Passes in the flat

Footwork is an issue and the lack of touch on the ball.

Tommy just has to get into the zone and find a rhythm sometimes it seems, but I'm still really high on this kid. I just think he's gonna settle in and get the mental stuff down more. Right now I think the mental is affecting the physical. He's young and still gets a little wide eyed out there.

Agree that TA is farther ahead than TM at this point in their careers. I still think we need a dedicated QB/offense guy to work on this with him, though. Beck's shown he doesn't care to fix mechanics.

A good example of footwork was the missed screen to AA. I know you have to back up when you lose your OL, but he was dang near falling backwards when he let that throw go.

Agree that TA is farther ahead than TM at this point in their careers. I still think we need a dedicated QB/offense guy to work on this with him, though. Beck's shown he doesn't care to fix mechanics.

A good example of footwork was the missed screen to AA. I know you have to back up when you lose your OL, but he was dang near falling backwards when he let that throw go.

There are some simple fixes:

Point your lead leg where you want to throw.

Step into the throw (hard with pressure)

Look one way and through the other.

Pump the ball, dip your shoulder.

TA throws a vertical ball well IMO (bread and butter), but the shorter flat routes not so much. Beck needs to really examine what types of passes TA can routinely and regularly complete, work in these from different formations and motions and build the passing attack around his strengths. not the strengths of beck's knowledge of passing routes.

TA is far from polished, but I tire of the "he's only a sophomore" comments. This is year 3 in the system. Basics like footwork and staring down receivers should be less noticeable IMO than they are.

Lastly, with proper play calling, he was remarkably improved in addition to better OL play. I can only imagine how well he would look with better fundamentals and play calling......O, and I like him as our QB.

• Fire 1

There are some simple fixes:

Point your lead leg where you want to throw.

Step into the throw (hard with pressure)

Look one way and through the other.

Pump the ball, dip your shoulder.

TA throws a vertical ball well IMO (bread and butter), but the shorter flat routes not so much. Beck needs to really examine what types of passes TA can routinely and regularly complete, work in these from different formations and motions and build the passing attack around his strengths. not the strengths of beck's knowledge of passing routes.

TA is far from polished, but I tire of the "he's only a sophomore" comments. This is year 3 in the system. Basics like footwork and staring down receivers should be less noticeable IMO than they are.

Lastly, with proper play calling, he was remarkably improved in addition to better OL play. I can only imagine how well he would look with better fundamentals and play calling......O, and I like him as our QB.

Agreed. Just wish the coaches would put him in the best position to succeed.

Being good at something doesn't mean you're good at teaching it, and since he's a grad assistant that means he doesn't have as much time as a real coach to dedicate to coaching.

THIS. It's like all the NBA all-stars that flame out as coaches. Think Isiah Thomas. He sucked HARD at coaching, but I doubt anyone would rip his ability to play.

Maybe Joey is able to work with Tommy on concepts as far as plays and knows the reads a QB should make, but doesn't know how to diagnose and iron out wonky mechanics or footwork.