Everybody clap their hands

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11658719

Bo Pelini said Tuesday on the Big Ten coaches' teleconference that he would speak to the league office about the clapping. If done intentionally to disrupt the offensive cadence, Michigan State should have been subject to a dead-ball penalty.

Dantonio said Michigan State employs "different ways" to "move our front," including hand motions and clapping.

"From my perspective," Dantonio said, "we can move our people however we want."

Told of Pelini's intention to discuss the clapping with the Big Ten office, Dantonio suggested that Nebraska's center ought to look at the quarterback instead of relying on him to call for the football.

Qmany started it in his update, figured I'd make a thread. The snaps did seem like something was off on Saturday, I'd give little Pelini a break if they were f'ing with him.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11658719

Bo Pelini said Tuesday on the Big Ten coaches' teleconference that he would speak to the league office about the clapping. If done intentionally to disrupt the offensive cadence, Michigan State should have been subject to a dead-ball penalty.

Dantonio said Michigan State employs "different ways" to "move our front," including hand motions and clapping.

"From my perspective," Dantonio said, "we can move our people however we want."

Told of Pelini's intention to discuss the clapping with the Big Ten office, Dantonio suggested that Nebraska's center ought to look at the quarterback instead of relying on him to call for the football.

Qmany started it in his update, figured I'd make a thread. The snaps did seem like something was off on Saturday, I'd give little Pelini a break if they were f'ing with him.

Dantonio's reply is so douchey. If the MSU defenders were clapping while we were set, they should have been penalized for simulating the snap count. The miscues with the snap make a lot more sense now.

I don't really understand what the B1G office can do about it after the fact though.

Dantonio's reply is so douchey. If the MSU defenders were clapping while we were set, they should have been penalized for simulating the snap count. The miscues with the snap make a lot more sense now.

I don't really understand what the B1G office can do about it after the fact though.

How else should he reply? That's exactly how I'd expect Pelini to respond as well. You can't cry about getting distracted by clapping in a stadium full of 80,000 people clapping and not get called out.

That's some gamesmanship from MSU. Dantonio's right that they can use whatever signals they want to set their defense, but we all know what's going on here.

On that note, why don't we do the snap count a different way? I always thought our QBs clapping looked odd, and don't see too many other teams doing it. We could have a verbal snap count, for example. Why not? What's the advantage to a clap, not clapping, etc?

Their clapping had nothing to do with our o-line getting bull rushed and completely destroyed. This seems petty.

You're right. It has nothing to do with our o-line getting destroyed. It has everything to do with the D-line possibly clapping to interfere with Nebraska's snapcount which is what this is all about. It's not petty at all. It's cheating if it happened.

Their clapping had nothing to do with our o-line getting bull rushed and completely destroyed. This seems petty.

You're right. It has nothing to do with our o-line getting destroyed. It has everything to do with the D-line possibly clapping to interfere with Nebraska's snapcount which is what this is all about. It's not petty at all. It's cheating if it happened.

It did seem like our line was standing around a lot, which could be caused by early snaps. In the 4th qtr. we went to a faster snap count and our line did play better.

I think we should move to a visual signal, like a hand reaching down to the knee or a lifted leg or something, but not as the signal to snap, but the signal to start the silent count. In this case, the center sees the signal, and silently counts "one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, snap." That is, if the silent count is three. The silent count can be given by a code word or something.

Michigan State has used a clap system to adjust their defensive in games prior to Nebraska. This is evident from watching game film and it is the job of the Nebraska coaches to watch the film and think, "hey this might be something that would make us change our pre-snap process". At this point, it would be better for Bo to just move on and get us prepared for Northwestern.