Abdullah and the knee

If Ameer is out or not 100% I am really hoping Beck will have a clock management game plan...this is wishful thinking because he just doesn't seem to get that piece of it.

He won't unfortunately and he'll try and fit Imani Cross into AA's roll which is impossible for Cross and sets him up for failure. If he game plan's right for once, he'll see that Cross and Newby are very good and can get it done. I don't have faith that he'll do that though. Hopefully with two weeks to prepare we come out sharp and firing on all cylinders, but we didn't come out looking well after our last bye week, at least the first half we didn't look good.

• Fire 2

Trying to think about this from all possible angles.

I just don't see him being 100%. Not only does the knee have to heal and feel better, but then he needs time getting comfortable and confidence with all his jumping and cutting.

JT Barrett suffered a sprained mcl last week during the Penn State game. He looked just fine last night. Depends on the level of severity for Ameer, but from everything that has come out it was not that bad and he was asking to come back in.

I just don't see him being 100%. Not only does the knee have to heal and feel better, but then he needs time getting comfortable and confidence with all his jumping and cutting.

JT Barrett suffered a sprained mcl last week during the Penn State game. He looked just fine last night. Depends on the level of severity for Ameer, but from everything that has come out it was not that bad and he was asking to come back in.

Didn't know that, makes me feel a little better. Ameer just makes those cuts that seem like they put a lot of pressure on those knees

He won't unfortunately and he'll try and fit Imani Cross into AA's roll which is impossible for Cross and sets him up for failure. -BigRedIowan

I don't have a lot of complaints about Tim Beck, but this is one of them. I don't understand why we are asking Cross to run sideline to sideline or to do the read option. Let the dude get some momentum and get downhill. He doesn't have that instant acceleration that so many of our plays ask of AA. It's painful to watch Cross try to hit the corner or string a play out waiting for a gap. Let him play to his (literal) strength.

• Fire 2

Fowler's right, it doesn't seem like AAs injury was too severe. Plus, with somebody who's got as much experience as AA does, he won't need much time at all to get acclimated to using all his moves again. If AA is still hurting when cutting come next Saturday, we'll know right away and he probably won't play as much.

Either he'll be visibly limited or he'll be fine. Shouldn't have to worry about rust either way.

He won't unfortunately and he'll try and fit Imani Cross into AA's roll which is impossible for Cross and sets him up for failure. -BigRedIowan

I don't have a lot of complaints about Tim Beck, but this is one of them. I don't understand why we are asking Cross to run sideline to sideline or to do the read option. Let the dude get some momentum and get downhill. He doesn't have that instant acceleration that so many of our plays ask of AA. It's painful to watch Cross try to hit the corner or string a play out waiting for a gap. Let him play to his (literal) strength.

I'm not sure what games you guys are watching, but Newby gets the majority of carries in relief of Ameer and runs plays similar to Ameer. Cross gets the same power back carries he's gotten the past two seasons, to generally good results. Given that we've had comfortable leads in most of these games, and many think Cross should be our featured back next year, it makes sense to see what the guy can do.

Setting him up for failure? By giving him the ball too much? Not enough?

Or only in pre-approved spots between the tackles, where opposing DC's expect him to go?

Even in the overwrought world of Beck-bashing, this one's a doozy.

• Fire 4

Was wearing a brace and was mobile as all get out. Didn't appear to slow him or mess with his throwing. (16/26 passing and 300 yrs) (14 rushes for 86 yards and 2 TD's)

I think AA will be fine. Possibly a little slower, but should be effective. If beck was smart, he'd realize they'll copy MSU and stack the box, key on AA and take him out of the game. Use 2 back sets to counter this or the diamond..........

• Fire 1

I'm not sure what games you guys are watching, but Newby gets the majority of carries in relief of Ameer and runs plays similar to Ameer. Cross gets the same power back carries he's gotten the past two seasons, to generally good results. Given that we've had comfortable leads in most of these games, and many think Cross should be our featured back next year, it makes sense to see what the guy can do.

Setting him up for failure? By giving him the ball too much? Not enough?

Or only in pre-approved spots between the tackles, where opposing DC's expect him to go?

Even in the overwrought world of Beck-bashing, this one's a doozy.

Yeah, I don't know where guys are seeing so many of the outside runs for Cross this year. Sure from time to time he might get a stretch play or something, but the majority of calls have been to his strength this year.

IMHO Ameer should have been on the sideline watching Cross pound it up the middle for four downs in a row instead of being in the middle of it getting hurt. The dude's a tank (Cross) - I think we need to put him in there every time we need 1-2 yards. Line up, show what we're doing, hell just tell them what we're doing, and do it. Good ole Husker smash mouth football. No reason to have Ameer in there in those scenarios.

IMHO Ameer should have been on the sideline watching Cross pound it up the middle for four downs in a row instead of being in the middle of it getting hurt. The dude's a tank (Cross) - I think we need to put him in there every time we need 1-2 yards. Line up, show what we're doing, hell just tell them what we're doing, and do it. Good ole Husker smash mouth football. No reason to have Ameer in there in those scenarios.

I don't recall anybody complaining about Abdullah's four 1-yard TD runs a couple weeks ago against Northwestern. Abudllah was hurt when a lineman fell on him. It had nothing to do with the playcall or down or field position. It's football. Injuries happen.

My initial reaction in seeing AA there instead of Cross was "idiots", then I realized that the staff was doing what I wanted them to do. Pad the Hypesman stats.......Stat lines don't show yards per TD, they show total TD's. Prior to that game, IIRC, he was leading the FBS with TD's, throw in the NU records he broke, the B1G records he broke and will possibly break, coupled with a lot of TD's would help the Hypesman.

Had TA not fumbled the snap (1 of 5), and AA hadn't scooped it up and not gotten hurt, no foul. Had he scored and stayed healthy and put up another 200 yards and 3-4 TD's, he'd be the toast of NY. In the top 4 for sure. And the poor performance overall be be in the rear view.

Need to run more 2 back sets. It's simple. The D can't key on AA and TA and leave Newby or Cross untouched. Can't have Cross and Newby in he backfield and stack the box between the tackles as Newby could get the call and hit outside, fake the dive to Cross and TA keeps or option to Newby..... A lot of ways to get guys on the field without keying the D. beck just seems stuck in neutral.........

I'm 100% in agreement here although to elaborate I would say we line up I formation, fullback lead blocker or Cross at Fullback and Ameer or Newby behind him. Then give the ball to the FB or RB. Under center, smash mouth football. Funny how we call it smash mouth though, to me, that's just plain football. The game has changed.

Watching other teams this weekend though, I drew the conclusion that we don't stack up on the offensive line. A lot of teams do a way better job up front than Nebraska does. Not sure if it's a talent, scheme or coaching issue, but it's just my thought.