***** What did we learn - Boilermaker Edition *****

Having a guy like Abdullah can be a blessing and a curse. The game plan centers around Ameer and even though Cross and Newby are serviceable, they are not him. You take a guy like him out of the game and Beck is forced to call a different style of game. Like others have said, Armstrong is not good at reading progressions, mostly because having Abdullah in the backfield makes it easier to pick out a single receiver in a pattern with one-on-one coverage. He has not developed into a QB capable of reading through progressions yet and that has to do with what Ameer does to a defense.

So it is our all American running backs fault our QB can't go through his progressions. Was it rex's fault TMart couldn't do it either?

Offense

-Pick a center. Preferably the one that doesn't share the HCs name.

-Bussey will play a ton if he ends up signing. We need this kid.

-Beck is losing one of his last defenders...me.

-Can we move our WRs to O-Line?

Defense

-Davie is quietly becoming a lockdown corner.

-Gerry is playing at a high level.

-We need to target the nastiest JUCO LB in the country.

-Gregory doesn't quit until the whistle blows.

Special Teams

-Why does anyone kick to DPE?

-Brown will be needed in close game soon. I'm not real confident now, but I think he'll get there.

We scored 28 legit points. Dont use that 5th garbage TD when we got the ball inside their ten with 2 minutes left when we coulda just as easily taken a knee cover up the fact that the offense was garbage for 93% of the second half, in all aspects. It's like sayin everything in East Lansing was hunky dory cuz we almost beat a top ten team. Look at the process. Look at how it's done. Not the result. Look at the opponents we've played, and how we've done against them.

WE WERE STILL IN A DOGFIGHT WITH PURDUE WITH 5 MINTUTES LEFT AT HOME. So I refuse to pretend everything is fine cuz we "scored 7 points under our average".

Just heard a guy on over reaction say that play calling should be handed to barney cotton. This is what beck has done to us, driven fans to madness

At least Cotton would try to call plays to his QBs strengths instead of Bill Callahaning a Joe Dailey...

I have the feeling that when this season is over, we'll look back at this team like the 09 team thinking "what a waste of a good defense"

Having a guy like Abdullah can be a blessing and a curse. The game plan centers around Ameer and even though Cross and Newby are serviceable, they are not him. You take a guy like him out of the game and Beck is forced to call a different style of game. Like others have said, Armstrong is not good at reading progressions, mostly because having Abdullah in the backfield makes it easier to pick out a single receiver in a pattern with one-on-one coverage. He has not developed into a QB capable of reading through progressions yet and that has to do with what Ameer does to a defense.

So it is our all American running backs fault our QB can't go through his progressions. Was it rex's fault TMart couldn't do it either?

You can interpret it any way you'd like. The fact is that the offense is heavily predicated on the run so when you take a guy like Ameer out of the equation for whatever reason, the QB will struggle, particularly when they are a better runner than passer. That is the case with both Martinez and Armstrong.

WE WERE STILL IN A DOGFIGHT WITH PURDUE WITH 5 MINTUTES LEFT AT HOME. So I refuse to pretend everything is fine cuz we "scored 7 points under our average".

SO WAS MICHIGAN STATE OH MY GOD RABBLE RABBLE SEEMS LIKE THEY'RE DOING OKAY AND ONE OF THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY I GUESS THAT MEANS WE ARE REALLY GOOD TOO!!!

You can interpret it any way you'd like. The fact is that the offense is heavily predicated on the run so when you take a guy like Ameer out of the equation for whatever reason, the QB will struggle, particularly when they are a better runner than passer. That is the case with both Martinez and Armstrong.

Why not blame a lack of development on one of the highest paid OC/QB coach in all of college football, Timmy 700k Beck. It sure isn't our RBs fault our QB can't move on from his first target on a passing play

SO WAS MICHIGAN STATE OH MY GOD RABBLE RABBLE SEEMS LIKE THEY'RE DOING OKAY AND ONE OF THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY I GUESS THAT MEANS WE ARE REALLY GOOD TOO!!!

We pull this crap every week though.

To be fair Sparty played Purdue on the road, not in East Lansing.

I don't think I could do any better than Beck, but for what we're willing to pay, we could hire a much better offensive coordinator. I don't see Pelini making that happen though. Probably has a cousin coaching in the Canadian Football League, or something.

Like who?

We scored 35 points, which is one single touchdown under our average, which is 12th in the country, and we did it despite:

No Heisman candidate runningback

30mph winds

Tommy Armstrong fumbling or bobbling a handful of snaps

Two ugly interceptions

It wasn't a perfectly called game or a perfectly executed game but no game ever is and I just can not for the life of me figure out what the hell people want in order to be satisfied?

I don't think Purdue's defense is very good...I mean if you want to brag about 35 points against a terrible defense (especially when the last score came in garbage time after they handed us the ball twice in their territory after failing to convert on downs) then that's up to you. This offense is not good. Boom or bust again and that won't cut it against a real offensive team with even a decent defense.