CFB Selection Committee Rankings (Updated 11/11)

Kernal

To be fair Marshall kinda struggled with FAU, we know how good they are. Still if Marshall finishes 13-0 they deserve a good ranking and a new years day bowl.

Or do they deserve more? Isn't this why we have a playoff to work that out and not have more Utah States and Boise States?
Marshall isn't a Boise State. IIRC, every year Boise State was in the discussion they actually beat a good team at the beginning of the season. Plus they did it enough times that they started to gain respect and get ranked in preseason polls and had a decent chance of going to the BCS championship game that year they lost to Nevada.
  • Fire 1

To be fair Marshall kinda struggled with FAU, we know how good they are. Still if Marshall finishes 13-0 they deserve a good ranking and a new years day bowl.

Or do they deserve more? Isn't this why we have a playoff to work that out and not have more Utah States and Boise States?
Marshall isn't a Boise State. IIRC, every year Boise State was in the discussion they actually beat a good team at the beginning of the season. Plus they did it enough times that they started to gain respect and get ranked in preseason polls and had a decent chance of going to the BCS championship game that year they lost to Nevada.

But shouldn't we eliminate all doubt?

Alot of people isn't going to like this but as of right now I think they got it right. ole miss lost to LSU but that is a very young team getting better each week and death valley at night is a tuff place to play. in the end only one SEC team will be in. they are going to beat up on themselves to the piont they will all ahve 2 losses. we win out and BIG RED in, its that simple

My theory is as follows, if there are 4 undefeated and/or one-loss teams, and no more, they will be in the playoff:

Win out (of course)

Root for Mississippi St. to win out. We know one SEC team will be in the playoffs, so it gains nothing for them to lose. Let them win out, so that Bama gets another loss. We need all the other SEC teams to have two or more losses. That eliminates the rest of the SEC if there are 1 loss teams elsewhere. Mississippi State will be #1.

Root for Notre Dame to lose one more, or Florida State to lose two. Since Notre Dame losing one is more likely, root for that. So Florida State will be #2.

Now, there are two spots remaining, for the PAC-12, B1G, and Big 12. Here are the teams that have a chance from those places: Oregon, Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, Michigan State, Us, Ohio State, TCU, Kansas State, Baylor

Arizona, Utah, and Arizona State have all yet to play each other, so at best only one will emerge with one loss. Utah plays Oregon. We need to root for Utah against Oregon, then have Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah cannibalize each other, and if there is a one-loss team in the Pac-12 title game, we need to root for them to lose, so that there are no one loss teams out of that conference.

TCU and Kansas State, if not eliminated this week, will face each other next week. So one of them will be eliminated. Baylor and Kansas State must also face each other. There is a chance, then, that TCU and Baylor, having already met, would both have just 1 loss. However, since they have no conference championship game, only the conference title winner moves on, if at all, I think. Either way, we need a two-loss team to win that conference if the Pac-12 produces a one-loss winner. So, out of the odds, it'd be either Oregon/TCU as #3.

If there are no other one loss conference champs, and Nebraska wins out, we come in at #4.

• Fire 1

So let me get this straight.....#3 Ole Miss gets beat by a 24th ranked LSU team and is ranked #4 in the first College Football Playoff poll which is all I need to know about this committee

i couldn't agree with you more!! wasn't there a time when it was better to lose early than later in the season.. It wasn't perfect but it made sense, when one team lost they would fall in behind the others with the same record.. they sure as hell wouldn't be rewarded for it three days later with a championship game.. ok, excluding the 2001 huskers :sarcasm but really ole miss just lost, wtf!! back of the line!!!!!

• Fire 1

So let me get this straight.....#3 Ole Miss gets beat by a 24th ranked LSU team and is ranked #4 in the first College Football Playoff poll which is all I need to know about this committee

i couldn't agree with you more!! wasn't there a time when it was better to lose early than later in the season.. It wasn't perfect but it made sense, when one team lost they would fall in behind the others with the same record.. they sure as hell wouldn't be rewarded for it three days later with a championship game.. ok, excluding the 2001 huskers :sarcasm but really ole miss just lost, wtf!! back of the line!!!!!

They or Auburn will be eliminated this weekend, and as other teams win big games, come conference title time, not going to a conference title could greatly harm their chances.

Let's put it this way, who did I think was

Overrated:

Ole Miss

Oregon

Ohio State

Underrated:

Alabama

Georgia

Arizona

Kansas State

My Rankings would go:

1. Miss St

2. FSU

3. Auburn

4. Alabama

5. Ole Miss

6. TCU

7. Kansas State

8. Oregon

9. Georgia

10. Arizona

11. Michigan State

12. Notre Dame

13. Baylor

14. Arizona State

15. Nebraska

16. LSU

17. West Virginia

18. Utah

19. Oklahoma

20. Ohio State

Something along those lines.

There's a pretty big quagmire from 3 through 5, and another from 6 through 13, both of which will sort themselves out nicely in the coming weeks.

If Oregon was healthy along the offensive line vs Arizona as they have been in the past 2 weeks. They would be sitting at #3

They aren't overrated. Anyone they play will have to outscore them, which isn't likely now that they are healthy. Their defense is bad but it's good enough to steal a couple possessions and get a COUPLE stops. Unless I'm wrong... ;)

Auburn and Ole Miss play this week. It will be interesting to see how far the loser drops.

Utah @ Arizona State in a matchup of one-loss teams.

TCU @ West Virginia and Arizona @ UCLA could shake things up with two one-loss teams on the road against two-loss teams.

Also, Florida State @ Louisville and Stanford @ Oregon are two games that it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Top 5 team falls. Florida State on the road in the middle of the week (never a good place to be) after a big win and an extended layoff with mounting off-the-field issues. FSU also hasn't looked great in several games. Stanford's offense is down this year but their defense still looks very good and they've usually slowed Oregon pretty well.

Fun fact: Oregon is #8/#10/#30/#20 in Scoring Offense/Total Offense/Rushing Offense/Passing Offense. Nebraska is #9/#8/#6/#80

Auburn and Ole Miss play this week. It will be interesting to see how far the loser drops.

TCU @ West Virginia and Arizona @ UCLA could shake things up with two one-loss teams on the road against two-loss teams.

Also, Florida State @ Louisville and Stanford @ Oregon are two games that it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Top 5 team falls. Florida State on the road in the middle of the week (never a good place to be) after a big win and an extended layoff with mounting off-the-field issues. FSU also hasn't looked great in several games. Stanford's offense is down this year but their defense still looks very good and they've usually slowed Oregon pretty well.

Fun fact: Oregon is #8/#10/#30/#20 in Scoring Offense/Total Offense/Rushing Offense/Passing Offense. Nebraska is #9/#8/#6/#80

In my opinion, 2-loss team is auto-eliminated unless there aren't enough 1-loss or better power 5 teams to enter.

In my opinion, 2-loss team is auto-eliminated unless there aren't enough 1-loss or better power 5 teams to enter.

agree!!!!!