CFB Selection Committee Rankings (Updated 11/11)

Kernal

I'm a fan of an 8 team playoff. Actually, it was the number I proposed years ago in threads discussing a potential playoff. However, I am adamantly against taking the five conference champions and three at large teams. Why should a team get in just for winning their conference? Take the Big 12 for instance. They don't even have a conference championship game. This year, it is highly likely the crowned champion will be a one loss team where some screwy rule based on a tiebreaker crowns the champion. Now, look at the Pac 12. If any other team than Oregon wins the conference, they shouldn't get an auto punched ticket into the playoff. I'd also hate to see a team like Ohio State get in automatically if they win out considering they lost at home to a team that is/was last in their division and taken to OT by Penn State. An 8 team playoff works quite well, but spoiling it by automatically qualifying conference champions seems wrong.

But then we're just back at the current mess where teams are picked based on mushy criteria. I just consider the conference title a play off already. It's been decided that that team is the best in its little vacuum. Comparing teams' performances across time and space based on mutual foes or the mutual foes that their opponents have played is getting a little weird. It doesn't do anything to break the "The SCC is The Best" bias (or whichever conference is deemed to be the best). The champions won their conferences, the only thing that can really be said is that, when it mattered, they were the best in their conference. Pitting the best in each conference against one-another just seems like the best way to objectively select teams. I don't want a committee deciding all or even most of the teams-- the at large slots can be decided that way, though it's still not my favorite. If it were up to me, all of the conference champions from all conferences would go into a playoff. I just think that 8 teams is the most manageable because it would only add 3 more games for the 2 championship-bound teams. I know no one wants to lose regular season games, but I think dropping a scrubby out-of-conference game would be okay. Hell, if the playoff pits champions against champions, then opinion based meta-rankings don't even matter, so we won't have to complain about weak OOC games. Just win your conference.

I would not be shocked if Miss. St is at 1 and Auburn is at 2 after this week - Auburn's win over a top team (at this exact moment in time) would probably sell that to the committee. Followed by FSU and Oregon - real close at the top.

It may not be surprising but it seems the committee is honoring the undefeated teams more so right now

This is the way it's always been and I really can't argue. Very few actually thought Notre Dame was one of the best two teams a couple years ago but they were in the championship game.

It's tough to win a lot of college football games. If you make it through the entire season undefeated, you've accomplished a pretty good feat. Any Power 5 team that goes undefeated will be in the Playoff. There are enough former coaches on the committee that is guaranteed.

Wisconsin

MSU 8. Jumped by KSU.

Ole Miss at 11.

Huskers at 13.

OSU at 14.

Wisconsin?

Wisconsin is #25.

I'm disappointed to see a two-loss team ranked above NU, but I still think we control our own destiny.

Gotta gain some respect and beat a top 25 team on Nov. 15th. Good spot to be at right now, very good IMO.

Here's the full second ranking:

1 Mississippi State 8-0

2 Florida State 8-0

3 Auburn 7-1

4 Oregon 8-1

5 Alabama 7-1

6 TCU 7-1

7 Kansas State 7-1

8 Michigan State 7-1

9 Arizona State 7-1

10 Notre Dame 7-1

11 Ole Miss 7-2

12 Baylor 7-1

13 Nebraska 8-1

14 Ohio State 7-1

15 Oklahoma 6-2

16 LSU 7-2

17 Utah 6-2

18 UCLA 7-2

19 Arizona 6-2

20 Georgia 6-2

21 Clemson 6-2

22 Duke 7-1

23 West Virginia 6-3

24 Georgia Tech 7-2

25 Wisconsin 6-2

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Here's the full second ranking:

1 Mississippi State 8-0

2 Florida State 8-0

3 Auburn 7-1

4 Oregon 8-1

5 Alabama 7-1

6 TCU 7-1

7 Kansas State 7-1

8 Michigan State 7-1

9 Arizona State 7-1

10 Notre Dame 7-1

11 Ole Miss 7-2

12 Baylor 7-1

13 Nebraska 8-1

14 Ohio State 7-1

15 Oklahoma 6-2

16 LSU 7-2

17 Utah 6-2

18 UCLA 7-2

19 Arizona 6-2

20 Georgia 6-2

21 Clemson 6-2

22 Duke 7-1

23 West Virginia 6-3

24 Georgia Tech 7-2

25 Wisconsin 6-2

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

I agree with the rankings for the most part. The only thing that I would change is Ole Miss behind Baylor, Nebraska and Ohio State. The only thing I am basing this off of is number of losses. I agree with a lot of people saying that it will all even out at the end.