***** What did we learn - Boilermaker Edition *****

Defense and special teams look solid. They keep improving each week.

Tommy and a few other offensive players have taken up residence in their own heads. They look totally overwhelmed with simple stuff. Going 100mph trying to make big plays and the result is compounding errors in the form of baffling turnovers or ugly 3-and-out possessions.

Beck continues to think and scheme himself out of success.

I hope Ameer is a quick healer.

Glad the Skers are 8-1. Better lucky/ugly than good sometimes.

I think the play calling is suspect but you can't do much when our 230 lb running back falls over with first contact. If we kept running every play it would be 3 and out after 3 and out. On the flip side you can't keep passing when tommy throws right to defenders or over heads. We got a glimpse of next years offense. I'm scared for next year.

Put. Newby. In. The. Game. He got 5+ yards every time he touched the ball. Why is he not playing? He is a slightly less skilled, younger, abdulllah. Cross is a fullback trying to play RB.

This

• Fire 1

I think the play calling is suspect but you can't do much when our 230 lb running back falls over with first contact. If we kept running every play it would be 3 and out after 3 and out. On the flip side you can't keep passing when tommy throws right to defenders or over heads. We got a glimpse of next years offense. I'm scared for next year.

Put. Newby. In. The. Game. He got 5+ yards every time he touched the ball. Why is he not playing? He is a slightly less skilled, younger, abdulllah. Cross is a fullback trying to play RB.

This

Yeah, you can see it too. Newby has a skillset of his own but it resembles Abdullah a bit already.

• Fire 1

Until Imani Cross understands his role and starts playing like the type of back god built him to be, we're gonna continue to have this issue. I stole this from Benning who had a real nice commentary the other day that Imani seems to be trying too hard to be something he isnt and needs to understand that there's a role in this offense for him just the way he was made to be. Benning went on to explain how he went through the same thing as a sophmore, gaining weight to be more like Lawrence, Childs, and so on until he realized he had a role as well just the way he was.

Until Imani Cross understands his role and starts playing like the type of back god built him to be, we're gonna continue to have this issue. I stole this from Benning who had a real nice commentary the other day that Imani seems to be trying too hard to be something he isnt and needs to understand that there's a role in this offense for him just the way he was made to be. Benning went on to explain how he went through the same thing as a sophmore, gaining weight to be more like Lawrence, Childs, and so on until he realized he had a role as well just the way he was.

Cross isn't the one calling outside runs when he's in the game, I thought cross did a good job today lower the shoulder on a couple runs

Cross isn't the one calling outside runs when he's in the game, I thought cross did a good job today lower the shoulder on a couple runs

Just a couple?

Like I said.......

Imani Cross is a thumper back. He will never be the bellcow in this offense. NEVER. But there is a very solid role for him in it just the way he is. Until he comes to terms with that, he will continue to underwhelm.

We need a QB period. We have an athlete playing QB. This has developed into a trend.

Tommy is not or is ever going to be a QB, unless he gets a coach to teach him how to be. He needs as much work or more than his predecessor. He has very limited field presence. He is a leader, but lacks the basic skills to be a good passing QB.

He will cost us a game or two yet this year I am afraid. He gave them many opportunities this game.

Play calling continues to get worse, at the worst possible times. Pathetic when my son's wife asks, why are we passing the ball this late in the game when that far ahead? She started watching football less than a year ago.

I don't think I could do any better than Beck, but for what we're willing to pay, we could hire a much better offensive coordinator. I don't see Pelini making that happen though. Probably has a cousin coaching in the Canadian Football League, or something.

Like who?

We scored 35 points, which is one single touchdown under our average, which is 12th in the country, and we did it despite:

No Heisman candidate runningback

30mph winds

Tommy Armstrong fumbling or bobbling a handful of snaps

Two ugly interceptions

It wasn't a perfectly called game or a perfectly executed game but no game ever is and I just can not for the life of me figure out what the hell people want in order to be satisfied?

• Fire 6