, and ejection would not have been surprising.

Yeah. I was gonna say that was ot a face mask. Not even close. And a friend of mine argued but essentially agreed. What's the defender supposed to do? Now, in the heat of that point in time with had just happened, and pretty stellar argument could be made that there was malicious intent there. But under any other circumstance in a normal game, it would be seen as just a rough tackle. Now, my argument to my friend was that in today's football, that sh#t just dont fly anymore. Remember, Randy Gregory was called for pretty much the exact same kind of tackle on a sack of the Wyoming quarterback last season. And Brock Huard said point blank, that now a days, you just cant get your hands/arms anywhere near the head/neck area.

He did not grab the face mask. But unnecessary roughness woulda been the correct call, and given what had just happened moments prior, and ejection would not have been surprising.

The non-reaction by the Miami defender on that particular play said it all. He knew what he had done was a penalty.