Any chance Gregory stays?

He has actually told people in the program he wants to come back. He really loves Nebraska, and he knows that we're going to be a great defense next year with all the injured guys coming back.

I dont think he actually comes back when the time comes to make a decision, but don't be completely shocked if he actually stays.

I'm glad you brought this up. I wanted to, but thought I'd wait to see if someone else had heard the same. The words goin around that he's tellin numerous folks as if he's already made his decision. But we'll wait and see what this stretch run brings.

The thing is, when you have an insurance policy and you love a place as much as he appears to here, and youre influenced by such great people like Ameer Abdullah and Bo Pelini, it creates a perfect storm for guys to stay. Plus, I really think his game needs some more refining. And he probably needs another 10-20 pounds of good weight put on him, even to play OLB in a 3-4.

Refining not just for his ability to play in the NFL, which I think he has, but for his ability to survive the NFL physically. He's got to learn how to protect himself from blocks better, which is just technique. Right now, the tops of his socks should have "apply block here" printed on the them. I'd say learning not to be a sucker for cut blocks should be a priority for him.

If Bo was being honest to Randy, Bo should tell Randy to go pro. Randy is most likely going to be a top 10 pick, maybe even top 5. The best thing Bo could tell Randy is to go pro, but be smart with your money. Get a nice rookie contract, stay healthy for 4 years, and then get a nice 2nd contract. I really hope Randy doesn't come back to NU. I want to see him tear up the NFL and get his money.

I don't think Bo should tell him anything, leave it up to Gregory to make the decision.

Agreed, unless RG comes to him and wants help.

It's hard to pass up enough money that would, (if a guy were smart and cautious with it) set him up for life, financially. Then again, an insurance policy could do that as well, but they cost money. I don't know if Gregory gains any advantage by waiting, though.

But I don't blame Randy one bit for going if he is healthy at the end of the season, but he needs to wait until after the season to see how the stars align.

Matt Leinart was projected to go #1 after his Junior year. He came back and ended up dropping to #10. It cost him millions.

Jadaveon Clowney was going to be the #1 pick after his RS Sophomore season. He came back and got hurt/mailed it in. Still was the #1 pick but hasn't played a snap in 4 weeks.

The lesson is to take the opportunity while you are ahead. I don't think Gregory can afford to come back.

I will leave the door open just a bit for him coming back if we somehow get to the playoffs and not win the NC and he wants another shot at it. But I still wouldn't bet on it.

I would love to rationalize by saying the opportunity is in staying, but even I can't quite buy into that one. After all, why is it we go to college? He may be the most entertaining defensive player I have had the opportunity to watch. Right there with Suh.

Not that it would have any bearing on swaying you away from first round money...But I am curious...What's Randy's major and how close is he to actually getting a degree?

And does the Player's association have any influence on putting in any clauses in rookie contracts to earmark money toward returning to college and getting a degree in the off season, or after you are used up in the NFL?

Thought I heard one of the announcers say RG led the BIG in sacks last year but is tied for 7th this year...I doubt that would matter all that much come draft time but that in addition to his nagging injuries might knock him out of the first 10 picks..

I hope for the best for Randy, you just never know when your career might end...The safe bet would definitely be to take the money and run, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sypZwmxePE4

NFLDraftScout.com Mock:

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Randy Gregory, Nebraska: The Jaguars' defense ranks among the league leaders in sacks halfway through the 2014 season, but Jacksonville is missing a true impact edge rusher in their front-seven. Gregory needs time to continue his development, but his tools are intriguing and his potential will be tough for teams to pass up if he declares early for next year's draft.