Michigan

Scratchtown

All things aside, why the hell was that Minnesota player not ejected? Jesus f'ing christ. If we're gonna make the rules and come up with all these "when in doubt throw the flag" requirements, then that right there shoulda been a text book ejection AND suspension. There's just no room for that sh#t in the game.

Now with that out of the way. I keep seeing the phrase "re-inserting Morris". Unless I'm missing something in the above videos, that's not true and is misleading to the overall situation. He wasnt re-inserted. He just did not come out of the game. That makes it a little less egregious in my opinion. If the player knows he's too hurt to play, he has to say so. But I didnt watch the actual game. Was Morris put back in later on after the recording of the above videos was stopped?

I don't think it warranted ejection and suspension. A flag yes, but come on. It was a sprint out pass so the QB was running and Minnesota player didn't intentionally use his helmet. There has to be some wiggle room for accidents with helmet to helmet hits. It's a fast game and they can't be perfect. Zero tolerance ejections for helmet hits are the second dumbest rule the NCAA has made just behind the "Must be 3 seconds to spike the ball" debacle. Ejections and suspensions are for what Miami was pulling last week, not a defender trying make a play. And furthermore, why is helmet to helmet hits just the burden of the defensive player. RB's lead with the crown of the helmet all the time. The automatic ejection, is why some penalties aren't being called. Zero tolerance = Zero common sense.

Back on point. Michigan needs to remove the AD as well as Hoke. Sounds like our situation from '07. I sincerely hope they get it cleaned up. B1G needs it's power programs to be good.

Dude. He lead with his head and his eyes down and put the crown of his helmet on his chin. This is textbook for what theyre trying to eliminate. For the record, it wasnt even late. The flag was thrown BECAUSE of the head contact. Theres no reason that defender couldnt attack with his head up and his shoulder in the qb's chest. This is not trying to make a play. This was trying to hurt the qb plain and simple. This instance does not need any sort of interpretation of the rule. It's frickin ridiculous. Just watch the play sir, and the slow mo replay. I beg of you. While I agree with you on the zero tolerance for all helmet to helment hits, this particular hit does not fit the criteria. Your stance on this play is incorrect and it's just another example of the assenine inconsistency in enforcing these rules.

All things aside, why the hell was that Minnesota player not ejected? Jesus f'ing christ. If we're gonna make the rules and come up with all these "when in doubt throw the flag" requirements, then that right there shoulda been a text book ejection AND suspension. There's just no room for that sh#t in the game.

Now with that out of the way. I keep seeing the phrase "re-inserting Morris". Unless I'm missing something in the above videos, that's not true and is misleading to the overall situation. He wasnt re-inserted. He just did not come out of the game. That makes it a little less egregious in my opinion. If the player knows he's too hurt to play, he has to say so. But I didnt watch the actual game. Was Morris put back in later on after the recording of the above videos was stopped?

I don't think it warranted ejection and suspension. A flag yes, but come on. It was a sprint out pass so the QB was running and Minnesota player didn't intentionally use his helmet. There has to be some wiggle room for accidents with helmet to helmet hits. It's a fast game and they can't be perfect. Zero tolerance ejections for helmet hits are the second dumbest rule the NCAA has made just behind the "Must be 3 seconds to spike the ball" debacle. Ejections and suspensions are for what Miami was pulling last week, not a defender trying make a play. And furthermore, why is helmet to helmet hits just the burden of the defensive player. RB's lead with the crown of the helmet all the time. The automatic ejection, is why some penalties aren't being called. Zero tolerance = Zero common sense.

Back on point. Michigan needs to remove the AD as well as Hoke. Sounds like our situation from '07. I sincerely hope they get it cleaned up. B1G needs it's power programs to be good.

Dude. He lead with his head and his eyes down and put the crown of his helmet on his chin. This is textbook for what theyre trying to eliminate. For the record, it wasnt even late. The flag was thrown BECAUSE of the head contact. Theres no reason that defender couldnt attack with his head up and his shoulder in the qb's chest. This is not trying to make a play. This was trying to hurt the qb plain and simple. This instance does not need any sort of interpretation of the rule. It's frickin ridiculous. Just watch the play sir, and the slow mo replay. I beg of you. While I agree with you on the zero tolerance for all helmet to helment hits, this particular hit does not fit the criteria. Your stance on this play is incorrect and it's just another example of the assenine inconsistency in enforcing these rules.

Yeah I've seen. Saw it live. Even went and re-watched it for you. It was a bad hit but not intentional. He was trying to lead with his shoulder and missed. He was not trying to injure the QB, a big hit yes, it warranted a flag, but not an ejection. If you want to hurt someone and get them out of the game, attack the knees, especially when the player your trying to hurt already has a leg injury. Jerry Kill's teams are not like that anyways.

With Morris agreeing to release his medical records does anyone think he is out the door too? I have a feeling the new coach will have to be a real smooth talker

Gardner's body language during the game seemed of someone who had already checked out on the season.

At this point what school will touch Hoke?

A smaller school trying to get a name.

