CFB Selection Committee Rankings (Updated 11/11)

Kernal

I like that the committee appears to take wins and losses pretty seriously. The two unbeaten teams are #1 and #2. All the one-loss teams are next, except Duke and East Carolina, which have five 2-loss teams ahead of them.

I think you absolutely have to value wins and losses as the first criteria.

Undefeated Marshall would like a word...Y

I mean among power-5 teams.

I'd like to see some re-alignment done so that power-5 teams are in their own division, that way teams like Marshall can compete to be a national champion among similarly situated teams.

My solution would be to give all conference champs an automatic bid and have the playoff committee determine the at large bids.

I agree with this. Or take the top 4 power conference winners if the 5th conference doesn't deserve to be in by record (meaning they have an extra loss so 2 losses and other conference champs have only 1 or none). If all 5 champs deserve a spot have a wildcard game...make it flexible because you know this system will be just as broken as all the rest before it.

It's inevitable. There will be multiple teams "deserving" of a chance to play. Some years it'll work fine, others it won't.

I don't even have to read it.

Nebraska fan thinks everyone is against them. We get cheated every game, we should have won every game, and we are much better than we show on the field. We should be in the 4 team playoff if we win the conference championship.

Did I miss anything?

• Fire 1

Nebraska fan thinks everyone is against them. We get cheated every game, we should have won every game, and we are much better than we show on the field. We should be in the 4 team playoff if we win the conference championship.

Did I miss anything?

Yes.

Callahan ruined the walk-on program.

Did I miss anything?

About 95% of the thread.

• Fire 1

Ole miss at #4 is laughable

Three SEC teams in the top four is complete garbage.

Here's why it's not. Suppose the committee really does want conference champions only when all else is close. So they go with 1. Miss St 2 FSU 3 Oregon 4 Mich St 5 Kansas St 6 Auburn 7 Alabama 8 Ole Miss even though they believe

Now suppose Miss St loses (twice so Auburn can go to the CCG), but the others in the top 6 wins out, impressively. Now they've got to jump SEC champ Auburn over a team that was basically told they were in and did everything they needed to do to stay there, and have to tell them, well, we thought Auburn was better than you all along but didn't want to be criticized for putting too many SEC teams up there early when it really didn't matter so much.

If this was a final ranking I'd be pissed too, since those SEC teams haven't distanced themselves from the rest of the 1 loss pack much at all.

Other than that though, the committee was told to take the 4 best teams, with a conference championship A factor, but not a requirement.

I'm not following your train of thought.

They should put three SEC teams in the first poll because then God forbid, if the SEC champion isn't the one that's in the original poll they would have to actually work to justify getting them in? So....let's put three in to make sure there is one there?

I can understand that, since I didn't even complete my first sentence. I meant to say:

Here's why it's not. Suppose the committee really does want conference champions only when all else is close. So they go with 1. Miss St 2 FSU 3 Oregon 4 Mich St 5 Kansas St 6 Auburn 7 Alabama 8 Ole Miss even though they believe that the SEC has 3 of the top 4 teams at this point.

So to finish my train of thought, since they think the SEC has 3 of the top 4, yes, whoever survives that should definitely be in. If the anti-SEC butt hurt is this bad now, how sore would it be if at the end of the season they move an SEC team they always thought was one of the top 4 ahead of a team that they believed was not?

It's better to say "These are the top 4 teams right now. If you want in the playoffs, you have to do better than them from here on out. And do that, by winning out and win your conference CCG."

Not, "Here are the teams we put 1-4. We don't really believe it, and we may make changes later that look random, but it's because these really aren't the best 4. We just thought this would make people happier."

OK...I can somewhat buy into that. it just still gets down to people's opinion on who they think is better than other teams and that is what I don't like. I would add the red part above.

Chances are, one of the SEC teams in the top 6 will win the conference. Yep....they are in. Now, let's see who else is conference champions and pick the best three of those and put them in to finish off the top four.

Did I miss anything?

yeah. the complaining is mostly just generalized sec sucks and everything is unfair/biased/stupid.

I think it will be a bigger playoff soon enough. They are just testing the waters. I think it would be too chaotic to try to set up a 12 or 16 team playoff right away. Finding the venues and determining how many days off etc. I think they will just have to do more research and first see the feedback with how this year goes. After that I could see expansion fairly quickly.

I like that the committee appears to take wins and losses pretty seriously. The two unbeaten teams are #1 and #2. All the one-loss teams are next, except Duke and East Carolina, which have five 2-loss teams ahead of them.

I think you absolutely have to value wins and losses as the first criteria.

Undefeated Marshall would like a word...Y

I mean among power-5 teams.

I'd like to see some re-alignment done so that power-5 teams are in their own division, that way teams like Marshall can compete to be a national champion among similarly situated teams.

My solution would be to give all conference champs an automatic bid and have the playoff committee determine the at large bids.

I agree with this. Or take the top 4 power conference winners if the 5th conference doesn't deserve to be in by record (meaning they have an extra loss so 2 losses and other conference champs have only 1 or none). If all 5 champs deserve a spot have a wildcard game...make it flexible because you know this system will be just as broken as all the rest before it.

It's inevitable. There will be multiple teams "deserving" of a chance to play. Some years it'll work fine, others it won't.

I was shocked when it was limited four teams because they're passing up a truckload of money.

• Fire 1

I was shocked when it was limited four teams because they're passing up a truckload of money.

Yeah, I was surprised the playoff didn't go beyond four teams too.

