This year's defense

If the way bando has played thus far and was really right there with Rose for the 1, our issues at linebacker are much more interesting than i thought. My other idea is the Rose injusry caused Bando to let complacency set in. And the Roach crawled up his back.

This is what I was thinking as well

If the way bando has played thus far and was really right there with Rose for the 1, our issues at linebacker are much more interesting than i thought. My other idea is the Rose injusry caused Bando to let complacency set in. And the Roach crawled up his back.

I think the reality is, he is just not a superstar...He is just what he is, average.

I think offenses just run more plays now too...I mean in the past you would run about 65 plays? Now its 85?? I could be wrong on those numbers...

But, 20 more plays can add to a lot more yardage and another TD...

I think that 21 is the old 14 (Sounds like something a pervert would say while on trial)...

This is a recent development. The clock rules were changed a few years ago to shorten the game, and now we are back the number of plays before the clock changes because of up tempo offenses.

People might be knocking the LB's, but I thought Santos played as well if not the best of any defender out there. Miami has buckets of speed, and I thought we pretty much neutralized it all game long. The slow starts don't necessarily concern me as it primarily seems like we're feeling out the offense the first possession or two. Concerning the level of speed and talent Miami has, I felt this was the most complete game we've played in what seems like forever.

I felt he did too, and agreed that it was up there among the most complete games in recent memory. Probably the most.

I think our defense has some leaky areas. Appears to be the second level and some question with depth. But I think all together we will be exposed against a good, physical offensive line that has a power running game, some decent speed and a good game plan. Miami has some good players on offense, but that line was not that challenging. If we can spot our weaknesses, so can any OC.

I think the reality is, he is just not a superstar...He is just what he is, average.

Well then so is Rose, hence, like I said. We have some major Mike issues. Cuz Bando and Rose were splitting #1 reps. Confirmed by media in fall camp. And we all know that Rose is better than average. So what happened to Bando? That's why I have the complacency theory. I think he has this mindset that with the injury it's his job to lose (and at this point, I think he has ironically) and that he aint worried as a legacy, high-star recruit, about losing it to some scrub walk-on, esp. after he got a second chance after stealin bikes.

If we can spot our weaknesses, so can any OC.

Well, that's only true if the fans are correctly identifying the weaknesses. That's a pretty big 'if'. Additionally, each game is different. Aren't too many teams with the talent Miami has at RB, TE, and WR. And even if you're correct, then can't the DC also see the weakness and adjust?

So as tough as Saturday must have been on Banderas, he remains on a developmental curve. Banderas, like safety and close friend Nate Gerry behind him, has all the athletic gifts. Gerry is playing loose and aggressive, using all his natural speed and hitting prowess. Banderas isn’t yet. But Gerry’s job isn’t as hard, either. Banderas is roughly where David was early in 2010 and Will Compton was in 2009 — Compton’s redshirt freshman year.

Enter Mr. Roach. He’s as developed as he’s going to be and he has a senior’s savvy.
Even he could not consistently cover one of the toughest routes for a linebacker to handle: When the defense is spread out and the running back is working across the middle in open space. Johnson and his backup, Joseph Yearby, burned Nebraska out of the backfield on that play.
“That’s super hard,” Roach said. “He basically has a ‘two-way go’ on you, and he’s obviously going to be faster than you, because that’s his job.”
It’s hard for every linebacker. Heck, I watched David get roasted by Fozzy Whittaker in the 2010 Texas game on the exact same play. Forty-one yards worth of roasted. David made the same two costly mistakes, too: He let Whittaker come to him instead of challenging Whittaker at the line of scrimmage; and instead of using the sideline as an extra defender, he let Whittaker go inside with almost the entire width of the field in front of him.

OWH

I don't know about complacency. I think McKewon has it about right and Bo has alluded to the same thing without naming names. Tackling needs to be cleaned up but I'm not sure that's the biggest issue.

And a lot of it is exactly what Roach said. Teams have found ways to isolate their RBs on our LBs in space. That isn't a good matchup for any LB. They are standing there waiting while the back is running right at them then they have to react. We need to either try to shade them to make them go one way or get some more help. We went with more zone coverage late in the Miami game. Hopefully we have some more of that to mix in to help.

He's literally Sean Fisher right now, great athlete with supposed huge amounts of potential but seems lost on the field and makes him play slow. Hopefully Bando can figure it out better and faster than fisher did, don't want another in-state super star to turn out to be average to below average.
  • Fire 1

We need to get the LB situation settled. Did Bando put on weight for this year? He just seems slower.

Maybe he took his blackshirt status for granted and didn't work hard during the offseason. Or he was just too busy to work hard because he was stealing other people's stuff.

He tried to get himself a bike to stay lean. Not his fault it didn't work out.

• Fire 1

Before the Miami game, I had a feeling it was not going to go well for Nebraska. Our offense bailed us out big time. It was basically a scoring fest with both teams moving up and down the field at will. Miami did it through the air, and Nebraska did it on the ground.

It should not come as a huge shock that our offense did this. While going to the game, I listened to the opposition segment on the radio and the Miami play-by-play guy said the team's run defense was iffy at best and was hoping that their performance against Ark State was something other than an aberration. It was just that. The Canes were porous up front.

We were just as bad. With all of the emotion of the double tunnel walk and the crowd going nuts and a frosh QB in the game, you would expect the Canes to run the ball three times and punt, possibly after a false start or two. Instead, they went right to the air, sliced and diced the Huskers and scored. Bo said the Canes might have done some things that were not totally expected. Still, the team needed to stand up at some point in that march. They never did.

I think the Canes punted once, maybe twice. It was a good thing they turned it over by way of fumble, because otherwise, I am not so sure we win the game.

Going forward, it's hard to bet too heavy on the defense against Wisky and Mich State.

I hope the team improves and is better by those two games. But I will believe it when I see it. NOT before.

• Fire 2

It seems like this year's defense will be a work in progress and have it's ups and downs this season. I really like the front 4, but there is a lack of depth. The same can be said for the secondary.

Benning and Sharp had some good comments on why the defense may struggle this season. There are 4 reasons: LeRoy Alexander, Michael Rose-Ivey, Charles Jackson, and Avery Moss. Those are 4 starters/key contributors who possess a lot of talent who are missing from this year's D.

Hopefully guys can step up and improve through the rest of the year.

The motto of this season is improvement. It should be visible on film, week to week. We can rave all we like about this or that player, but our defense is young across the board. A few players we absolutely would have counted on to plug holes are unavailable. Worrying about stats is for another year. Winning however we have to should be this team's only focus, and if that means giving up a few bonehead plays, so be it. If the LB corps creates takeaways like last week, a lot of our concerns will no longer exist however many yards they give up.