I Just got a Feelin'............

That this team could actually win out........and make it to the CCG.........

I had a lot of doubt days after the Mich St loss...but the week has smoothed things over.

I think some crazy things will happen (Tommy will actually start making some sweet short passes, Pierson-El will emerge as a go-to WR) and NEB might have a scare or two (due to the o-line and a few unnecessary turnovers).....but NEB will make it to Indy 11-1.

*This really doesn't deserve it's own topic....but you guys can discuss if ya want.....might as well utilize another thread discussing it.......

• Fire 2

Posted this on the NW Preparations thread, but thought I'd put it here...fits much better on this thread:

Had a thought yesterday watching the MSU game, where they were clearly only "ok". Did they just get sky high and all jacked up, ready to play against doNU because they recognized something about the Huskers that no one else, including the Huskers has realized? Namely, that doNU is THE team to beat in the Big10? Is there any chance (guzzling koolaid here) that MSU just played their best defensive game of the year and we happened to have our worst game of the year on the same night?

This game against NW might answer that question. If we roll them, things look promising. If we struggle at all, then the 9-4 chatter and all that goes along with it might be legit.

I think we win handily and become sizable favorites in the rest of our games up to the CC.

Paulcrewe touched on his game-by-game analysis of the rest of the season in another thread and I couldn't agree more with him.........

On paper...this Husker team is the best in the West.....

But can the team get out of their own way? Can the coaches keep this team focused and prepared?

I mean hell....crazy things have happened in college football....people remember last year how sh**ty MSU was on offense 4-5 games in? I mean, c'mon.....Cook wasn't even a solidified starter at QB.....

Maybe things click even more for Tommy....maybe some weapons emerge on offense and the D keeps getting better (like it usually does).

Even if positives don't emerge...if the team just stays focused and plays their game.....they will win out.....

• Fire 1

But can the team get out of their own way?

This is the biggest question and has been for some time.

Here's my glass-half-full answer to that question: While still shooting ourselves in the foot too much, we seem to have overcome it better than in the past. Against Miami - a team that has talent but one we should have beaten without too much problem - we didn't play particularly well. We let them score first. We turned it over a couple times. The completed a much higher percentage than we usually allow and gained 359 yards through the air. But we still had the game well put away as it came down the stretch. In the past, those games have come right down to the final play.

Against MSU - a team that was at least as good as us and probably better - we looked to be headed toward a one-sided affair similar to tOSU or Wiscy II in 2012 or Wiscy in 2011. On the road, night game, highly-ranked opponent and we let them get out to a big lead. However, this time we kept fighting, made a run and had a chance to win at the end. Much better against a fairly evenly matched opponent than has happened often in the past.

We still need to be better. But it seems like we've handled a couple of those games better than we have in the past.

• Fire 1

A few of the preseason prognosticators seem to have been correct about our OL. We are a very talented team across the board, but the OL may be our least talented group. It doesn't appear we have an All B1G offensive lineman. Hopefully there is a bright future with talent such as Farmer and Foster.

I think some crazy things will happen

wlEmoticon-pointingup11.png What Husker fans have been predicting/hoping for every mid-October since 2002.

Unfortunately, nothing too crazy has gone down. Certain teams have the better head coaches who hire the better coordinators and better position coaches who recruit the better recruits and then coach the recruits to become the better players. Those teams get the conference titles, BCS bowl games, top ten finishes, etc. The rest of us just hope for something crazy.

• Fire 3

I think some crazy things will happen

wlEmoticon-pointingup11.png What Husker fans have been predicting/hoping for every mid-October since 2002.

Unfortunately, nothing too crazy has gone down. Certain teams have the better head coaches who hire the better coordinators and better position coaches who recruit the better recruits and then coach the recruits to become the better players. Those teams get the conference titles, BCS bowl games, top ten finishes, etc. The rest of us just hope for something crazy.

I agree overall . The jury is still out this year for us though. I think Garrison is a good line coach and we have made slow but steady progress overall in that area since he has taken over. Barney is a liability though and retirement can't come soon enough. Beck seems to be hit or miss although I can't blame him too much for our first loss.

Defense has improved and players seem to get better game by game.

Special teams are a huge improvement.

I think there is some reason for hope still this year that the coaches and players are getting it.

Part of me thinks that the stark, dramatic improvement we've seen on special teams this year (since Bo took over ST duties) could be a microcosm of the improvement he could offer the team overall if he's surrounded with the right supporting cast and improvements.

To that end, I would replace Barney with someone, either a QB coach (preferably) or another very strong OL coach if they're deadset an having two OL coaches, and take a serious look at the S&C regimen, as well as practice schedule we use, in an attempt to keep our actual starters on the field.

Good to hear you're feeling more positive about our chances this year Chaddy. You seemed less optimistic just a few days ago.

Winning out shouldn't be the goal. Winning a championship should be. I would much rather lose before the CCG and be out of the race, than to get embarassed at the CCG.

The problem is, the way the west is shaping up, another loss might make it very difficult to get to said CCG.

So, yes, winning out should be the goal.

You missed his point.