For the past 5 years...

BIG ERN

This is what I was getting at in another post. AS I have stated many times. It is not about winning or losing, it is how we play, who we play and how respected we are for our performance.

Last night was a loss, but listening to Herbie and Fowler, I think a lot of respect was gained, and it shows again in the polls. We did not play a great game, but we did perform about where most expected us to, but only in the 4th quarter. Too much attention given to less than stellar opponents in the out of conference schedule. We need to stop that crap for sure. Warm up games need to be developing our kids, not giving them the idea we will walk through the other team. Michigan State was much tougher than Nebraska for the first three quarters. Thanks to Oregon is my guess. And all the upsets yesterday did not help us either.

I am proud of the kids, not so much the coaching staff. I think they overcome some very poor coaching/play calling. But man this team loves their coaches, no question.

I am glad we showed a pulse at the end, but some of that praise from Herbie and Fowler was induced by the shock of how badly they had just watched us get beaten in every facet of the game for 3 quarters (should clarify I mean offensively here). One of the most memorable plays we had on offense was Cotton falling over for goodness sakes.

I'm not sure how much respect we really garnered after that game. To me, it didn't change anything really. We continue to be perceived as a team that can't win the big game, succumbs to pressure on big stages, struggles offensively, and is generally irrelevant on the national stage, perfectly content to languish as a barely ranked team. I'm not saying that only winning generates respect, there are honorable ways to play and there are honorable ways to run a program... but I don't think our performance this past week generated a lot of respect. I would have had a lot more respect for us had we played like that for four quarters rather than just one.

You worry too much about what the rest of the country thinks. Guess what the rest of the country really isn't that worried about Nebraska or whoever, they aren't a fan. Talked to 2 of 3 guys that work for me this morning. One is an Oregon St. fan the other is a BSU fan. Guess what they didn't watch the game, because they didn't care it wasn't their team playing. One said it must have been a close game from the looks of the score. That's what the majority of the country sees. A close game because it was a close score.

Everyone around the country is not obsessed with what Nebraska is doing. You think Alabama, UCLA, OU, A&M, Oregon and BYU fans are worried about Nebraska? How about the 3 loss S. Carolina fans or the LSU fans or the world?

The only teams that are really relevant at the end of the year will be the 4 that make the playoffs.

If we would have won on Saturday night, we would have become a lot more relevant, a lot more respected and the country would have actually cared about us. We would have catapulted into the top 10, generated hype for Ameer, and received way more attention from media. Suddenly, those fans from the competitive schools you mention above would be made aware of our existence. But, right now, you're right. Nobody outside of NE and a few in the B1G give two sh!ts.

Anyway, my real point is just that a win would have made us the benefactors of a lot more respect than some passing comments about how much "heart" our team has, and how we didn't give up. That's all well and good, but we clearly had the talent to be more competitive in that game - that's the most disappointing thing to me. As Bo said, no moral victories here.

This is what I was getting at in another post. AS I have stated many times. It is not about winning or losing, it is how we play, who we play and how respected we are for our performance.

Last night was a loss, but listening to Herbie and Fowler, I think a lot of respect was gained, and it shows again in the polls. We did not play a great game, but we did perform about where most expected us to, but only in the 4th quarter. Too much attention given to less than stellar opponents in the out of conference schedule. We need to stop that crap for sure. Warm up games need to be developing our kids, not giving them the idea we will walk through the other team. Michigan State was much tougher than Nebraska for the first three quarters. Thanks to Oregon is my guess. And all the upsets yesterday did not help us either.

I am proud of the kids, not so much the coaching staff. I think they overcome some very poor coaching/play calling. But man this team loves their coaches, no question.

I am glad we showed a pulse at the end, but some of that praise from Herbie and Fowler was induced by the shock of how badly they had just watched us get beaten in every facet of the game for 3 quarters (should clarify I mean offensively here). One of the most memorable plays we had on offense was Cotton falling over for goodness sakes.