On the other hand, nothing sells like controversy. Maybe the powers that be wanted just enough teams in to expand the inventory, without having so many as to tamp down the controversy. Without the controversy, it's just a bunch of games with regional interest.

1. Mississippi State - Beat Arkansas barely.

2. Florida State - Beat Louisville.

3. Auburn - Beat Ole Miss.

4. Ole Miss - LOST TO AUBURN.

5. Oregon - Beat Stanford bad.

6. Alabama - Bye.

7. TCU - Beat WVU on last-second FG.

8. Michigan State - Bye.

9. Kansas State - Beat OSU bad.

10. Notre Dame - Beat Navy barely.

11. Georgia - LOST TO FLORIDA.

12. Arizona - LOST TO UCLA.

13. Baylor - Beat KU bad.

14. Arizona State - Beat Utah by 3.

15. Nebraska - Beat Purdue bad.

16. Ohio State - Beat Illinois bad.

17. Utah - LOST TO ASU by 3.

18. Oklahoma - Beat ISU bad.

19. LSU - Bye.

20. West Virginia - LOST TO TCU ON LAST-SECOND FG.

21. Clemson - Bye.

22. UCLA - Beat Arizona.

23. East Carolina - LOST.

24. Duke - Beat Pitt ugly.

25. Louisville - LOST TO FSU.

Not ranked - Wisconsin - Beat Rutgers bad.

My predictions for BIG TEN teams:

MSU moves up to #7 as a result of Ole Miss' second loss.

Nebraska and OSU move up to #12 and #13, respectively, as a result of Ole Miss, Georgia, and Arizona losses.

Wisconsin enters the rankings for the first time and gets in around #22-23 as a result of Utah, WVU, ECU, and Louisville losses.

1. Mississippi State - Beat Arkansas barely.

2. Florida State - Beat Louisville.

3. Auburn - Beat Ole Miss.

4. Ole Miss - LOST TO AUBURN.

5. Oregon - Beat Stanford bad.

6. Alabama - Bye.

7. TCU - Beat WVU on last-second FG.

8. Michigan State - Bye.

9. Kansas State - Beat OSU bad.

10. Notre Dame - Beat Navy barely.

11. Georgia - LOST TO FLORIDA.

12. Arizona - LOST TO UCLA.

13. Baylor - Beat KU bad.

14. Arizona State - Beat Utah by 3.

15. Nebraska - Beat Purdue bad.

16. Ohio State - Beat Illinois bad.

17. Utah - LOST TO ASU by 3.

18. Oklahoma - Beat ISU bad.

19. LSU - Bye.

20. West Virginia - LOST TO TCU ON LAST-SECOND FG.

21. Clemson - Bye.

22. UCLA - Beat Arizona.

23. East Carolina - LOST.

24. Duke - Beat Pitt ugly.

25. Louisville - LOST TO FSU.

Not ranked - Wisconsin - Beat Rutgers bad.

Ol Miss should drop out of the top 10.

We should move up a couple spots because of Georgia and Arizona.

Everyone else from 5 - 10 should basically move up one spot due to Ol Miss dropping out.

Based on the previous rankings and how they did this week, I would put my top 4 as....

1) FSU

2) MSU

3) Auburn

4) Oregon

But, that's not what the final 4 will be.

1. Mississippi State

2. Florida State

3. Auburn

4. Ole Miss

5. Oregon

6. Alabama

7. TCU

8. Michigan State

9. Kansas State

10. Notre Dame

11. Georgia

12. Arizona

13. Baylor

14. Arizona State

15. Nebraska

16. Ohio State

17. Utah

18. Oklahoma

19. LSU

20. West Virginia

21. Clemson

22. UCLA

23. East Carolina

24. Duke

25. Louisville

There's an article up now on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11780604/college-football-playoff-rankings-mississippi-state-bulldogs-florida-state-seminoles-top

Not sure I understand this new method- I think the top four teams will play in two bowl games and the final two in a championship game in the new year. I don't know if this is much better than the BCS or the previous method. Looking at this first list, its possible that there could be more than 4 teams considered worthy- especially by the fans and writers.

I still think they should play all bowl games as they have been played up to now and then select the top 4 teams. The semi-finals should be played in mid January and the championship game on the day before the Super Bowl. There may be more than 4 teams looking like championship teams after all bowl games are played but less likely that the present method. I sent an email to Perlman and his opinion was that the extended time would be too disruptive to the academics. I think only four schools would be affected and they would be more than compensated by huge TV revenues.

FCS teams play a 24-team playoff and somehow manage to still be college students- I think their games all take place in December. Perlman is full of crap.

The committee's top four teams will be in the two playoff bowls with the winners playing in a new championship game. I believe the committee will also select the participants for the four non-playoff major bowls. Not sure if they are locked in to #5-#12, or how that all works.

And no one watches their regular season.

It's funny that you think their play off is why nobody watches their regular season.

Besides, if tere were a playoff that took the power 5 champions and only 3 wildcards (whic could easily be champions from other conferences), the regular season would STILL MATTER A LOT. I don't know where this "regular season wouldn't matter" idea comes from. There are over 100 teams that would be vying for 8 spots, not 32 vying for 16 or whatever. No .500 team would make it into a college playoff. Even a 2 loss team would have a problem unless they backed into their conference title game and then won. It wouldn't devalue the regular season at all; in some ways, it would make it MORE meaningful because the conference title would really mean they had a shot at a national title.

Did I miss anything?

About 95% of the thread.

Come on, it's not like reading would have any bearing on his prejudice.