CFB Selection Committee Rankings (Updated 11/11)

Kernal

1. Mississippi State - Beat Arkansas barely.

2. Florida State - Beat Louisville.

3. Auburn - Beat Ole Miss.

4. Ole Miss - LOST TO AUBURN.

5. Oregon - Beat Stanford bad.

6. Alabama - Bye.

7. TCU - Beat WVU on last-second FG.

8. Michigan State - Bye.

9. Kansas State - Beat OSU bad.

10. Notre Dame - Beat Navy barely.

11. Georgia - LOST TO FLORIDA.

12. Arizona - LOST TO UCLA.

13. Baylor - Beat KU bad.

14. Arizona State - Beat Utah by 3.

15. Nebraska - Beat Purdue bad.

16. Ohio State - Beat Illinois bad.

17. Utah - LOST TO ASU by 3.

18. Oklahoma - Beat ISU bad.

19. LSU - Bye.

20. West Virginia - LOST TO TCU ON LAST-SECOND FG.

21. Clemson - Bye.

22. UCLA - Beat Arizona.

23. East Carolina - LOST.

24. Duke - Beat Pitt ugly.

25. Louisville - LOST TO FSU.

Not ranked - Wisconsin - Beat Rutgers bad.

Right now the committee is really heavily factoring in number of losses and head-head match ups. I know this will most likely be wrong but I think the rankings will look like this tomorrow night:

1. Mississippi State

2. Florida State
3. Auburn
4. Oregon
5. Alabama
6. TCU
7. Michigan State
8. Kansas State
9. Notre Dame
10. Baylor
11. Arizona St
12. Nebraska
13. Ohio State
14. Oklahoma
15. LSU
16. Clemson
17. UCLA
18. Duke
19. Ole Miss
20. Marshall
21. Arizona
22. Georgia
23. Wisconsin
24. Utah
25. West Virginia
1-19 feel right, 20-25 is was a complete guessing game.

6. Alabama - Bye.

8. Michigan State - Bye.

19. LSU - Bye.

21. Clemson - Bye.

22. UCLA - Beat Arizona.

Right now the committee is really heavily factoring in number of losses and head-head match ups. I know this will most likely be wrong but I think the rankings will look like this tomorrow night:

1. Mississippi State

2. Florida State
3. Auburn
4. Oregon
5. Alabama
6. TCU
7. Michigan State
8. Kansas State
9. Notre Dame
10. Baylor
11. Arizona St
12. Nebraska
13. Ohio State
14. Oklahoma
15. LSU
16. Clemson
17. UCLA
18. Duke
19. Ole Miss
20. Marshall
21. Arizona
22. Georgia
23. Wisconsin
24. Utah
25. West Virginia

I would be very shocked if Marshall went from unranked to #20

6. Alabama - Bye.

8. Michigan State - Bye.

19. LSU - Bye.

21. Clemson - Bye.

22. UCLA - Beat Arizona.

1. Mississippi State

2. Florida State
3. Auburn
4. Oregon
5. Alabama
6. TCU
7. Michigan State
8. Kansas State
9. Notre Dame
10. Baylor
11. Arizona St
12. Nebraska
13. Ohio State
14. Oklahoma
15. LSU
16. Clemson
17. UCLA
18. Duke
19. Ole Miss
20. Marshall
21. Arizona
22. Georgia
23. Wisconsin
24. Utah
25. West Virginia

I would be very shocked if Marshall went from unranked to #20

Like a said, complete guesses. But I don't see an undefeated Marshall left out for 3 loss teams.

6. Alabama - Bye.

8. Michigan State - Bye.

19. LSU - Bye.

21. Clemson - Bye.

22. UCLA - Beat Arizona.

1. Mississippi State

2. Florida State
3. Auburn
4. Oregon
5. Alabama
6. TCU
7. Michigan State
8. Kansas State
9. Notre Dame
10. Baylor
11. Arizona St
12. Nebraska
13. Ohio State
14. Oklahoma
15. LSU
16. Clemson
17. UCLA
18. Duke
19. Ole Miss
20. Marshall
21. Arizona
22. Georgia
23. Wisconsin
24. Utah
25. West Virginia

Old Miss won't fall to #19. The worst they will be is the top 2-loss team at #14, however I wouldn't be shocked to see them a couple spots higher. I also agree Marshall won't jump in to #20. They may rank above the 3-loss teams, but may not even be that high.

