***** What did we learn - Boilermaker Edition *****

Defensively and on special teams, the team is improving.

Offensively the team is getting worse.

I'm not so sure that Nebraska beats Wisconsin or Iowa on the road, on current form. Two weeks from now things could be different, but I don't know how they will be. A couple of interceptions, a couple of fumbles, failures to score when given excellent field position and a suddenly shaky kicking game aren't exactly giving me much confidence.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/pelini-optimistic-about-ameer-abdullah-after-nu-finds-a-way/article_cd97be8e-6219-11e4-97b6-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Most people think about it as just being a win for us, but I dont see it that way, said quarterback Tommy Armstrong, who threw two interceptions and completed just 8 of 21 passes. Purdues Purdue. But if we keep playing like this, were going to lose one of our games. Its unacceptable. Im embarrassed. ... The way we played, we should have lost.

I feel like I failed, he said. We won, but I feel like I failed. Our team got a win, but we play a team like Wisconsin or Iowa upcoming, its not going to be pretty.

Decent numbers without context against 7 bad teams isn't all that impressive.

Sounds like the Big 8 days in the 80s.

No. This is the worst schedule in a generation.

Nah.....K-State went winless for two full seasons in the 80s and almost a third, when they got one win. Only OU, Nebraska and Okie Lite had records above .500 for the decade, and Okie Lite's was by the hair of their chinny chin chin. Though to your point I understand a "generation" might mean since the 90s.

• Fire 1

Decent numbers without context against 7 bad teams isn't all that impressive.

Sounds like the Big 8 days in the 80s.

No. This is the worst schedule in a generation.

Nah.....K-State went winless for two full seasons in the 80s and almost a third, when they got one win. Only OU, Nebraska and Okie Lite had records above .500 for the decade, and Okie Lite's was by the hair of their chinny chin chin. Though to your point I understand a "generation" might mean since the 90s.

And that totally makes it ok.

Some of our "fans" will figure out a way to complain about the team

Hey, if you're ok with Beck driving this team into the ground like a f'ing' meteor, thats your prerogative...

Not to mention he ragged on Tommy all day in the game thread and again in his post in this thread.

Tommy is a player. A player that is playing poorly. But while I can be upset with his play and vocalize it, I will believe in the team. Notice I said team.

You won't see sky is falling threads from me. I might blow steam in the game day thread, and make accurate statements about a how a player played, but that is nowhere near the chicken little sh#t going on here.

The sky is not falling.

Our offense played poorly and still beat Purdue by 7 points more than Michigan State did.

All of our goals are still in front of us.

"beat Purdue by 7" I think I saw that the final score was 35-14. Did you learn your math skills in South Dakota? Just a refresher from an old guy who doesn't use a calculator all the time because he can still do math in his head. 35 minus 14 equals 21. Next time I'm at McDonalds and pay for a burger and coke with a 5 I hope its you waiting on me. If my change is too little I'll catch you and if its too much I'll leave

happy.

T_O_B

I think the play calling is suspect but you can't do much when our 230 lb running back falls over with first contact. If we kept running every play it would be 3 and out after 3 and out. On the flip side you can't keep passing when tommy throws right to defenders or over heads. We got a glimpse of next years offense. I'm scared for next year.

Put. Newby. In. The. Game. He got 5+ yards every time he touched the ball. Why is he not playing? He is a slightly less skilled, younger, abdulllah. Cross is a fullback trying to play RB.

Exactly and Beck is so afflicted with tunnel vision that he can't see it. Put TAJ under center (hopefully fixes the problem with the snap) and run an offence out of the I. I used to pray for world peace, I now pray that some AD has a brain fart and hires Beck as a head coach.

T_O_B

Our offense played poorly and still beat Purdue by 7 points more than Michigan State did.

All of our goals are still in front of us.

"beat Purdue by 7" I think I saw that the final score was 35-14. Did you learn your math skills in South Dakota? Just a refresher from an old guy who doesn't use a calculator all the time because he can still do math in his head. 35 minus 14 equals 21. Next time I'm at McDonalds and pay for a burger and coke with a 5 I hope its you waiting on me. If my change is too little I'll catch you and if its too much I'll leave

happy.

T_O_B

He was saying that we scored 7 more points on Purdue than MSU did when they beat Purdue last weekend.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/pelini-optimistic-about-ameer-abdullah-after-nu-finds-a-way/article_cd97be8e-6219-11e4-97b6-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Most people think about it as just being a win for us, but I dont see it that way, said quarterback Tommy Armstrong, who threw two interceptions and completed just 8 of 21 passes. Purdues Purdue. But if we keep playing like this, were going to lose one of our games. Its unacceptable. Im embarrassed. ... The way we played, we should have lost.

I feel like I failed, he said. We won, but I feel like I failed. Our team got a win, but we play a team like Wisconsin or Iowa upcoming, its not going to be pretty.

Didn't he say something similar after the Northwestern game? Talk is cheap, fix it, simple as that..........

What did I learn:

1.) TAJ and player Pellini need to practice snapping the ball for about 8 hours a day for 2/3 days.

2.) Kansas needs to step up, help us out and hire Beck. It won't help their football program (they are a basketball school anyway).

3.) I really want one of the new Cadillac's.

4.) Its an absolute travesty that Kenny Bell is even mentioned in the same paragraph as Johnny Rodgers.

5.) I can talk/flirt with a beautiful 20 something young lady and not come off looking like a 'dirty old man.'

6.) Huskerboard is sadly lacking in OPTIMISM.

7.) Bo is maturing as a head coach but needs to realize that as the head man in an organization you can't be friends with your subordinates.

8.) I also want a new bright red Mustang convertible.

9.) The Huskers are still my families No. 1 passion.

10.) The additions to the stadium may have created some problems we have never had before on windy days.

11.) My number 1 chartable donation is still Team Jack.

12.) Tommy either needs to grow a better 'stache or shave it off.

13.) When we win the next THREE we will become CINDERELLA.

14.) Not sure that we are as solid in the kicking game as we have been spoiled with.

15.) When I talk her into an extra glass of wine my wife can still get real cuddly.

16.) Cold weather SUCKS, I'm retired, Florida here We come, there are Husker Fans there too.

T_O_B

We got 2 blocked punts! How effin' awesome is that?!

Very. I hope we don't stop bringing the pressure. We really have a pick your poison special teams right now––something we haven't had in a long time. Either you kick it to Pierson-El (a heart attack waiting to happen), surrender yardage by trying to kick it out of bounds, or possibly watch your punter get destroyed before he's kicked anything anywhere. We're already really good in the STs department. I hope in the offseason we continue to build and polish a freakish punt blocking unit to go with the best punt returner in the college game.

• Fire 1