Chatelain: It's a running battle with playcaller Tim Beck

About halfway through I realized you were on a different side of the argument than I thought.

If I would like to see our offense go any direction it would be the same direction you do; towards more balance. Since the prevailing sentiment on here is that Beck still, somehow, passes too much or gets too cute with passing, usually the argument goes in defense of the passing game, so I guess in this case we're actually mostly on the same page.

Our offense isn't perfectly balanced but I would prefer it not be anyways. I think equal yards rushing and passing is a great place to (strive to) be, rather than equal attempts, but compared to Nebraska teams of old and compared to the current trends in college football, I like our relative balance.

Yes, I don't necessarily care if we are perfectly balanced in terms of yards or plays. I care more about quality. I want us to be very effective and hopefully even dangerous in both areas. That's the most important type of balance. We've been great at rushing for the most part in recent years, but aside from a handful of games, not very good at passing. If we're ever in the top 30 or 35 in both, we are probably an offense that has a good chance to put up points against anyone. And that's how you win the big games.

• Fire 1

This is rich.

How many times does Beck's offense appear in Nebraska's top ten all-time:

1. Passing yards in a game

2. Rushing yards in a game

3. Total yards in a game

4. Points in a game

5. Passing yards/game in a season

6. Rushing yards/game in a season

7. Total yards/game in a season

8. Points/game in a season

Oh, but Martinez did go 13 of 14 against Ark. St. :w00t

yup, those are the type of stats i was expecting. not how many carries burkhead had in a game. or sophomore wide receiver records.

Snide comments. That's all you have.

Ameer is a great RB, probably the best in the nation. That doesn't mean he should touch the ball 100% of the time. Even the best RB in the nation can't have a good day if all 11 guys on defense know that he's going to get the ball every time.

Our offense has to keep the defense honest, and we have the ability to with receivers like Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, and DPE. The only way you keep them honest is by throwing the ball their way.

Every offensive coordinator in the country gives their respective fan base "what the hell are you doing?" moments. Beck is not the exception, but rather the rule. Sometimes it comes down to executing the play. When things go right, the players get all the credit. When things go wrong, it's the offensive coordinator's fault.

You could say, "if we can't execute those plays, why call them?" It's not that simple. Maybe we have executed those plays in the past or in practice, but came up empty during the game. How is the OC supposed to predict the future?

Few words I've rarely heard from our fans, "Excellent play call."

These are very good points.

I think execution is one big thing a lot of people forget, especially. For example, Chatelain mentioned that on the drive after Abdullah ripped off his second 50-yard run, we passed three straight times and it resulted in an interception. The first pass was a play-action. I don't think that's a bad play call. Abdullah just ripped them twice for big gainers, so, let's do a play action because the defense may be expecting us to run again.

The problem, of course, is it fell incomplete. 2nd and 10. Run or pass? Running will likely get you at least a couple of yards, so you're still in 3rd and 5 or 3rd and long. Passing could net you a big gain or get you to third and manageable, depending on the play call. We passed, it fell incomplete. Now, it's 3rd and Long. A must-pass situation that ended poorly.

All of that could have been avoided had the play-action worked. I still like that idea, but I may have run on second down instead of trying to pass. Offenses are a definite balance of match-ups, playcalling and execution, but again, I do think people really over look the execution part sometimes.

• Fire 1

1st & 10: You can't call run every time. Sometimes you will call a pass and it will be incomplete (or equivalently, you run for no gain).

2nd & 10: You can't call run every time. Do we run sometimes here? Sure. But this is not a 100% running down, not even close. Sometimes you pass, and sometimes it's incomplete.

3rd & 10: You can't call run every time. You can't even call run very often here.

Every team, even run-heavy Nebraska, will inevitably have some drives that go pass-pass-pass, and if they don't convert on 3rd down, the drive ends. Dirk lives in a world where either 1st & 10 or 2nd & 10 are 100% running downs, or both. His is a strange, fantasy world. I don't even think he really believes it. He just likes looking for things to complain about, and was careless with this one.

• Fire 2

We're #6 in the country in rushing offense, #11 in scoring offense, and #13 in total offense. I have no issues with Beck at this time.

i agree. even though passing 3 times irks me a little, because we are the better team and we should just impose our will on them with the run. however, we will need to be able to pass in those situations. it is good to know we can or work on it.

• Fire 1

Volume isn't efficiency. All those stats reflect is how much Nebraska runs the ball compared to other teams. Nebraska runs the ball a lot compared to other teams, and this can't be a mystery to anybody. Most offenses in college football are not nearly as run-heavy.

And yet, in spite of this, the premise of many people's gripes (including that of the article) is that Nebraska doesn't "run the damn ball" enough. It's pretty silly.

It's verging on bizarre.

I'm predicting that Nebraska will fail to score on every possession and have more than one "three-and-out" possesion in other games this season, at which point Tim Beck will join Nick Saban, Tom Osborne, Bill Bellichick and every coach who has called plays in the history of football.

I strongly recommend enjoying our currrent show of offense, with its impressive array of record-setting players and highlight reel plays.

