Beck's family being harassed?C

For which...then he would obviously have fans saying....."OMG....suck it up. Just do your job....this happens everywhere....bla bla bla....."

Exactly. They would and of course if he choses to not say anything people complain. Seriously, if he was to publicly say anything about it, the problem could very well get worse. Is that a risk a man wants to take for his family? And for those that brush it off and think he should deal with it, it comes with the job...What if it gets worse? What if there are threats? You know, that has happened to coaches before. Heck Richrod had a death threat on a family member or maybe himself, can't remember. And that was because they were pissed he was LEAVING!

I'm in no way condoning this behavior. But it's incredibly unlikely it's going to get worse.

I also highly doubt this is the first time it's happened.

And, if he's really honestly threatened, the Lincoln police would be the people I would tell, not the Lincoln media.

I know you're not condoning it, BUT how do you know it's unlikely it gets worse? If you're in those shoes do you brush it off like that? I doubt it. As far as threatened, I didn't say he was because I have no idea. But I do know for a fact that often times when a response is given, the behavior gets worse. Basic human psychology back up with case after case of when that has held true. People can sit on here and brush it off and be pissed he won't talk to media, whatever, but unless you've been there you can't even guess at what he's feeling or how much worse or even better the situation will get.

Well, my experience with an employee I had to let go and him spending the weekend threatening me isn't at all the same, but I have been in that situation.

And I'm fairly confident it's not going to get worse for Tim Beck is because he's a public figure in Lincoln and he has numerous resources some don't to prevent any situation like that from escalating to a point of tragedy. It's just not going to happen. Coaches get harassed in football crazed towns on all levels and have for a long time. That's incredibly sh**ty, and I'd never ever do no matter my feelings toward a coach, but I'm also not a crazy a-hole.

Beck has a hard job that is likely cluttered with a lot of crap. But he's also very well compensated for it, so he unfortunately has to learn to roll with it. It would happen at other places. Look at the crap Watson took here and now look at his situation in Austin. It's inescapable.

You're right, your situation is not even remotely the same. Your's was one person, you knew them, and knew there weren't others, and also had a pretty good idea of what that person was capable of. Not even close to the same. I agree, it does happen elsewhere, but it is far from the norm as you want to think it is. If it was the norm, you'd hear much more about it. Why do these incidents make the news? Because it's NEWs, not what you hear everyday happening. As far as the compensation...Many, maybe most people really far overestimate what money means to coaches. Do they look for the highest paying job available? Sure, but success and happiness have a lot of say there too. Most coaches don't get into coaching for money. They get in because they have a desire to compete, to help others compete, to win. That is true at any level.

Let's not pretend this phenomenon is a big story. We only know about it because we are big Husker fans. It could very well be happening in say, Gainesville, but it's out of our media loop.

This story isn't cracking the wire outside of Nebraska.

Uh, it made Nebraska news. It makes news where ever it happens. Google picks up news from every state. I believe there's 128 FBS schools, all of which have media contacts. If it happens everywhere why does Google only pick up a few incidents of it happening? Is there unhappiness with coaches everywhere at some time? Sure. But, no, not every fan base has rogue, rabid fans that go after coaches families on a regular basis. I'm not saying it's national news at all, and in fact, I don't know the details. If these rogue fans of ours shouted some things, said some things, ok, whatever, goes with the territory. But my belief is if the coach is concerned enough about it that he doesn't want to talk to the media, then my guess is he feels it's more than that. I can't blame him myself.

Well I'd say with this story being out there coupled with the pearl clutching over MSU clapping during the game I'd say the deflection away from why Nebraska looked completely overmatched for three and a half quarters against MSU has been successfully executed.

Wow. I just lost what respect I had for you after reading that.

You're something. Really something.

I thought the wind shifted out here.....

Well I'd say with this story being out there coupled with the pearl clutching over MSU clapping during the game I'd say the deflection away from why Nebraska looked completely overmatched for three and a half quarters against MSU has been successfully executed.

Lets all get along, you guys

Lets all get along, you guys

Agreed, I'm getting awfully tired of every one of his comments jabbing at my intelligence or telling me how little respect he has for me

Posts like this are not appropriate for the regular forums. Please take personal "you" "your" posts to the Shed.

Ah yes...distract us with the fans...I expect more out of the media and Beck. You're a paid professional. You know this sort of stupid crap (and it is stupid) comes with the job. Just shrug it off and take care of your responsibilities. Nothing is going to happen to your family. These fools are cowards. Go talk to the media and focus on football. This whining gets old. I can't excuse the fans but there are always a bunch of morons out there with nothing better to do. Be above that. This should be a non story...

Ummm....that's what he was doing.

Really? By refusing to talk to the media during your scheduled time to talk to the media about football...that's being above this? We wonder why this team wilts under pressure....

Oh good Lord....

:facepalm:

:lame

Ill regret this, but gonna do it anyway. LOL. I'll be another insensitive prick and say, that for 750K a year to coach football, you guise can say whatever the hell you want to me and my family.

Easy to say when you're not in that situation. Everyone thinks money can make everything tolerable. Well sorry, but glad you aren't a coach because you'd be in for the wrong reasons. Do people really think that coaches do what they do because of the money? They don't. They love the game, know the game, and can't play anymore. The closest thing they can get to that high is coaching. Sure money helps, but its not the backbone of what they do

Ill regret this, but gonna do it anyway. LOL. I'll be another insensitive prick and say, that for 750K a year to coach football, you guise can say whatever the hell you want to me and my family.

Easy to say when you're not in that situation. Everyone thinks money can make everything tolerable. Well sorry, but glad you aren't a coach because you'd be in for the wrong reasons. Do people really think that coaches do what they do because of the money? They don't. They love the game, know the game, and can't play anymore. The closest thing they can get to that high is coaching. Sure money helps, but its not the backbone of what they do

But they should also know this comes with the territory and help their family understand that as well. If this isn't a death threat or some credible threat of bodily harm, then somebody either needs to learn to let things roll off their shoulder or find another profession.

But they should also know this comes with the territory and help their family understand that as well. If this isn't a death threat or some credible threat of bodily harm, then somebody either needs to learn to let things roll off their shoulder or find a profession.

Yeah honestly.

And I'm going to say it again, if he was truly threatened by it, the police, not the media, needed to hear it.