Big 10 Defense - Overall

P022z1G.png?1

Big 10 Defense - FBS Only

jSZM3YO.png?1

Big Ten Offense - Overall

Gfeqc7l.png?1

Big Ten Offense - FBS only

kjiuBXN.png?1

You take that FCS game away, and there's a 26 yard gap between defensive yards allowed MSU vs. NU.

At the same time, they average 20 less YPG offensively outside of that FCS beatdown. They laid about 600 of their total yards (or roughly 30% of their season output) on that perennial powerhouse, Jacksonville State.

Awful lot of excuses being made for Sparty as to why they lost to Oregon around here...

Because we watched the game. How many times has nebraska beaten a team by a decent score in the end but it was a dog fight. Remember KSU's garbage TD in 98 after the ref ignored the facemask? That game should have ended a 3 point game. Instead it looked like they handled things fine with that two score win.

I kid you not. At one point in that 2nd quarter I just thought "wow michigan state looks better than last year." The oregon crowd was shocked and MSU had all the momentum as they just started to add scores. I mean they scored more points in the second quarter than oregon did all half. I have to give credit to oregon's coaching staff. They adjusted at the half. That 3rd quarter started to swing in oregon's direction. Play that game in East Lansing and it's probably a single score victory for either team. I believe MSU could beat them at home maybe 3 or 4 times out of 10. MSU is still the team to beat right now. We would get trounced by Oregon. Game over at the half trounced. Oregon is just so potent on offense...

I really do not think Oregon is quite as strong as some are thinking. Tremendous advantage playing there. Supposedly the loudest stadium in the country. I know they have a lot of hurt Olineman right now. If they do not get healthy, they are going to get beaten by Stanford I think.

Michigan State is the best team we play this year it appears. But Bo seems to have their number. I know we lost last year, some blame it on turnovers, but the other team has some affect on that. We will need to play the best game so far this season to win at their house. Bo needs to stay under control no matter the situation. When he goes off, it seems to affect the staff as much as the kids and that is not good.

I think he has made tremendous strides in anger management, and I think that is the reason for the solid play against Miami.

We have a good chance against Michigan State, if we play a good game and happen to come up short that is what was supposed to happen. We have seen growth so far this year, and that for me is very encouraging.

I personally think we pull this one out in the end. My guess is we are going to need the week off after it, as I expect a very physical game on both sides.

Here's some quick and dirty numbers.

Big 10 Defense - Overall

P022z1G.png?1

jSZM3YO.png?1

Gfeqc7l.png?1

kjiuBXN.png?1

You take that FCS game away, and there's a 26 yard gap between defensive yards allowed MSU vs. NU.

At the same time, they average 20 less YPG offensively outside of that FCS beatdown. They laid about 600 of their total yards (or roughly 30% of their season output) on that perennial powerhouse, Jacksonville State.

Awful lot of excuses being made for Sparty as to why they lost to Oregon around here...

Because we watched the game. How many times has nebraska beaten a team by a decent score in the end but it was a dog fight. Remember KSU's garbage TD in 98 after the ref ignored the facemask? That game should have ended a 3 point game. Instead it looked like they handled things fine with that two score win.

I kid you not. At one point in that 2nd quarter I just thought "wow michigan state looks better than last year." The oregon crowd was shocked and MSU had all the momentum as they just started to add scores. I mean they scored more points in the second quarter than oregon did all half. I have to give credit to oregon's coaching staff. They adjusted at the half. That 3rd quarter started to swing in oregon's direction. Play that game in East Lansing and it's probably a single score victory for either team. I believe MSU could beat them at home maybe 3 or 4 times out of 10. MSU is still the team to beat right now. We would get trounced by Oregon. Game over at the half trounced. Oregon is just so potent on offense...

Err.....

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=400548267

• Fire 1

Big 10 Defense - Overall

P022z1G.png?1

jSZM3YO.png?1

Gfeqc7l.png?1

kjiuBXN.png?1

Err.....

Er.... should I link you to the Nebraska McNeese state game? Any team can play down to their competition or have an off day. Oregon would wax us 9 times out of 10.

• Fire 1

Oregon is just so potent on offense...

.....this just in......Nebraska ain't half bad on offense themselves.

Yeah but our offense doesn't stop their offense. We play uptempo too which actually helps them. It's our defense that Oregon would rip apart...at least in week 2 when that game was played...

Yeah but their offense doesn't stop our offense. You might check where Nebraska ranks defensively versus where Oregon does.

Big 10 Defense - Overall

P022z1G.png?1

jSZM3YO.png?1

Gfeqc7l.png?1

kjiuBXN.png?1

Err.....

Er.... should I link you to the Nebraska McNeese state game? Any team can play down to their competition or have an off day. Oregon would wax us 9 times out of 10.

You mean like how Oregon has been abused by Stanford, or gotten trounced by Arizona, or scored one offensive TD against Texas last year?

We'll see. Oregon's offense still chokes against most good defenses.

Regardless, Oregon doesn't have much to do with our game vs MSU. Sparty has played a worse schedule than us, and our offense is closer to Auburn's style than Oregon. Plus, Oregon's defense sucks.

I'm not worried about Michigan State in the slightest. I'm worried about Nebraska pissing down its leg.

• Fire 2

MSU has earned a lot of respect with their play. They're consistent, and they've been pretty effective this year (and last). Conner Cook has turned into a very good QB, and Dantonio always finds good players and turns them into a great team.

But NU is good, too. We have All-Americans on both sides of the ball, and All-Conference players sprinkled throughout. More than MSU, I would argue. MSU doesn't have an Abdullah. They don't have a Gregory. For what it's worth, I'd take our O-line and D-lines over theirs too. Lippet has been great, but so are Bell and Westerkamp. Maybe no player is more improved over last year than Armstrong.

The other games this year matter, of course, but nobody really knows how yet. Nothing is written in stone. Either one of these teams can rise up and beat the other. That's what makes college football so great. It will be the team that has been preparing the best and the team that makes plays in the game who wins.

I like the way NU has been playing this year, other than the McNeese game. Abdullah and Armstrong, in particular, seem to be on a mission. Everybody seems to be more locked-in. I like our chances to win. But either way, I don't see a collapse coming. Worst-case scenario is we get another crack at them in the CCG.

There is a strange divide of attitudes amongst us for this game. Plenty of cynics who've been burned in the past and think MSU is just too salty a team that will roll us. Some riding the fence in the middle that could honestly see it going either way depending on which NU shows up.

Good to know there are those amongst us that share my unbridled enthusiasm about this matchup. Good to know you're on my side Saunders.

If we get out of our own way (a very big if for this team historically but they've been terrific at it this season) and our defense comes out on point, we match up very well with this team and have as good a shot at the upset as anybody.

They'll get there's on the ground, but our entire DL has been outstanding this year. McMullen and the DTs don't get RG's pub but we all know how good they are. They've been stout in run support so far. LB play will be crucial to containing their ground game. I am quite scared of linebackers filling the wrong gaps in run support. We've seen it before and we all know that's how huge runs happen. However, the secondary has been terrific as well.

I trust Bo will get creative with the blitzes he uses to rattle Cook. I think we'll see em early and often, as it has worked against this team in the past.

Our offense could have a field day on their D if we pick up where we left off.