Are Armstrong's completions enough?

Ball security and not forcing plays on offense will win us the Michigan game on offense.

Finding a way to cover short crossing routes and pressuring the quarterback will win us the game on defense.

We are rock solid everywhere else, as far as I can see.

We are on the same page with that. I fully expect Michigan St. to exploit the matchups with those underneath crossing routes. Why every other team we've played hasn't just gone to the well with this I don't know. I expect Michigan St. coaches to be smarter than most and Cook can hit those easy routes all day.

Two fellers who hate Tommy both with the word Hunter in their username. Hmmm..

Who hates Tommy? Tommy seems like a great kid, i like him. I root for him cuz he's our QB.

He just isn't great. Hes an almost average, somewhat serviceable QB, doesn't mean he isn't likable.

You've already openly admitted you're trolling in response to people being critical of Pelini and Martinez. I don't think many people are going to buy this schtick.
  • Fire 2

Who hates Tommy? Tommy seems like a great kid, i like him. I root for him cuz he's our QB.

He just isn't great. Hes an almost average, somewhat serviceable QB, doesn't mean he isn't likable.

Almost average? Not saying he's Peyton but you're funny. Taking everything required of a qb into account (leadership, play-making, decision making, rushing, deep, intermediate, and short throws amongst many more qualities) I would say he is a top level QB in the country. Don't judge a qb based on one facet of his game (this instance it is the short to intermediate throws). There's a lot more to it than just that.

All of this is nice, but next week, those 7, 8, or 20 yard runs aren't going to be there. WRs aren't going to be wide open 40 yards downfield very often, and picks won't be dropped.

A sub 50% passing performance and splitting defenders' numbers won't cut it when the defense is keying on Ameer and forcing Tommy to beat them.

From subject to subject, you are the most negative poster on this form. Are you trolling?
Just keeping it real, brah.

Things aren't all lollipops, rainbows, and unicorns.

And a 50% completion ratio isn't Armaggedon.

but an average of 50% or less WILL eventually catch up with you!

I'll be sure to call you when it does.

All of this is nice, but next week, those 7, 8, or 20 yard runs aren't going to be there.

They have been against MSU the past 2 years. Why won't they be there this year? Keep in mind our offense has been putting up better numbers than the last 2 years, and MSU's defense isn't putting up the same numbers it was last year.

You've already openly admitted you're trolling in response to people being critical of Pelini and Martinez. I don't think many people are going to buy this schtick.
I'm not trolling a bit. I'm just using the same criteria that we used the past few years to judge QB play. And you weren't watching the game with me Saturday, while i was cheering him on.

And this had little to do with Pelini, other than some demand championships this year, even tough we have below average play from the QB position

All of this is nice, but next week, those 7, 8, or 20 yard runs aren't going to be there.

They have been against MSU the past 2 years. Why won't they be there this year? Keep in mind our offense has been putting up better numbers than the last 2 years, and MSU's defense isn't putting up the same numbers it was last year.

Were they there last year, because i don't remember him averaging 7,5 yards per tote against MSU last year.

I'm not trolling a bit. I'm just using the same criteria that we used the past few years to judge QB play.

Can you explain your criteria?
Easy, apparently a guy that completed 62-63% of his passes is a horrible qb, yet a guy that completes 52-53% is excellent in all areas.

For about 3.3 years, a guy that had ball security issues was horrible, but a guy that has similar ball security issues has "avoided turnovers,"

For 3.3 years, a guy that had defensive coordinators shaking in their boots sucked, but a guy that defensive coordinators ignore is totes choice.

I guess that sounding better in interviews really is a big deal.

Is Michigan States defense better or even as good as last year? I don't think so. No doubt they are a good defense, well coached, but if iirc, and I think I do, we gashed them pretty good last year in the run game including a 40 or 50+ yarder to the house by Imani Cross in the 3rd qtr. No reason we shouldn't be able to do the same this year with what arguably is an even more potent rushing attack. (Don't know how to attach previous quotes yet and don't care to take the time at the moment, but this is in reply to those who believe the 6,7,8 yard gashes will not be there.) We take care of the ball and the defense steps up we could roll. Expect it to be one hell of a game though.

IMO the MSU defense is worse, and our offense is better. Injuries on our defense worry me.

If with the injuries that we've had I feel just from watching the games so far this year that our defense has improved, our d-line play definitely has. The attitude and possibly most hated word around "swagger" on both sides of the ball has improved greatly from last year to now. Tommy is getting better every game with his reads and his throws. That deep ball he threw to Bell was one of the best looking balls I've seen for a long time...... Saturday is going to be something we've been waiting to see for a long time

For about 3.3 years, a guy that had ball security issues was horrible, but a guy that has similar ball security issues has "avoided turnovers,"

Turnovers were absolutely a key nemesis for us during the Martinez years. Now if you're saying Armstrong had "similar" issues last season, I'd agree. But this is 2014.

• Fire 1

Turnovers were absolutely a key nemesis for us during the Martinez years. Now if you're saying Armstrong had "similar" issues last season, I'd agree. But this is 2014.
Yet Tommy still stares down receivers and hits defenders right in the hands.

I'm not making this up. It happens, too much in fact.

I know I'm not the only one who's seen it.

• Fire 1

I'm not trolling a bit. I'm just using the same criteria that we used the past few years to judge QB play.

Can you explain your criteria?
Easy, apparently a guy that completed 62-63% of his passes is a horrible qb, yet a guy that completes 52-53% is excellent in all areas.

For 3.3 years, a guy that has defensive coordinators shaking in their boots sucked, but a guy that defensive coordinators ignore is totes choice.

I guess that sounding better in interviews really is a big deal.

We'll see by the end of the year if Tommy has similar ball security issues, my bet is the difference is night and day for both fumbles and interceptions. I'm talking about this year, last year is history and Tommy was raw as they come.

Taylor wasn't the same home run threat after his injury although he still could take it to the house when he was fairly healthy and defensive coordinators had to consider and game plan for the threat. I think they were more like licking their chops knowing he would give them a few, and fwiw, I liked Taylor M. Hated the give aways, but I believe Tommy is a much better field general and may prove to be one of the better ones to grace Memorial Stadium when all is said and done. Time will tell all things.