Is this the biggest game of the Pelini era?

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Based solely on the nuclear meltdown that would ensue no matter when we lose, every game we play is Bos most important one. So I voted bacon!

i kind of had the same thought. i mean, when will we get over the hump? if we win this game, the next game will be the most important to prove that we can avoid a let down after a big win. the next few will be to prove consistency. then wiscy, which would be big for the division. and iowa to finish out strong. at this point in his tenure, with no hardware and baffling losses (for various reasons) every season, every game is big.

It comes down to each persons perception of what is realistic to ask from a team and coach. People like to think they can separate disappointment in losing from disappointment in coaches and the team when the lose. Sometimes a loss to a better team happens. Instead of chalking it up to pure facts of the situation, we as fans start asking the wrong questions and draw the wrong conclusions. Our problem, Bos problem has obviously been the way he loses some of these "biggest game of his career" games. Blowouts don't provide anything to be confident about and when the lights are the brightest, we seem to let things snowball and get away. Losing as fear is a decent enough of a motivator, but when these games come up, the temperature of the public always seems to involve Bo and the hotseat and sometimes I think he coaches like it. I think its unfair, and I think the only thing we are owed from any team is a disciplined effort from coaches and players sprinkled in with the showing of improvement from week to week. I know it hasn't been brought up yet since we haven't lost but I truly believe these players love these coaches. I think they take losing for this staff hard. I think Bo takes it hard when the team loses, he truly feels like he lets these guys down. All that aside, Bo doesn't have forever to get it right here. But lets be realistic about our expectations for the guy. We could always be Michigan.

i just meant that every game needs to be placed in context. if we lose to msu, but win out. i would be pretty happy. if we beat msu and still manage four losses, well that would be bad.

i guess i just meant it will be hard to say what this game means until at least the end of the regular season.

Based solely on the nuclear meltdown that would ensue no matter when we lose, every game we play is Bos most important one. So I voted bacon!

i kind of had the same thought. i mean, when will we get over the hump? if we win this game, the next game will be the most important to prove that we can avoid a let down after a big win. the next few will be to prove consistency. then wiscy, which would be big for the division. and iowa to finish out strong. at this point in his tenure, with no hardware and baffling losses (for various reasons) every season, every game is big.

It comes down to each persons perception of what is realistic to ask from a team and coach. People like to think they can separate disappointment in losing from disappointment in coaches and the team when the lose. Sometimes a loss to a better team happens. Instead of chalking it up to pure facts of the situation, we as fans start asking the wrong questions and draw the wrong conclusions. Our problem, Bos problem has obviously been the way he loses some of these "biggest game of his career" games. Blowouts don't provide anything to be confident about and when the lights are the brightest, we seem to let things snowball and get away. Losing as fear is a decent enough of a motivator, but when these games come up, the temperature of the public always seems to involve Bo and the hotseat and sometimes I think he coaches like it. I think its unfair, and I think the only thing we are owed from any team is a disciplined effort from coaches and players sprinkled in with the showing of improvement from week to week. I know it hasn't been brought up yet since we haven't lost but I truly believe these players love these coaches. I think they take losing for this staff hard. I think Bo takes it hard when the team loses, he truly feels like he lets these guys down. All that aside, Bo doesn't have forever to get it right here. But lets be realistic about our expectations for the guy. We could always be Michigan.

i just meant that every game needs to be placed in context. if we lose to msu, but win out. i would be pretty happy. if we beat msu and still manage four losses, well that would be bad.

i guess i just meant it will be hard to say what this game means until at least the end of the regular season.

yeah I wasn't lumping your response in with mine. Just clearing my mind. No post or poster was in my sights. Especially one with an apostrophe pointed at my head.

yeah I wasn't lumping your response in with mine. Just clearing my mind. No post or poster was in my sights. Especially one with an apostrophe pointed at my head.

i liked your post. i just believed mine needed clarification.

I dont think the importance will be known until the season is over. If we lose and go 9-4 this game will be seen as just another epic fail that again axed any momentum the program. If we win and go 10-4, itll just be a meh forgotten bright spot in another 4 loss campaign at which point would have to provide some pretty glaring head scratching moments. And then theres the obvious great outcomes from a win or loss. Sometimes a very competitive loss in a game like this can generate s huge amount of resolve and anger a perserverance. See 1993 and 1999.

Any of the conference championship games would be bigger in my book.

goodness, i did not even think of that. the 2010 was a big on because it was against a historic rival and we could have left that conference with their trophy.

2012 was big because it was ripe for the taking. a hand wrapped gift to end our unseemly drought.

i guess i was thinking in terms of must win. we do not have to win this game to have a great season. but it would go a long way to change how this program is perceived.

We did leave with OUR trophy. See below.

And you guys are mad if you think this game isnt as important as the ones in the past. Theres still alot of season left and there could be lots of fallout in the top 10. In order to make the playoffs we need to be at least in the top 10 by next week. This might not be the most important game in the pelini era but it is the most important one right now. And we arent making the playoffs with 1 loss, no way no how. We arent iowa who just play to go to the rose bowl, were frigging nebraska and we play for the national championship. Every game is important but this one brings us closer to achieving the ultimate goal. Winning the big games gets us more coverage which leads to all sorts of good things. We win this one and we get a nice week off to rest the injured. This game isnt more important than the others, your foolish to think so.

• Fire 2

I was thinking this earlier today, and here's my rationale:

I think this could be considered Bo's biggest game for a few reasons. It's true that this doesn't directly affect our championship hopes, so the tangible stakes could make it bigger, but this is a very specific type of big game for us.

Since arriving in Lincoln, Bo's teams have struggled in two ways more than any others - staying consistently motivated against lesser opponents, and getting up for big games on the brightest stage.

The last three years have exposed a lot of leaks that I think Bo has done an admirable job of recognizing and growing from - I don't think for a second this program is in the same place it was entering 2011. But we continued to see some of the same trends. This season, however, has the pieces in place, including the irony of Bo's two biggest obstacles in consecutive weeks. The team came out amped but under control to handle Miami, then came out with consistent motivation against inferior Illinois, and now is poised for the biggest game of the year against the best team on the schedule and the hardest regular season game we've had in several years.

If they are up to the task and come out with a victory, it will be Bo's biggest game without question because it will be his greatest triumph. If they don't, then who knows.