Are Armstrong's completions enough?

I was never too concerned with Taylor's interceptions. That's just part of the risk/reward of throwing the ball. It happens, even to the best QBs out there. His fumbles were the issue. He fumbled an abnormal amount. Which put him under a bigger microscope every time he did throw a pick.

This reared its ugly head up looking through the play-by-plays of past games while counting interceptions.

Through his first five games in 2010, Taylor accounted for 2 additional fumbles we recovered.

Through first five of 2011, he upped that number to a ridiculous 7 through five games.

From what I recall, this trend continued.

MO, I'm using different numbers than Landlord when I'm finding my turnover numbers, so I don't know who is right. Nonetheless...

Last year, we had 7 turnovers through 5 games last year.

Of those, 2/7 were on the QB through five games. Both of them were on Taylor. A pick and a fumble in the first game against Wyoming.

He only played in 3 of those games. Tommy played in SDSU and Illinois games, and didn't account for a turnover.

If you include Taylor's only other game of the season, Minny, 3 of our 6 turnovers were on him, as he through a pick in that game.

So, Taylor's 4 2013 games: 3/6 turnovers on QB

For comparison:

Tommy's First 5 2014 games: 6/12 on Tommy, 7/12 on QBs (1 RKIII pick)

Taylor 2010 First 5 games: 5/10 on Taylor, 6/10 on QBs (1 Cody Green fumble)

Taylor's 2011 First 5 games: 5/9 on Taylor, 6/9 on QBs (1 Brion Carnes fumbles)

What really matters:

2013 first five games: 2/7 on QB

2013 first five Tommy: 6/12 on TA, 7/12 on QBs

2014 first five games: 4/5 on TA

So, in conclusion, I'd say you have a legitimate beef, but overall we've reduced our turnover margin substantially, and TA appears to be slowing his rate of turnovers as well, albeit gradually. 6 turnovers in his third thru fifth games last year. I'll take reducing that clip to 1 per game and having some games with zero. I think he's progressing.

I don't know if anyone knows, but what is the average rate of TO's per game for P5 conference qb?

we all need to stop bringing up taylor and we should really stop trying to sell tommy short for whatever reason people feel compelled to do so. why are so many people trying to cut tommy down? because people like him? and other people think liking a new qb is some sort of referendum on a previous qb?

Yeah, it's a QB thang. When we talk about how the defense has improved because of guys like Gregory, McMullen, Gerry, ect. nobody gets upset and comes running to the rescue of former players. When we talk about about how the offense has improved with Tommy as the trigger man, not only is the butthurt staggering, but people go to great lengths to minimize his impact.
  • Fire 3

I never felt Joe Dailey got a fair shake

actually in all reality he didnt. Callahan shoulda kept our option offense for a year.

What's your thoughts on Gerry Gdowski and the perception that white qb's cant be athletic?

My comments about Dailey were serious.

I only care about a Qb's athleticism, regardless of color, if it's needed to win a game

actually in all reality he didnt. Callahan shoulda kept our option offense for a year.

What's your thoughts on Gerry Gdowski and the perception that white qb's cant be athletic?

I only care about a Qb's athleticism, regardless of color, if it's needed to win a game

So was mine. Daily really didnt. He was brought in to run an option, and what seemed like Solich was headed to, a spread option look. He was not a pocket style, west coast qb. He may have been really REALLY good had Solich been retained.

As far as Gdowski goes, yeah, that was was joke.

So was mine. Daily really didnt. He was brought in to run an option, and what seemed like Solich was headed to, a spread option look. He was not a pocket style, west coast qb. He may have been really REALLY good had Solich been retained.

I knew you were serious about your Dailey comments. Just wasn't sure you knew if I was or not. That's the problem with coaches. They all fall under the square peg-round hole syndrome because of their ego's.

Hmmm...Well, if I remember correctly, Joe was given the option to play the last year Solich was here and he said no. Is my memory wrong?

if that is true, I think he was given the chance to prove himself.

Hmmm...Well, if I remember correctly, Joe was given the option to play the last year Solich was here and he said no. Is my memory wrong?

No. Youre thinking of Curt Dukes. Curt Dukes was given an opportunity to compete for a starting job in '03? I think? after the bad year in '02. But declined to redshirt. We never heard from him again.

In 03 Daily was subbed in a couple early games late and threw a couple garbage time TD's and was promptly annointed the savior.

No. Youre thinking of Curt Dukes. Curt Dukes was given an opportunity to compete for a starting job in '03? I think? after the bad year in '02. But declined to redshirt. We never heard from him again.

In 03 Daily was subbed in a couple early games late and threw a couple garbage time TD's and was promptly annointed the savior.

Ahhhh....you are correct.

• Fire 1

I'm hopeful for the MSU game but if our run game isn't there I have little faith in our ability to move the ball at all. We'll have to hope our D holds them to 17 or less, imo.

Yeah. Would make sense for them to gang up on Ameer and put the game on Tommy's arm. However, even if TA isn't on target at times periodically, he can still make some quality plays scrambling and running the ball. I think TA could have a good day as long as he plays smart. Moving the chains running, make some nice throws, remain confident, poised, focused, and look to other players to step up and make plays when they are there. He doesn't have to do it all by himself. He doesn't even have to be perfect. And if he can make several good runs, it might even free up the grip on Ameer to have some impactful gains. If that makes sense.

I think that was Curt Dukes