I'm not sure how much respect we really garnered after that game. To me, it didn't change anything really. We continue to be perceived as a team that can't win the big game, succumbs to pressure on big stages, struggles offensively, and is generally irrelevant on the national stage, perfectly content to languish as a barely ranked team. I'm not saying that only winning generates respect, there are honorable ways to play and there are honorable ways to run a program... but I don't think our performance this past week generated a lot of respect. I would have had a lot more respect for us had we played like that for four quarters rather than just one.

You worry too much about what the rest of the country thinks. Guess what the rest of the country really isn't that worried about Nebraska or whoever, they aren't a fan. Talked to 2 of 3 guys that work for me this morning. One is an Oregon St. fan the other is a BSU fan. Guess what they didn't watch the game, because they didn't care it wasn't their team playing. One said it must have been a close game from the looks of the score. That's what the majority of the country sees. A close game because it was a close score.

Everyone around the country is not obsessed with what Nebraska is doing. You think Alabama, UCLA, OU, A&M, Oregon and BYU fans are worried about Nebraska? How about the 3 loss S. Carolina fans or the LSU fans or the world?

The only teams that are really relevant at the end of the year will be the 4 that make the playoffs.

If we would have won on Saturday night, we would have become a lot more relevant, a lot more respected and the country would have actually cared about us. We would have catapulted into the top 10, generated hype for Ameer, and received way more attention from media. Suddenly, those fans from the competitive schools you mention above would be made aware of our existence. But, right now, you're right. Nobody outside of NE and a few in the B1G give two sh!ts.

Anyway, my real point is just that a win would have made us the benefactors of a lot more respect than some passing comments about how much "heart" our team has, and how we didn't give up. That's all well and good, but we clearly had the talent to be more competitive in that game - that's the most disappointing thing to me. As Bo said, no moral victories here.

This is a solid post.

Of coarse winning would have for a little while. All the media (ESPN) is going to talk about all week is how good Mississippi St. and Ole Miss and how they are now in the top 4 and all that.

No moral victories from the game. MSU wanted it more on defense especially. They were ready to play and dialed into the game. I give them a lot of credit.

One of the red flags before the game that caught my eye was when I read a quote from Bo that said something like "In big games, sometimes it's not as important to play to win as to play not to lose."

I'm sorry, but IMO, there's no better way to lose than to play not to lose. And that's exactly what we played like a majority of the game.

• Fire 1

One of the red flags before the game that caught my eye was when I read a quote from Bo that said something like "In big games, sometimes it's not as important to play to win as to play not to lose."

I'm sorry, but IMO, there's no better way to lose than to play not to lose. And that's exactly what we played like a majority of the game.

Wow. Now that's a quote. Perfect observation.

Well, that's a misquote from Wooden - the most successful college hoops coach of all time. He never said to play not to lose, but that the team that makes a mistake at the end usually loses.

I can't believe some people here are STILL jumping down people's throats when someone says "I think we'll still lose 2-3 more games". It's the same story every year. Everyone says "this is the year! Look at our schedule! We can't possibly lose to X at home or that crappy Y team!" Then we go out and sh#t the bed in at least two games we should win handily. I think this team is incredibly talented and has the potential to win out. Do I expect that? Absolutely not.

Conference title or bust. It's time. Hell, it's past time.

Yes, with our conf being at a low point competitively - it is time. We have 2 all Americans to lead the way. Bo is the key - he doesn't make the plays but he (and assistants) motivates and instructs the players who do. If we make it to the CCG, we'll have to see if Bo & Co can make the adjustments to beat MSU the 2nd time around. What we saw against MSU was an O-line not prepared (resulting in a QB who was overwhelmed ) and an offensive scheme which could not adjust to what MSU was throwing at us. I think the D did well enough - more than well enough for us to win. They gave the O a short field several times. They had 3 lapse situations (long pass, reverse, and long run) but for the most part played well enough to win.

I'd just like to point out that the level headed among us pointed out prior to the Sparty game that a loss was not the end of the world. I was chugging Kool-Aid myself, and as gut-wrenching a loss as that was, we still ahve everything laid out for us.

I'm beginning to think that was just a perfect storm for a loss. The weather, the field, the injuries, Clap-gate... All that crap. It just makes me want a rematch that much more... on a neutral field.