Besides, if tere were a playoff that took the power 5 champions and only 3 wildcards (whic could easily be champions from other conferences), the regular season would STILL MATTER A LOT. I don't know where this "regular season wouldn't matter" idea comes from. There are over 100 teams that would be vying for 8 spots, not 32 vying for 16 or whatever. No .500 team would make it into a college playoff. Even a 2 loss team would have a problem unless they backed into their conference title game and then won. It wouldn't devalue the regular season at all; in some ways, it would make it MORE meaningful because the conference title would really mean they had a shot at a national title.

But we would know that someone from the SECw is emerging as the leader of the pack and will play for a playoff spot. It makes no difference whether Arkansas gets in the endzone in the final minute because that in no way derails #1 Mississippi State's playoff run. There will be Egg Bowls and Iron Bowls that don't matter because one has already locked up an SECCG berth.

I don't even have to read it.

Nebraska fan thinks everyone is against them. We get cheated every game, we should have won every game, and we are much better than we show on the field. We should be in the 4 team playoff if we win the conference championship.

Did I miss anything

By the sounds of it, certainly not your .

Besides, if tere were a playoff that took the power 5 champions and only 3 wildcards (whic could easily be champions from other conferences), the regular season would STILL MATTER A LOT. I don't know where this "regular season wouldn't matter" idea comes from. There are over 100 teams that would be vying for 8 spots, not 32 vying for 16 or whatever. No .500 team would make it into a college playoff. Even a 2 loss team would have a problem unless they backed into their conference title game and then won. It wouldn't devalue the regular season at all; in some ways, it would make it MORE meaningful because the conference title would really mean they had a shot at a national title.

But we would know that someone from the SECw is emerging as the leader of the pack and will play for a playoff spot. It makes no difference whether Arkansas gets in the endzone in the final minute because that in no way derails #1 Mississippi State's playoff run. There will be Egg Bowls and Iron Bowls that don't matter because one has already locked up an SECCG berth.

How is that different from the past several decades of college football?

This entire "the regular season won't matter anymore" argument is just plain laughable anymore.

If we didn't have a playoff, at this point we would probably be simply talking about 3-4 teams that might make it to the championship game. NOW, we are talking about any of the top 15 could some how make it to the championship play off and multiple games every weekend are affecting how that will turn out.

It appears to me, there is MORE of the regular season that matters.

• Fire 2

This entire "the regular season won't matter anymore" argument is just plain laughable anymore.

If we didn't have a playoff, at this point we would probably be simply talking about 3-4 teams that might make it to the championship game. NOW, we are talking about any of the top 15 could some how make it to the championship play off and multiple games every weekend are affecting how that will turn out.

It appears to me that Nebraska is in the top 15 so we're talking about anything and everything that can occur to get them into the top 4. Any other year, at this point we've had a couple bad losses and are out of the picture so the conversation is different.

It appears to me that Nebraska is in the top 15 so we're talking about anything and everything that can occur to get them into the top 4. Any other year, at this point we've had a couple bad losses and are out of the picture so the conversation is different.

Fine...shrink my number down to the top 10. We still are talking about way more teams and watching way more games that matter this year than if there wasn't a playoff.

And, when I say "we", I'm talking about the general football fan public. Not just Husker fans.

I agree. I even think that keeping the playoff participant number low is an integral part of that. It might still work with 8 teams, but it seems like the uncertainty of how a team can get in is what makes the other games more interesting.

In previous years, the conversation would revolve around Miss. State and Florida State, and that's about it.

I'm a fan of an 8 team playoff. Actually, it was the number I proposed years ago in threads discussing a potential playoff. However, I am adamantly against taking the five conference champions and three at large teams. Why should a team get in just for winning their conference? Take the Big 12 for instance. They don't even have a conference championship game. This year, it is highly likely the crowned champion will be a one loss team where some screwy rule based on a tiebreaker crowns the champion. Now, look at the Pac 12. If any other team than Oregon wins the conference, they shouldn't get an auto punched ticket into the playoff. I'd also hate to see a team like Ohio State get in automatically if they win out considering they lost at home to a team that is/was last in their division and taken to OT by Penn State. An 8 team playoff works quite well, but spoiling it by automatically qualifying conference champions seems wrong.

• Fire 1

I would not be shocked if Miss. St is at 1 and Auburn is at 2 after this week - Auburn's win over a top team (at this exact moment in time) would probably sell that to the committee. Followed by FSU and Oregon - real close at the top.

It may not be surprising but it seems the committee is honoring the undefeated teams more so right now