Can Spartans stop Huskers run game?

MSU is a very good team and I don't expect the Huskers will run over them at will. I think we will have a hard fight in the line play and we will be successful running- probably shorter yardage per play and it will try Tim Beck's patience. MSU expects us to run and will tweak their defense with crowding the box. The temptation for us will be to pass. I expect we will face some 3rd & Longs because our run game will develop slowly.

I do hope to see some power running and maybe more option football from Tim Beck. But I think we will have to throw more to make sure MSU does not crowd the box too often to stop Ameer.

BTW, I would love to see some power I with Ameer and Imani in the backfield together. Some triple option with Armstrong would be great to see also. We have some great backfield players who can run but also with 'receivers and QB that could make the play action pass devastating.

I really think we will win or lose solely based upon how well the Blackshirts play. If the Pinkshirts show up, it will be long day.

If they load it up and keep bringing people off of the edge, would be a good time to use the diamond formation and hit the edge with a lead blocker. Attention to detail will be a significant factor in this game and they usually have a very disciplined unit. I just hope we do to, from the top down.

If they are loading up and bringing people off the edge, you wouldn't direct your run game toward the edge. We will run it right behind our guards, right up the gut with Ameer, Imani, Newby and Tommy like we have been all year.

Either way, I think they will mix it up quite a bit to try to keep us guessing. It will be more about making the right reads off that jet sweep and a few times even getting lucky and catching them in the wrong spots. You won't always be perfect running a read option, with everything happening so quickly, but when you catch them out of position, you make them pay for it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some play action passing from Tommy. I think Michigan State is going to bank on stopping Ameer and making Tommy beat them. I think Tommy can make enough plays to do so at this point. It may not be perfect, but what we get will be big just as it has been.

Of course, MSU may not have any success stopping Ameer and in that case, run, run, run and play defense.

What did Bo say about running against their D? Are we talking about his comments eleven months ago?

He said something to the effect that we had run on them before and we will do it again. Pretty mild stuff along with what TA said at the PC.

Kind of funny though on 1620 this morning Sharp and Benning had some reporter or something from Michigan on the show. He was trying real hard to turn BP and TA's comments into some major league bulletin board material. They really weren't buying it and neither was I. Both comments were pretty tame IMO.

The key IMO to winning this game is NU's defense. They need to shut down the run. If NU can have early success stuffing the run I think their OC will abandon it quickly. His thinking will be that I have this great QB and these great receivers I'll just throw the ball and win the game.

Offensively I think NU can run on them. They need to be able to throw sum to keep them honest. I expect to see some WR screens early to stretch MSU's defense across the field. I have never been a big fan of the WR screens for NU because they were not very good at it, but they have gotten a lot better this year. Also expect to see a reappearance of the shovel pass. All safe high percentage things to get TA some early confidence.

If they load it up and keep bringing people off of the edge, would be a good time to use the diamond formation and hit the edge with a lead blocker. Attention to detail will be a significant factor in this game and they usually have a very disciplined unit. I just hope we do to, from the top down.

If they are loading up and bringing people off the edge, you wouldn't direct your run game toward the edge. We will run it right behind our guards, right up the gut with Ameer, Imani, Newby and Tommy like we have been all year.

Either way, I think they will mix it up quite a bit to try to keep us guessing. It will be more about making the right reads off that jet sweep and a few times even getting lucky and catching them in the wrong spots. You won't always be perfect running a read option, with everything happening so quickly, but when you catch them out of position, you make them pay for it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some play action passing from Tommy. I think Michigan State is going to bank on stopping Ameer and making Tommy beat them. I think Tommy can make enough plays to do so at this point. It may not be perfect, but what we get will be big just as it has been.

Of course, MSU may not have any success stopping Ameer and in that case, run, run, run and play defense.

Uh yeah should have clarified, I am saying hit the edge with a lead blocker. The back has to hit the hole that's open. The diamond formation just gives us the opportunity to have the right angle to take the safety or LB off the edge. also play action out of that with a quick pop or slant pass would work as well.

"Stopping our run" probably isn't going to be msu's goal.

It's more than a little ridiculous to think that Ameer and Cross are going to be stopped for, say 58 yds each. Especially if Nebraska comes out committed to running. Ameer and Imani will get their yards. They're too good not to.

Now, when the field gets short, it may very well come down to Tommy getting the ball into the endzone via the ol' forward pass. And it will probably mean the difference between touchdowns and field goals.

What did Bo say about running against their D? Are we talking about his comments eleven months ago?

Yes, it's not something that is just coming up from a recent interview from what I've read. That was right after the game for crying out loud..........

Yep stand corrected, sorry all. I had a brain fart.

Anyway, MSU D coaches are using that as a motivation of what was said last year.

October 2, 2014 on Mlive.com

"I'm just now hearing that,'' Calhoun said with a smile. "You know what? We're not focused on how confident people are, because we're just as confident.''

"This is the next game, we're going to take everything personal,'' Burton said. "This is a guy (Pelini) who has had great running offenses every year, you can go back and check the stats. That's our job (to stop the run), so yes, take it personal.''

Edited by NebraskaShellback

It's more than a little ridiculous to think that Ameer and Cross are going to be stopped for, say 58 yds each. Especially if Nebraska comes out committed to running. Ameer and Imani will get their yards. They're too good not to.

Now, when the field gets short, it may very well come down to Tommy getting the ball into the endzone via the ol' forward pass. And it will probably mean the difference between touchdowns and field goals.

Because short field = stop running the ball. got ya.

KIND OF.

LIKE, THIS WORKED PRETTY WELL AGAINST A DEFENSE ON SHORT FIELD:

• Fire 2

KIND OF.

LIKE, THIS WORKED PRETTY WELL AGAINST A DEFENSE ON SHORT FIELD:

WOW. THAT GOT ME SUPER PUMPED UP FOR TOMORROW. FORGOT WE WON ON A LAST MINUTE HEAVE.

WATCHING TMART ON THE THROW MAKES ME DIZZY THOUGH. I WONDER IF HE CONTINUED AFTER THE CAMERA PANNED TO TURNER AND JUST FELL ON HIS HEAD.

I THINK THE RUN PASS OPTION MAY BE A VERY VIABLE OPTION NEAR THE GOAL LINE IF KB OR WESTY CAN MAKE ONE MAN MISS.

Whether they can stop the run or not will be answered short enough. I am optimistic about tomorrow's outcome. First of all, we've played Michigan State as consistent and as tough as any other team since we've joined the B1G even though they may have been better than us. Second, our team got quite a bit of swagger back that we've been missing for years from the Miami game. This is probably the best team Bo has had since becoming our coach. We definitely have the best OL since Bo's been here. I'm not saying a victory will be easy, but from where I sit it appears a loss will only occur if we beat ourselves via penalties and turnovers.

• Fire 3

Meaning they'll bow up and stop the run and there will be some panicked fade routes called.

I'm pretty optimistic about our running game in this one. Their M.O. so far this year has been to get a lead, bait the other team into getting pass happy and capitalizing with picks and tons of sacks. Strip the sacks out of the rushing statistic, and they're giving up 4.5 yards a carry on the ground. A greatly diminished Oregon managed almost that with 3 sacks included in their final box score. This, by all accounts, is a substantially worse Spartan defense going up against a much improved Husker rushing attack vs a year ago (having intact offensive linemen is very helpful).

That doesn't mean I don't have concerns about the game as a whole - I have several - but I think we're going to be ok moving the ball on the ground.