Otherwise, there are only four teams that have rushed the ball for more yards than Nebraska: Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Navy and Georgia Southern. I see nothing to envy there, but if some of you want to jump ship to a more "run-happy" team, I'm sure they could use the fans.

#StickWithWhatWorks

OC Tim Beck: #Huskers scored 3 TDs on the same running play (3 different formations) vs Rutgers. Essentially had 3 run calls in the 2nd half

What exactly is Nyatawa trying to say here? That we ran the ball only three times in the second half?

That having thrown two touchdown passes, we should also try to throw more touchdown passes?

That it was wrong to give the bulk of carries to Cross and Newby in a game already decided?

Ameer is a great RB, probably the best in the nation. That doesn't mean he should touch the ball 100% of the time. Even the best RB in the nation can't have a good day if all 11 guys on defense know that he's going to get the ball every time.

Our offense has to keep the defense honest, and we have the ability to with receivers like Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, and DPE. The only way you keep them honest is by throwing the ball their way.

Every offensive coordinator in the country gives their respective fan base "what the hell are you doing?" moments. Beck is not the exception, but rather the rule. Sometimes it comes down to executing the play. When things go right, the players get all the credit. When things go wrong, it's the offensive coordinator's fault.

You could say, "if we can't execute those plays, why call them?" It's not that simple. Maybe we have executed those plays in the past or in practice, but came up empty during the game. How is the OC supposed to predict the future?

I think execution is one big thing a lot of people forget, especially. For example, Chatelain mentioned that on the drive after Abdullah ripped off his second 50-yard run, we passed three straight times and it resulted in an interception. The first pass was a play-action. I don't think that's a bad play call. Abdullah just ripped them twice for big gainers, so, let's do a play action because the defense may be expecting us to run again.

The problem, of course, is it fell incomplete. 2nd and 10. Run or pass? Running will likely get you at least a couple of yards, so you're still in 3rd and 5 or 3rd and long. Passing could net you a big gain or get you to third and manageable, depending on the play call. We passed, it fell incomplete. Now, it's 3rd and Long. A must-pass situation that ended poorly.

All of that could have been avoided had the play-action worked. I still like that idea, but I may have run on second down instead of trying to pass. Offenses are a definite balance of match-ups, playcalling and execution, but again, I do think people really over look the execution part sometimes.

Certainly.

I think what may get to a majority of Husker fans the most is the idea that Abdullah is almost a sure gain of at least 3 yards whereas a pass from TA risks 0 or worse, an INT. So it might be an issue of probability. Do you take the almost assured 3 yards? Or do you risk an INT or an incomplete for a bigger play?

I'd say 3rd and 7 isn't much different than 3rd and 10.

3rd down efficiency by the way, Nebraska ranks 19th in the nation, converting nearly half of their 108 3rd down plays.

But it's nice to gripe about something. A loss to Michigan State doesn't quite have the staying power as an "inconsistent" offensive coordinator.

Certainly.

I think what may get to a majority of Husker fans the most is the idea that Abdullah is almost a sure gain of at least 3 yards whereas a pass from TA risks 0 or worse, an INT. So it might be an issue of probability. Do you take the almost assured 3 yards? Or do you risk an INT or an incomplete for a bigger play?

3rd down efficiency by the way, Nebraska ranks 19th in the nation, converting nearly half of their 108 3rd down plays.

But it's nice to gripe about something. A loss to Michigan State doesn't quite have the staying power as an "inconsistent" offensive coordinator.

I think the main deal is, you go 3 straight plays without giving your superstar the ball.

#StickWithWhatWorks

Jon Nyatawa@JonNyatawa 28m28 minutes ago

OC Tim Beck: #Huskers scored 3 TDs on the same running play (3 different formations) vs Rutgers. Essentially had 3 run calls in the 2nd half

What exactly is Nyatawa trying to say here? That we ran the ball only three times in the second half?

That having thrown two touchdown passes, we should also try to throw more touchdown passes?

That it was wrong to give the bulk of carries to Cross and Newby in a game already decided?

He is saying something I like actually. We are calling the same play from different formations. Aka simplifying WTF we are doing and at the same time confusing the defense. I have wanted us to do this for awhile now

Certainly.

I think the main deal is, you go 3 straight plays without giving your superstar the ball.

We've gone 3 straight plays where he does get the ball. Do they offset?

Certainly.

We've gone 3 straight plays where he does get the ball. Do they offset?

I dont know. Youre the math analyst of the board. :lol:

Im just sayin that that could very well be where some of the angst comes from.

The main thing is that in two games already this year that follow previous trends (loss on the big stage, and what coulda/maybe should been a loss to far inferior opponent), the offense has been a massive failure. That's all I'm lookin at. That's why I find myself being overly critical of it. What's gonna happen when we go up to Madison? What'll happen when we face Michigan St again, or a more talented Ohio St? I just havent seen anything yet against stellar competition (Miami aside, and that's very debateable as to whether theyre stellar) to suggest we're really that good.