Mike Pereira: Nebraska's Bo Pelini once again crosses the line with officials

zoogs

I watched it on DVR. Valentine bull-rushes the QB, the blocker is behind him and shoves Valentine in the back as VV is going by. VV is stumbling and ends up making contact - not "hitting," but making contact - with the QB around the legs. Off the top of my head I can't recall if the QB even falls.

That is a call you can make, but often don't. Players bounce around each others' legs all the time. Even with the focus on the QB getting hit low you're not going to see that call made every time. It's a judgment call, and in that instance, it was a huge momentum swing and could have contributed to a loss.

I'd also like to see the timing of that flag being thrown. I thought at the game that it came out after Gerry made the INT, not before. Not sure if replay showed that and I didn't have time to go back and forth watching the DVR.

I watched it on DVR. Valentine bull-rushes the QB, the blocker is behind him and shoves Valentine in the back as VV is going by. VV is stumbling and ends up making contact - not "hitting," but making contact - with the QB around the legs. Off the top of my head I can't recall if the QB even falls.

That is a call you can make, but often don't. Players bounce around each others' legs all the time. Even with the focus on the QB getting hit low you're not going to see that call made every time. It's a judgment call, and in that instance, it was a huge momentum swing and could have contributed to a loss.

I'd also like to see the timing of that flag being thrown. I thought at the game that it came out after Gerry made the INT, not before. Not sure if replay showed that and I didn't have time to go back and forth watching the DVR.

How soon was it after the throw? Because the throw wasn't in the air long - as I remember it, it was a bullet straight into Gerry's arms. And as soon as Gerry touches the ball, VV could have snapped the QB in half for all anyone cares and that's not a flag, so...

Here's the highlights from the ACC. You can see the "roughing" penalty at about 2:15

Wow....what a total BS call.

Tell me, how is the Nebraska player supposed to avoid that in that situation? He was still in the follow through with his motion, the defender was being blocked and falling into the QB.

On another note, is there about a one foot window on the QB now that you can hit? You can't it him too high. You can't hit him too low. No clue how a player avoids getting these penalties.

Here's the highlights from the ACC. You can see the "roughing" penalty at about 2:15

Wow....what a total BS call.

Tell me, how is the Nebraska player supposed to avoid that in that situation? He was still in the follow through with his motion, the defender was being blocked and falling into the QB.

On another note, is there about a one foot window on the QB now that you can hit? You can't it him too high. You can't hit him too low. No clue how a player avoids getting these penalties.

The simple answer is because they have pussified the sport to the point of not considering intent and they will now err on the side of player protection at all costs. I too feel it was a BS call but not because it was called but rather because of the rule that even allows it to be called. VV (or any player in that situation) couldn't have avoided it and he sure didn't "go low" on him on purpose. It was an extremely costly penalty for us due to the situation but the situation does not change whether it gets called or not. It was a judgement call on the part of the ref that easily could have been let go but, with the emphasis on player protection coupled with some mindless, intent doesn't matter, zero tolerance type thinking, well, this is what you get. There are examples of this all over football currently with hits to the head etc. Often times players just can't avoid and never intend to commit these penalties but, they are getting called flagged all over the place. It just happens to be rare that one of these calls harms a team as much as that call harmed us at that time.
The simple answer is because they have pussified the sport to the point of not considering intent and they will now err on the side of player protection at all costs. I too feel it was a BS call but not because it was called but rather because of the rule that even allows it to be called. VV (or any player in that situation) couldn't have avoided it and he sure didn't "go low" on him on purpose. It was an extremely costly penalty for us due to the situation but the situation does not change whether it gets called or not. It was a judgement call on the part of the ref that easily could have been let go but, with the emphasis on player protection coupled with some mindless, intent doesn't matter, zero tolerance type thinking, well, this is what you get. There are examples of this all over football currently with hits to the head etc. Often times players just can't avoid and never intend to commit these penalties but, they are getting called flagged all over the place. It just happens to be rare that one of these calls harms a team as much as that call harmed us at that time.

it is so frustrating. because, that penalty called back a huge pick. but, VV was not at fault. like you say, it does not consider intent or even context. it is like the ref just looked right as VV landed at kaaya's feet and reflexively threw the flag.

i get pretty angry thinking about it.

It was a terrible call which could have changed the outcome of the game, and I wasn't disturbed by how Pelini reacted.

I totally agree. I don't think Pelini was out of line one bit. This was a bad call. There were a few instances where holding wasn't being called on Miami that clearly should have been. I was all for Bo to speak his mind in that instance.

I think that sums it up very well Knapp. While I agree that it was a questionable call, it also was technically not a bad call. One that probably could go either way, but this year I bet gets made way more often than not. Any defender in the legs of the QB, regardless of how he gets there, is most likely going to draw the flag.

I'm starting to think that they should put flags on the QB.

Again, same thing is going on in the NFL. Players have been alerted to the new rules, but when the game is being played in real time it's hard to tell the flagged players what they were supposed to do differently. Players hate it. Coaches hate it. Announcers hate it. Third down sacks turn into automatic first downs. A lot of these plays are potential game-changers.

Couple weeks ago Pete Carroll called in a rugby player to teach the Seahawks rugby tackling. Because rugby is played without helmets - and played hard - it's good tackling technique given the new rules. Pretty good technique anyway.

Well, I said it last week after rewatching the 95 orange bowl that most of those hits on Costa would have been flagged. This play proves my point.

If football fans (especially Husker fans) dream of having a defense that terrorizes QBs like ours did in the 90s, you are going to be greatly disappointed for the rest of your life. It simply can't be done with the rules the way they are and those rules aren't going to go backwards.

• Fire 1