Always amazes me how some small schools hire name guys who have never done anything of note as opposed to a good up and coming coach.

See: Skip Holtz, LA Tech

Yeah I've seen. Saw it live. Even went and re-watched it for you. It was a bad hit but not intentional. He was trying to lead with his shoulder and missed. He was not trying to injure the QB, a big hit yes, it warranted a flag, but not an ejection. If you want to hurt someone and get them out of the game, attack the knees, especially when the player your trying to hurt already has a leg injury. Jerry Kill's teams are not like that anyways.

I'll agree it wasnt intentional. In my initial comment I stated pretty clearly that I thought it was, but I'm wrong. I dont really think guys are trying to hurt others most of the time. But regardless, it was still a very wrong hit. The point is not about the players, it's about the enforcement of the rule. When you see guys like Baptiste ejected last year at Purdue even after a review for what he did, and then hits like this go unpunished with more than a flag, or hits like this.....

martinez.gif?w=650

These two instances (involving players of Jerry Kill I might add with a big asterisk) are perfect examples of players with plenty of opportunity to have their eyes up and tackle the guy with their shoulder. But no, they lead with there head and make head to head contact when it was 100% unwarranted. That to me is bullsh#t. One hit had a measly penalty, the other had nothing called, yet this resulted in a penalty and ejection and the ejection was upheld even after review. The hit on Martinez took place one week after the below Baptiste hit.

nebraskatargeting.gif

It's a crock of inconsistent bs. Either enforce the rule or dont.

• Fire 2

This entire issue with Hoke and the QB with a concussion is interesting and strange. If he hasn't lost games, I don't think this is even brought up. Miscommunication with injuries happens in games. There is a ton of stuff going on.

Heck, Bo had no clue Ganze had a concussion in the bowl game his senior year and he still doesn't hardly remember anything about the game. Isn't that pretty close to what Hoke is getting crucified for?

The fact is, Hoke sucks as a coach along with his staff. He will be gone because of that. The injured player issue is just fans wanting to find something to hang him with.

• Fire 2

Heck, Bo had no clue Ganze had a concussion in the bowl game his senior year and he still doesn't hardly remember anything about the game. Isn't that pretty close to what Hoke is getting crucified for?

I think a lot of it has more to do with the current atmosphere. First, there is a lot of news being made about concussions in football and the NFL, NCAA and NFHSS not doing enough to protect players from and prevent concussions in addition to substandard treatment of concussions for football players.

Second, was that the Quarterback showed VERY visible signs of a concussion and was never taken off the field or checked for a concussion. Add to the fact that the entire staff apparently missed obvious signs that the hit could have been a major potentially life threatening injury is just inexcusable.

Coaches and trainers will miss injuries, it happens. But to miss what was VERY obvious tells is what is making this a story. After watching the video there is no way to justify having the QB in after that hit. One could even argue that with him being as badly injured as he was before the hit, he probably should have been pulled long before that.

Difference between Ganz and Morris was that Nebraska actually tested Ganz for a concussion and he passed the test (which is one reason they use much tougher tests now), with Morris they never even had the common sense to test him for it.

I think a lot of it has more to do with the current atmosphere. First, there is a lot of news being made about concussions in football and the NFL, NCAA and NFHSS not doing enough to protect players from and prevent concussions in addition to substandard treatment of concussions for football players.

Second, was that the Quarterback showed VERY visible signs of a concussion and was never taken off the field or checked for a concussion. Add to the fact that the entire staff apparently missed obvious signs that the hit could have been a major potentially life threatening injury is just inexcusable.

Coaches and trainers will miss injuries, it happens. But to miss what was VERY obvious tells is what is making this a story. After watching the video there is no way to justify having the QB in after that hit. One could even argue that with him being as badly injured as he was before the hit, he probably should have been pulled long before that.

Difference between Ganz and Morris was that Nebraska actually tested Ganz for a concussion and he passed the test (which is one reason they use much tougher tests now), with Morris they never even had the common sense to test him for it.

To add to this with regards to Bo and Ganz-Even back then, there weren't the same measures to ensure safety as there are now. Before, a coach could claim ignorance. Now they are expected and maybe even required to know what is going on with head injuries.

Not to qualify what Bo did. Just different protocol's between then and now. Good, bad, or indifferent

yeah, but let us not pretend this is about the injury. this is about getting rid of hoke and having a way to do it without the veneer of sympathy.

a 1am press release? basically apologizing for your head coach? uffda. they are on the phone with replacements right now. or with nussmeier.

Exactly. It's, as with EVERYTHING, about the W and L. If Michingan wins 30-14 saturday, this is not even a story.

With that said, I'm not even sure yet that Hoke is on the plane to Rutgers Friday. And if he is and they lose embarrassingly, I would bet he gets Kiffined.

It's just a complete severed relationship. The fans have checked out. A talented team appears to have checked out. Now even the admin is apologizing and questioning him publicly at 3 am. Stories of endangering players do to complete ignorance. It goes on and on. And I'd bet pretty heavy that a buyout is the only reason Hoke himself has not simply walked away.